Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 19, 2015   #1
rtvvvv
Tomatovillian™

Default picking peppers

I'm growing sport peppers..(c. Anum) if i wait to pick them when they change color will the plant still make new peppers? or does the plant shut down when it has ripe peppers. (i'm new to peppers)

Thanks!
rtvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #2
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I never grew sport peppers, but peppers in general yield better when you keep them picked. They have a maximum fruit load that somehow keeps the plant from making so many peppers that it falls over. That said, with our seasons being short, if I like a certain kind of pepper red, then I pick it a day or two after it turns red. My cherry peppers don't usually ripen all at once. There are usually peppers still developing when frost hits, so as long as I have a decent harvest window I'm happy. There's no point in picking them at a stage you don't enjoy. Sport peppers are small, right? They will probably yield pretty well. Next year you can always put in more plants if you're not thrilled with the yield.

There are people on here who overwinter chili peppers and the plants get really enormous.

Welcome to growing peppers! You will probably find it addictive.

Last edited by Bipetual; July 19, 2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add a thought
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote