Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 29, 2015   #1
BvBDortmund09
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Flowers

Hey everyone. First time gardener here and I need some advice/help. I have 3 pepper plants in containers currently flowering, isn't it too early for this? I have an orange Habanero, red Scotch Bonnet and yellow Fatalii so they're not "early" varieties by any means. Before I transplanted them into their final containers in early June, they tried to flower but I snipped those off. This would be the second round of flowers. Should I snip these also or leave them be? I want the actual plants to grow bigger since they're only about 12" tall so far but I don't want to ruin a potentially good harvest by making a rash decision.
BvBDortmund09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My experience with Red Scotch Bonnet is that the plant is very compact and bushy. I've read that Habanero is similar, so I would expect it to have the same growth pattern. Given this and the fact that they are planted out, I would leave them and enjoy the early harvest.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
BvBDortmund09
Tomatovillian™

Haha I've noticed that! Thick and stocky stem but HUGE leaves. I was leaning towards leaving them be but wanted some input from more experienced growers. It's been nothing but cloudy, rainy and cooler here for the last month. I'm hoping July-August are bright and hot so the plants can start packing on some size! Thanks for the reply.
BvBDortmund09 is offline   Reply With Quote