Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 21, 2011   #31
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You guys all probably know how much I love data - so here is some data for you!

This is all for Black Cherry:

2011 - planted 160 seeds (4 X 40) - two cells in 4 days; two cells in 7 days (that flat had to wait a few days before getting onto the heat mats). No difference from the other 40 or so varieties in the flats in germination time.

2010 - planted 160 seeds (4 X 40) - two cells in 4 days, two cells in 5 days - same as the other 40 or so varieties in the flats

2009 - planted 200 seeds (5 X 40) - all five up in 3 days, same time as the other 40 or so varieties in the flat.

2008 - planted 100 seeds (4 X 25) - all 4 up in 3 days, same timing as the other varieties in the flat.

2007 - planted 60 seeds (2 X 30) - both up in 3 days, same time as the other varieties in the flat.

all of the above were vial 1888, which Darrel sent me in 2007

2006 - using my own saved seed saved in 2003 and 2004 - up in 4 or 5 days

2005 - didn't record the days - seed saved in 2003 and 2004

2004 - used 2003 seed - up in 5 days

2003 - the year I got it from TGSC - I got a few plants out of 10 seeds, but did note that it was low/slow germinating. But once I saved seed from that, it was fine going forward.
Old March 21, 2011   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

2003 - the year I got it from TGSC - I got a few plants out of 10 seeds, but did note that it was low/slow germinating. But once I saved seed from that, it was fine going forward.

That was also my experience getting the seeds to germinate when Black Cherry first bcame available and same for many other folks.

I asked Linda about it and she said that it appears that many of the seeds in that first batch in 2003 were not mature b'c Vince really wanted to get those seeds out there ASAP and he should have waited longer to do the seed production, which they did themselves with that very first batch.

And like you, once I saved my own seeds never a problem since. And I haven't been aware of any problems with BC seeds since that first batch back in 2003.
Old March 21, 2011   #33
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Craig and Carolyn,
Will let you know when I start seeds in next few weeks how the Black Cherries do. I bought a new seed packet this year. Tried to save seeds off last year but an unexpected thunderstorm knocked the cups over where they were fermenting, alas.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #34
tam91
Tomatovillian™

My Black Cherry seeds this year are from TGSC. I certainly understand about different starting media, conditions, etc. But mine are in the seed tray with a bunch of other varieties.

Now that I counted plants yesterday as I was transplanting some, I actually got poor germination from several varieties that I got from TGSC.

Black Cherry - 3 out of 10
Sungold - 3 out of 10
Big Beef - 1 out of 6
Cherokee Purple - 1 out of 8
Pineapple - 3 out of 8

Interesting - I have 20 row flats, and 20 different varieties from various sources in that same flat. So conditions are identical. Most had near perfect germination. My second flat has all germinated near perfectly as well. Two other varieties are also from TGSC, and did fine.

So overall, my TGSC seeds germinated far less than seeds from my other sources. Problem with the mail maybe?

Kinda bummed about the Black Cherry and the Sungold - I realy wanted to share more of those.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #35
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I did not respond to this thread earlier as I never had any issues but sowed 15 or so saved seeds from 2009 of my black cherries and got zero germination after 6 days so I will be re-sowing this weekend along with Big Beef that I received in 2009 from TGS and only had about 4 of 20 germination (I do recall much better germination last year so not blamming TGS) but other then those two all other seeds are doing great.

p.s only other thing I can think of is mail sorter issues as I seem to remember my seeds from TGS did not have a buble mailer and did see some indentations possibly caused by mail sorters and my have harmed the seeds.

p.p.s. Other thing I might have had issue with was sowing the cherry seeds too deep but the sungolds seemed to have been just fine and that was Johnny's as the source but do not think they came bubble wrapped either.

Oh the joys and dissappointments of seed starting good thing I have more variteies then space so if no germination then I plant something else in its place.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #36
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I had another person tell me of very poor germination from seeds ordered from TGS this year. Maybe it is their packaging?

I know I was surprised, I ordered some of my "really want" varieties from them, because they had such a good reputation, but every other soure's seeds far outperformed them for me.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #37
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

An update on my saved Black Cherry seeds as of this morning I have one up and 4-5 poking threw so either panted too deep or just took a few extra days to start I think I am only on day 6 anyway but the big beef seeds are getting re-sown today and this packet was from Johnny's. I am sure once I do this the other big beefs will start coming up

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #38
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Update from me~ I had my first tomato seedlings pop their heads up today. Of the 4 varieties that did, Black Cherry was among them.(Micro Tom is leading the pack.) Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #39
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

All 117 seeds that I planted from TGS germinated!

[Stupice, Opalka, Big Beef, Sun Sugar, Carmen Pepper, Gypsy Pepper]

Sadly, I lost 2 Big Beef plants [one cell] to damping off . The other 71 cells still look healthy and upright [knock on wood] - first true leaves are showing.

I have quite a few extra Ludmilla's Red Plum & Sophie's Choice seedlings. These seeds from Heritage Harvest Seed were literally cemented together. Didn't want to accidentally break a seed in half whilst separating them, so I dropped little 'bits of the block' into the potting mix.
That is good though because I think Sophie's Choice will be a hit with friends and family that have limited gardening space.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote