Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2010   #1
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Default Danko

I noticed Sandhill Preservation listed Danko as a semi-determinate. Does Danko set fruit right up until frost, or does it just set fruit once and stop producing?

Approximately how tall do the plants grow (what size of cage would I need)?

Which would be more productive for making pasta sauce: Danko or Sarnowski Polish Plum?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
I noticed Sandhill Preservation listed Danko as a semi-determinate. Does Danko set fruit right up until frost, or does it just set fruit once and stop producing?

Approximately how tall do the plants grow (what size of cage would I need)?

Which would be more productive for making pasta sauce: Danko or Sarnowski Polish Plum?
Danko is a red heart and yes, semi-det. I got my seeds from a friend of a friend who was in the CIS and bought back 12 packs of seeds ofdifferent varieties. Tania and Andrey also list it in the SSE YEarbook as I do and I sent it to the several seed sites where I usually send seeds for trial where I know the owners and have for quite a while.

Yes, it can and does set fruits up to frost, atleastfor me where I live.

I have no idea how tall the plants get b'c I sprawl all of my tomato plants.

Which would be more productive between Danko, and Sarnowski Polish Plum, another variety I introduced? Production-wise Sarnoski, taste wise, Danko.

So make a sauce with some of each and you've got a winner.

Here's Tania's page for Danko:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

THe picture shown on that page does not accurately depict Danko, IMO. It's not a heart with an acute tip, rather, more of a blunt tip such as Wes.

I'm pretty sure I'll be again offering Danko seeds here in my seed offer, but not Sarnowski Polish Plum b'c I have been offering them here but now I think they're too old to distribute seeds for them.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/S...ki_Polish_Plum

Above is Tania's Sarnowski page.

As for seed sources, Tania tries to keep up but with thousands of varieties featured it's almost impossible to do. For instance, I see Victory seeds listed for Danko, but just went there and don't see it, although it was there. Probably not good seed production is the reason.
Old November 20, 2010   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

Danko: got to about 3' growing in a trellis. Weak stems,
clusters with extreme numbers of flowers, although they
did not set significantly more fruit for the plant than
the Kardinal plant (same size plant) right next to it that
had more normal numbers of flowers per cluster.

It was a fairly cool year, so I could not get a good idea
of what production potential might be for Danko
in someplace with warmer summers.

Last edited by dice; November 20, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: trivial
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010   #4
Tworivers1
Tomatovillian™

I grew Danko for the first time this year and they grew a little more than three foot on trellised against a cattle panel.

I also had a tremedous amount of flowers early but the our temperature here in St Louis jumped up from the mid 80's to the high 90's and stayed there for a week. I only ended up getting six or so tomatos and they never produced another flower for the remainder of the year.

I'll try them again next year.
Tworivers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010   #5
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworivers1 View Post
I grew Danko for the first time this year and they grew a little more than three foot on trellised against a cattle panel.

I also had a tremedous amount of flowers early but the our temperature here in St Louis jumped up from the mid 80's to the high 90's and stayed there for a week. I only ended up getting six or so tomatos and they never produced another flower for the remainder of the year.

I'll try them again next year.
That's interesting. Our weather is very similar to St. Louis.
Old November 21, 2010   #6
Tworivers1
Tomatovillian™

I really had high hopes when I saw all those flowers but I think the jump in temperature happened at absolutely the wrong time for me.

At least for me last year, Danko definitely acted as a determinate because I never saw any more flowers the rest of the season.

Now Kosovo was one of my better producing tomatos this year although it got fairly big.
Tworivers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2010   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworivers1 View Post
I really had high hopes when I saw all those flowers but I think the jump in temperature happened at absolutely the wrong time for me.

At least for me last year, Danko definitely acted as a determinate because I never saw any more flowers the rest of the season.

Now Kosovo was one of my better producing tomatos this year although it got fairly big.
I can perfetly well understand the high temps causing blossom drop, b'c this past season the same thing happened to me here in my zone 5 upstate NY. Unusual weather for us, but almost two months of high temps and high humidity, the result of which I didn't get ANY fruits off half the plants I had out there regardless of plant habit.

I didn't grow Danko this past season, but when I've grown it in the past it has blossomed and produced fruits all season.

The old adage is that determinates produce one flush of fruits and that's it. But I've seen folks post about some determinates they grow that do produce all season, so I don't equate plant habit det with just one flush of fruits.
Old November 21, 2010   #8
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The old adage is that determinates produce one flush of fruits and that's it. But I've seen folks post about some determinates they grow that do produce all season, so I don't equate plant habit det with just one flush of fruits.
When I started growing tomatoes, the first variety I grew was Celebrity. Most places list it as a determinate (a few list as SD). The first fruit set was the largest, but the plants always produced tomatoes right up until frost for me.
Old November 21, 2010   #9
travis
Tomatovillian™

Determinate describes a growth pattern relative to the number of internodes between flowerings, and the eventual termination of every shoot with a flower cluster. How long it takes the entire plant to cease successive shoot production and termination is a function of the individual variety's genetics, and often leads some growers to look for other definitions for a long lived variety that in fact is a determinate tomato.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote