Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 17, 2009   #1
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil to use when potting up?

I'm sure this has been covered many times but couldn't find any info poking throw the posts. What mix do you use when you pot up from the starter mix to a larger pot? I've heard potting soil with a mix of the starter? Also, when do you fertilize and what fertilizer? I roasted my plants with spray fertilizer last time I tried to raise from seeds so I'm a little gun shy.

Thanks for your time.
Old February 17, 2009   #2
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

John, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in but I've never used any fertilizer when I'm potting up my maters. They dont seem to be in pots very long til I get 'em in the ground. I do a little fertilizing when I put 'em in the ground but not to pot up. I've had success with just plain Miracle Grow potting soil.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

I like to use either the exact same mix for potting up, or one very similar that contains mostly the original starting mix. Reason being, if the composition of the two varies drastically, water can move from one mix to the other, causing the initial root ball to either dry out or drown. So a little potting soil in the starter mix as you suggested would be okay. Just adding a little compost to the starter mix would be better.

I do like to add a little fertilizer when potting up. A little kelp meal does wonders. TomatoTone is a good choice as well. Whatever you use (if anything), try 1/4 to 1/2 strength. I also use kelp extract in the water, and add to that fish emulsion around the time of potting up - hopefully by then it's getting close to hardening-off time, and you can water with fish emulsion when the plants are outside during the day... When the plants are still young and in the vegetative phase, a little nitrogen is not a bad thing.
Old February 17, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Last year when potting up my seedlings which were germinated in Jiffy 7's I put them in 4" CowPots using
Fox Farms "Light Warrior". Had excellent results. Ami

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_soils3.html
Old February 17, 2009   #5
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I use whatever potting mix was cheapest at the garden center (bought six bags last year). Unfortunately this current mix has no additional fertilizer in it so if I do not fertilize them the seedlings don't get over 4" tall (found that out the hard way). After potting up there is generally a lot of soil in relation to plant size so light fertilizing (1/4 to 1/2 strength) gets a relatively large amount of nutrients into the pot.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #6
salix
Tomatovillian™

My .02 - I start my seeds with a porous potting soil and just a layer of seed starting mix on top. For potting on, more of the porous potting mix (probably about 60 - 70%), mixed with compost, worm poop, and any 'other' potting soil leftovers from the previous season. To my husband's dismay, there is a large tub of potting soil permanently set up in the garage. Makes it easier, warmer and tidier to work out there when there is still snow on the ground. Watering is with very dilute kelp and compost tea after the seedlings get their true leaves. Have a real shuffle system - from filling flats in the garage, bring them into basement for planting and germination (large shelving unit with 4' fluorescent fixtures on 3 levels). After they are well established, they get shuffled back to the garage, again under fluorescent lights - the colder temperatures keep them compact. Of course, then more flats go inside for a new wave of germinating. When weather permits, the "garage stock" gets shuffled outside for fresh air and sunshine. Seems a complicated regimen seeing it written out, but it works well and I manage to get several hundreds of great transplants of flowers and veggies each year for our own use and for donation to plant sales. Some years have managed a couple thousand, nowhere near what some of you produce, but not bad for a one-(rickety) woman show. Am anxiously waiting for the new season - still a couple of months away up here.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #7
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thank you ALL for your posts. Lots of good info. Looks like I'm going to have to investigate some kind of compost tea, kelp solution, etc...

Thanks for your time.
Old March 18, 2010   #8
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I started some peppers in Light Warriors Seed Starter. Now I am ready to pot up and I went to get the Light Warrior Grow Medium suggested by Ami. Well, the store didn't have that one, but they had Foxfarm's Original Planting Mix. The guys at the store thought it was ok, but I want to make sure. It says "for in ground planting" and has earthworm castings and bat guano. I am going to wait until I hear from you T'ville experts.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #9
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Foxfarm's Original Planting Mix
The ingredients sound good, but it probably has more large
chunks in it than the potting soil. Maybe screen it through
a piece of surplus window screen into a tub or wheelbarrow,
use the fine stuff for potting up, and mix the big chunky stuff
that will not pass through the screen into the soil around
the planting holes (or into the final container mix if growing
in containers).

edit: This page describes both the potting soil and soil amendment:
http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_soils1.html
Old March 18, 2010   #10
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dice...that's a great suggestion!
Old March 19, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, check out this link for retailers in you state for Fox Farm Products. I have no experience with the "Original Planting Mix" but one bag weighs 30lbs and the same amount of Light Warrior weight 12lbs so that should give you an Idea of what your dealing with. Also most hydroponic shops carry Fox Farm products as well. Ami

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/dis...e.php?state=WI
Old March 19, 2010   #12
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Ami, I did use that to find the store near me where I have purchased the products. Now I have called Fox Farms customer service and they told me that the 1st bag that I purchased (FF Light Warrior Seed Starter) is just the same version of your Light Warrior in a new bag. When I told them that I was putting my seedlings into their little pots, they told me to use the FF Planting Mix if the seedlings were going into the ground and FF Ocean Forest Mix if they were going into pots. So, it sounded like I should not be using the seed starting mix at this next level. Later, I was going to transplant some peppers into raised beds and some into pots. And I may end up using some of the Happy Frog product for larger pots as the Ocean Forest is pretty expensive I have been told.
Old March 20, 2010   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, I have heard from other posters that the FF Ocean Forest Mix is a little "Hot" on the fertilizer side and did not recommend it for tomato seedlings. I checked the bag I received last month and yes indeed they took out the ORGANIC and replaced with SEED STARTER. I opened the bag and it is the same stuff and for me seems a little course for a seed starting aggregate. In case folks would like to know why I am sold on this product here is some pictures of my bag with the ingredients. And the ph is adjusted to 6.3-6.8 which is perfect for tomatoes. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1599.JPG (127.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1600.JPG (163.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1602.JPG (158.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1603.JPG (154.3 KB, 58 views)
Old March 20, 2010   #14
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info on the Oceans Forest mix. I used the Light Warrior to start the seeds and my seeds have germinated sooner and at a higher rate than last year when used something else. I am ready to put my peppers in small pots. So, if the OF mix is too hot, I was wondering about the FF Planting Mix, but can't find ingredients on the bag. I would think the peppers are ready for the next step up from the seed mix.
Old May 28, 2010   #15
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Farmette, I have heard from other posters that the FF Ocean Forest Mix is a little "Hot" on the fertilizer side and did not recommend it for tomato seedlings. I checked the bag I received last month and yes indeed they took out the ORGANIC and replaced with SEED STARTER. I opened the bag and it is the same stuff and for me seems a little course for a seed starting aggregate. In case folks would like to know why I am sold on this product here is some pictures of my bag with the ingredients. And the ph is adjusted to 6.3-6.8 which is perfect for tomatoes. Ami

I live a few miles from these guys. That stuff works great for what it was designed for here in Humboldt County California. Not my taste, but it works pretty good. The Ocean Forest is HOT, but works good for locals only growing indoors under lights.

Like I said, not my taste, but it works. Personally, I like Black Gold's products because it is not designed for that Humboldt market.

http://www.blackgold.bz/potting-soils.html

Cactus mix with Osmocote and a layer of seed starter on top to germinate in. Awesome.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote