Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 26, 2011   #1
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

Default This years tomatoes

so far 100% success with germination , planted seeds 3 weeks ago
90% sprouted within 5 days the remainder within about 8 days
all have true leaves now with avg height 4-6 inches ,(the Tidwell is more like 8") I planted them up to 4 inch solo cups today.

I normally use jiffy mix , but had a hard time finding some and only had a partial bag left so I mixed it 1:1 with miracle grow starter mix.

can't complain except I don't like the consistency of the Miracle grow ,,it was full of chunks and twigs .It was really hard to even see where a seed dropped !

I kept everything at 80f than dropped to 70f ,once sprouted. they received a light dilution of seaweed/fish liquid after 2 weeks and once transferred.

Lincoln Adams
Purple Dog Creek
Red Boar
Big Sungold Select
Haley's Purple Comet
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Brandywine(suddith)
Super Souix
Tidwell German
Amazon Chocolate
Aunt Ginny's Purple

I also had some Criolla pepper seeds that I tossed in and they are happy but it's going to be a while till they can go outside.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #2
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphid View Post
...I don't like the consistency of the Miracle grow ,,it was full of chunks and twigs .It was really hard to even see where a seed dropped !
I felt the same way.. will definitely use a different mix next season.

Well done! Can't ask for anything better than 100% germination.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2011   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

congradulations on your germination rate! great job. hope you fully enjoy your garden
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2011   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Yes, aphid Miracle Grow seed starting mix is mixed with things that are not fully composted. It used to be a good local buy, but I’ve gone to Natural Beginnings from Gardens Alive. Now, I do mix in some vermiculite because it doesn’t look ‘drainage enough for me’, though it may be just fine right out of the bag. It does have the ‘renewable’ coconut husk parts and pieces and organic additions, but the quality is so much higher than most of which you’ll find locally. I also like Wonder Soil so you should look that up for next year as well. Your list is high on the BLT tomato so I wish you well on the ‘T’ part. -Randy
Old March 27, 2011   #5
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

thanks ,
the purple dog creek was the slowest to sprout ,I wasn't sure it would, but it finally did. the next slowest to sprout were the red boar farms variety's for some reason. the rest were all up in about 3 days.

as for the miracle grow seed starter mix , It seems to me like miracle grow potting mix,just in a different bag.

I'll get a couple pics up today
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote