Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 11, 2007   #31
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I have had some fruitset on Marizol Korney and CBC for a while, but now am starting to get some good/decent fruitset as temperatures continue to cool.

Have a ripe one on the SunPlum PL. 'Almost' red is a good description, it's definitely not a dark red.

Surprisingly, no ripes on the RLs yet, even though it's smaller fruited and they set around the same time as the PL. Go figure.

SunPlum PL F5, next to Sweet Quartz and Jimmy Nardello -10/11/07
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2007   #32
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Here's the RL F5:

Click for Larger Size
Old October 26, 2007   #33
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Another picture of SunPlum PL F5, taken 10/26. Flavor is very good. It does get a little darker when very ripe, but still has a hint of orange undertone to it:

Click for Larger Size
Old October 26, 2007   #34
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Thanks for the updated pics! I e-mailed you before seeing them all... the RL looks really thick walled... I don't think mine were that thick but they definitely were super productive!

What color would you call Marizol Korney? And what color segregations are you getting from Cherokee Bi-Color? I think I have 4 different color schemes/lines this year...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2007   #35
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks for the updated pics! I e-mailed you before seeing them all... the RL looks really thick walled... I don't think mine were that thick but they definitely were super productive!

What color would you call Marizol Korney? And what color segregations are you getting from Cherokee Bi-Color? I think I have 4 different color schemes/lines this year...
Okay, will check e-mail.

No ripes from MK or CB-C yet.
Old October 27, 2007   #36
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Oh, one more thing - yes, the RLs are thick walled. Also, on all three of the plants, fruit is identical. I want to keep working with it, so think about it and let me know at some point if you want me to grow next spring from your saved seeds this year, or mine. I think we were both growing the F5 this year...
Old November 9, 2007   #37
korney19

I got your PM.

I will try to get you seeds from some of my RL's here and grow some of mine & yours next season to see if there's any difference.
Old November 21, 2007   #38
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Mark, when you get a chance, what is the history of Marizol Korney? What generation are we at with this one, also what was the original cross (or what is it a sport or mutation of) if known? Thanks.

I have two plants of MK in this fall. The fruits on both are a pink-black (clear epidermis). However, fruit size for one plant is a little larger than tennis ball size and around 4.5 - 5 ounces, while fruits on the other plant are shaping up to be significantly smaller.

Will take pics of some of the smaller fruits once they are completely ripe, for now, here is a pic of a couple of the larger ones (taste is very good to excellent - 8.75 easily):

Click for Larger Size
Old December 3, 2007   #39
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Here's a picture of both these small and large Marizol Korney fruits from two different plants I was talking about.

Cherokee Bi-Color #2 also pictured. From plants #1 and #2, fruits were not bicolor. They more or less look (and taste) like Cherokee Green. Plant #3 is promising though, larger fruit, and looks like there might be a little more coloration when the one I have on the counter ripens up completely.

Click for Larger Size
Old December 8, 2007   #40
Suze
Tomatovillian™

At long last - A Cherokee Bi-color that is bicolor (from plant #3). 10 oz.

Click for Larger Size

Click for Larger Size
Old December 8, 2007   #41
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Very very pretty...... (wipes slobber from the keyboard)
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2007   #42
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
Very very pretty...... (wipes slobber from the keyboard)
I'm excited about this one because flavor is very good, and will definitely continue to work with it next spring. It basically has the same flavor profile of Cherokee Green. At least a 7.5, but it is so hard to give fair evaluations of taste this time of year. That particular fruit had at least a couple of nights in the 30's and several in the low 40's.

It's the only fruit I got from that plant before the frost.
Old December 8, 2007   #43
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Suze, that is a most excellent looking tomato! Really gorgeous. Can you or Korney refresh my memory (or point me to the thread) on how that one came about?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #44
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ruth, I don't know the specifics, so Mark will have to elaborate when he gets a chance.

What I recall is that it's a cross of Cherokee Green and one of the yellows in Carolyn's book (I think). I don't know much about tomato genetics, and am wondering how I would have gotten that interesting, almost flourescent pink coloration from a green x yellow.

Still a lot of segregation going on with this one, out of three plants, I only got one to give me a bicolor. And, as Mark mentions earlier in this thread, he is still getting different color schemes with it.

I think Grub has also grown it at some point.
Old January 22, 2008   #45
korney19

Hi, I got a break here for a moment so will try to catch up...

I grew 3 Cherokee Bi-Colors here and got 3 different results, ALL different! One was mostly a lighter, clear yellow. One was yellow with a red blush on the bottom that progressed up the tomato the longer you waited. The 3rd was quite similar to the 2nd one in Suze's pics, but green with orange radiating from the bottom. The longer you wait with this one, the tomato changed to almost golden orange with red radiations. So you could eat it as a green tomato with orange blush, or as an orangish tomato with a reddish radiation. This was all from the same tomato, it just depended how long you let it ripen.

I also grew 3 at location #2 and all 3 there were similar to Cherokee Green. They were green with Amber bottoms.

As for the Marizol Korney, I got 1 plant that produced PL black fruits from a planting of Marizol Purple, which should be a pink RL. Every year I grew it I always got something about the size of a hardball, just barely a little less than a perfect globe like Eva Purple Ball. It even had that white speckling/mottling if you looked closely at the skin, similar to Eva Purple Ball, but not pink. I didn't go thru all the pages in this thread but I think I may have posted results of it from 2 different seasons. The one looks like it has ribbing on top but that was mostly from me storing them upside-down in those web/mesh open flats/trays.

This year I didn't grow it. I think I've been growing it from around 2002 or 2003 but grew Grub's in its place in '07.