Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2007   #16
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
On the Sun Plum F4 have you ever had any reports of two shapes of fruit on the same plant. Reviewing my note from last fall I had the mini Juliet Orange Fruit and I had a translucent light orange globe shaped cherry. The cherry had a crunchy texture and the mini Juliet had excellent taste. I could have unknowingly transplanted two plants or one seed may have germinated after transplanting giving me two plants in the same hole.

Here's hoping the mini Juliets become more orange as things progress.

MikeInCypress.
Old April 23, 2007   #17
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Michael, the closest I came to two shapes was one round and one that was wider on the bottom. I never paid attention to if it was just one cluster or not. That was last year here. Spoon & KJB was completely different looks & size, see pic above. Even taste was different between the 2.

John, got your SASE around 3 and sent out around 4pm...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #18
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

My SASE is en route.. should arrive Tues. or Wed.
Old April 26, 2007   #19
korney19

Got it! Will fill it & take to P.O. Thursday or Friday.

Mark
Old April 26, 2007   #20
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! I'll start looking for it next week Quite the anniversary present
Old April 26, 2007   #21
korney19

Yep, think you were referring to K?
Old April 30, 2007   #22
korney19

Neil, got yours Saturday, went out yesterday...

Anybody starting Nipples, I must have given you anywhere from 25-40+ seeds, they are too small to bother counting. Since I didn't have any luck with them the year I tried, it would be useless to NOT try germinating all of them--saving a few would be safe, but if you can't get the majority to sprout, do you really think the few you hold back may sprout another time? I have plenty so try sowing all of them, maybe with different methods-- soak, wet paper towel in a ziploc, soilless mix barely covered, vermiculite, etc. Maybe it was the methods I used for sowing that didn't work, maybe they are temperamental, maybe the mix was too heavy. Let me know if any are successful.
Old May 1, 2007   #23
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Mark, seeds arrived yesterday. Thanks! It's far to hot to think about putting out any new seedlings at this point, but around August 1, I'm going to be starting lots of your seed for my fall crop. Perhaps I'll try starting a seed or two of 'Nipples' using some special tricks, and if they sprout, coddle them along for a couple months

In the mean time, they've got a nice safe, cool spot in my seed case.
Old May 1, 2007   #24
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mark, I actually found potato leaf in my early efforts to dehybridize Sungold. I ended up, in the F2, a small red potato leaf cherry. It appeared to come true (I shelved the project after a few years - more interesting things took over!).
Old May 17, 2007   #25
korney19

Thanks Craig. I never ran into any PL versions in any of the generations yet so will grow both the RL & PL. I wasn't sure if the PL came from Sungold or Juliet. I just don't know how much room I'll have to grow a sufficient # of each leaf type.
Old June 23, 2007   #26
korney19

Any updates?

Anybody currently growing any of these:

SunPlum
Nipples
Korney's Cross
Marizol Korney
Marizol Maroon
Kellogg's West Virginia
Cherokee Bi-Color
Oleyar's German

Has anybody gotten Nipples to germinate?

Please post any news/updates/results/plans. Thanks.
Old June 23, 2007   #27
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing SunPlum, Marizol Korney, and Cherokee Bi-Color for fall crop. Seeds were sown on 6/11-6/12; germination was good for all three. They've been under lights for about a week now, and all have their first set of true leaves.

Will plant out at least 3-5 plants each of SunPlum and Ch B-C as we discussed. More in the the spring.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #28
korney19

I just harvested 2 Cherokee Bi-colors, had just a tiny sampling when I was saving seeds. They were quite early due to the heatwave we've had last month... I think they were planted 6/8 or 6/9.

Also, SunPlum PL is putting out tasty "almost reds" about the size of Jaune Flammee. The RL SunPlum is putting out huge clusters or dark orange to red cherries, maybe about the size of a quarter. Haven't tasted any yet--seems my 80-yr old mom with Dementia/Alzheimers has been robbing my plants when I'm sleeping! Sungold too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0520.jpg (78.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0546.jpg (41.8 KB, 22 views)
Old September 24, 2007   #29
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Also, SunPlum PL is putting out tasty "almost reds" about the size of Jaune Flammee. The RL SunPlum is putting out huge clusters or dark orange to red cherries, maybe about the size of a quarter.
Okay, that seems in line with what I am also seeing so far, time will tell as I get some ripe ones. I am also observing the almost multiflora trusses on the RL, but much of that might not make it to actual fruit set for me this time of year.

I took some pictures of SunPlum F5 fruit set and blossoms yesterday. It was a little late in the evening, and I forgot to use flash, so some of the pictures are a bit dark. If you go to the links below the pictures, larger versions of the images are available. The PL seems like it will turn out to be larger fruited and has fewer (and larger) blossoms to a truss than the RL. Will post back when I get the first ripe ones.

General notes: Seed started 6/12, Four plants (one PL, three RLs) set out 8/1, first fruit set noticed 9/15 on both RL and PL. Also, I am not seeing any detectable differences in any of the RLs so far, but will be sure to note it -- and save seeds by plant number in the garden if I do.

SunPlum F5 - Sept 23, 2007

SunPlum F5 blossoms - Sept 23, 2007

SunPlum F5 (PL) - Sept 23, 2007

SunPlum F5 (PL) blossoms - Sept 23, 2007
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007   #30
korney19

Thanks for the pics!