Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2009   #1
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting scared about tomorrow nights temps.

It is supposed to get down to 37 degrees here tomorrow night. There should not be any frost because of how windy it is, but can they take 37 degrees? My plants are way too big now to bring in or properly cover. I could probably throw a sheet of plastic over them, but I can not get the plastic all the way to the ground so I don't know if it's worth trying. I am really hoping it stays just a couple degrees warmer than they are predicting. Will they be ok as long as there is no freeze or frost? They are all loaded with blooms/fruitlets is there any chance they make it through? I was able to get all of my pepper seedlings into the greenhouse so at least I won't lose everything if it gets even colder than expected.
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #2
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Any frost will burn them like you put them in a microwave. They can handle 37 degrees, but I'd cover with a floating row cover or sheet of some sort. Avoid plastic touching the leaves if you use that. All my plants are in my greenhouse with two heaters on...supposed to be 20 tonight!
Old April 6, 2009   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just too add, your plants will do just fine as long as they don't freeze or get frosted on.

If you know it wont get to freezing then don't worry about it, in a couple of days they will never know it happened.
Mine get that cold all of the time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #4
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
Any frost will burn them like you put them in a microwave. They can handle 37 degrees, but I'd cover with a floating row cover or sheet of some sort. Avoid plastic touching the leaves if you use that. All my plants are in my greenhouse with two heaters on...supposed to be 20 tonight!
I should not have to worry about the frost. The winds are supposed to be around 20 mph so I think that should keep the frost away. I am most worried about the fruilets that are already set. My brandyines both have a few fruitlets, and with brandywines reputation for fruit set I really dont want to lose the early fruits. The scorcing heat is just around the corner. Good luck with yours. I am sure you will be fine in the greenhouse. I wish my greenhouse was big enough, but all of my GH space is reserved for my tropical fruits
Old April 6, 2009   #5
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just too add, your plants will do just fine as long as they don't freeze or get frosted on.

If you know it wont get to freezing then don't worry about it, in a couple of days they will never know it happened.
Mine get that cold all of the time.

Worth

Thanks, I can't imagine it will actually get below freezing but I am putting a lot of faith in the weather channels website. I hope they are not off by a few degrees, because it's way too late for me to start over down here.
Old April 6, 2009   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

it just looked on weather underground and saw your area might get to 34, (That's close)

From your post it sounds as though they may be in containers.
Too tall,think outside the box and lay them over on their sides, even bunched up if you have to.
Then put a blanket over them, it will not hurt the plants.
Just be careful.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #7
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I could get them on their sides without a lot of the soil dumping out, and most of the containers are too heavy to turn over but I might give it a try on some of the smaller ones. Right now my plan is to just buy a bunch of plastic and doing the best I can covering them with it. On the hr by hr forcast it looks like it will only be really cold from about 5 to 7 am. I am hoping that is not long enough to cause too much damage.
Old April 6, 2009   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Move them as close together as you can. Then do your plastic - maybe using duct tape to get a minimum of enclosured areas. Then go get the Christmas lights out and shoved a few strings in there with them - lay them on top of the soil and try to block the wind. The heat off the lights will give you a hedge against the falling temps.

Seems I have to do it every year.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

A lot of good Siberian varieties can set fruit at those night temps...they may not thrive , but that is very survivable...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Bring them into the house. You wouldn't believe how many plants fit in my office.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #11
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

If the unmentionable happens - pm me & I will send you replacements - I have plants coming outta my ears ( & the garage & the back of the pickup & packed onto the black soil of the outdoor raised beds...) thanks to all the wonderful Tomatovillian advice I've received. I'd be happy to "pass it forward" if yours get hurt.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #12
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
If the unmentionable happens - pm me & I will send you replacements - I have plants coming outta my ears ( & the garage & the back of the pickup & packed onto the black soil of the outdoor raised beds...) thanks to all the wonderful Tomatovillian advice I've received. I'd be happy to "pass it forward" if yours get hurt.

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Old April 6, 2009   #13
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

got down to 38 with my plants last season - was the worst - plants turned a brownish color and stunted for 2 weeks - didn't lose any: but stunted

cover those plants with something !!!

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Was it windy/rainy, Tom? I've had hundreds of seedlings outside down to 34 degrees two nights in a row with no ill effects. It is wet, lashing wind that really hits the plants and turns them ugly.
Old April 6, 2009   #15
dew
Tomatovillian™

Really
Last month we got to 37, and the winds just blew holes in leaves and ripped small plants apart
I am going to cover. Again.
dew is offline   Reply With Quote