Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2009   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE requests this year - strange?

There is certainly a new pattern with the SSE requests this year (for me anyway):

I am getting the same number of SSE requests as in 2008 and 2007, but 80% of them are $2.00 requests for 1 variety. About half of these requests had $2 US check enclosed, which eventually became an embarrassing thing for me to go the the bank every few days to deposit one $2 US check (every teller in that branch now know me and laugh every time I come in). In Canada, I cannot simply deposit the US checks through an ATM, I have to go to the bank. It is my fault, as I said in my SSE blurb I do accept US checks, but I never thought anyone would bother to write a $2 check... It probably costs the banks more than $2 to process a $2 check...
Now I know better and will indicate explicitly that no checks under $10 will be accepted.

Did anyone else had similar experience this year?

And this is the first year when I got 3 requests with insufficient payments - $2 requests for squash, melon, or bi-annual seeds, all from non-listed members. All three requested 1 variety only. It costs me $3 to send this 1 packet of seeds ($2 postage + $1 bubble mailer).

I also got 1 request with no payment enclosed, for tomato seeds, and sent it anyway. I am sure the person simply forgot to put the money into the envelope, this happens.

Here is a question for other listed SSE members: what do you do when you get a request with insufficient payment or no payment at all? I feel very uncomfortable mentioning that, as I do not want people to feel bad or, even worse, send me the additional $1...

I am actually dreading coming home and discovering yet another $2 US check in the mail.

Edit: I really have quite mixed feelings about this.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; March 27, 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have had more SSE requests this year than the last three years combined and all have included cash. Most have been members with just a couple of non-members. Like you, if I had received no payment, the seeds would have been sent but with a reminder and maybe the cash would be sent. I think a non payer or a non-sufficient check would be on the do not send list for the next year.
Old March 27, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania, since 17 of my varieties were left out of the Yearbook this isn't the most typical year for me, but most, not all, requests have been for just one or two varieties, and yes, a couple of checks for $2.

I tend to get a fair number of unlisted members b'c I ask only $2 for both listed and unlisted members from the US and Canada, and all others just $3/pack for from 25-30 seeds/pack.

And I always send a gift pack as well, even when it's just one variety requested. Since all my 2007 ones were left out I was sending out those as gift seeds, for the most part. Usually I take a look at what someone has requested and I can usually determine if it's hearts they like or orange/yellows that they don't like, etc. and then choose the gift seeds accordingly.

And I just checked and see tht you too are asking $2 for both listed and unlisted SSE members, so both of us are asking well below the SSE suggesed request prices.

I had several folks who did not read my blurb carefully and sent too much money, which I returned.

And this year, to date, I haven't received any requests lacking payment, but I have in the past, have sent the seeds with a note about that and have always received the money back.

Paul, I forgot to check your state so I could look you up to see what you were asking and how many varieties you were listing and when I scroll down to look at your post all it says is Paul and if I go back up to check your state I lose this post and I'm tired tonight and don't want to do that.
Old March 28, 2009   #4
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I offered one variety of tomatoe seeds free, for a SASE this year, and got a fair number of takers; a few of those sent money instead. Interestingly enough, several of them were from folks I know to have a real "jones" for this sort of thing...fancy that! I also got an order from a gentleman for the 4th straight year for a particular variety of seed potatoes: I guess in a nano-scale way I have become a seed house, LOL!

I love it all: it feels pretty good to have these little connections to others that I can share a little something with. Nearly every letter contains a note, and I often return one with the order.

I know there are some who depend on SSE to earn a few dollars, and even know of one who did fairly well at one time. I don't take it as seriously. In fact, I have made a conscious decision to only maintain a limited number of varieties, choosing only those that I find very well suited to my local conditions, and are difficult or impossible to find elsewhere. Early Alberta tomato stays, for example, while Deer Tongue lettuce will not. Others can pick up the slack; I'm just a hobbyist.
Old March 28, 2009   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn:

I am in Nebraska, NE FI P, and I did not specify price other than that suggested by the SSE Yearbook. This year my listing is for 15 tomatoes, which while not very many compared to the real listers, is quite a jump in number of listings for me which explains the increase in requests. My favorite request this year was made by Darrell Kellogg for KBX seeds. That is sort of like you making a request for seeds of one of the many you have introduced. It was an honor to fill the order.
Old March 28, 2009   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite request this year was made by Darrell Kellogg for KBX seeds. That is sort of like you making a request for seeds of one of the many you have introduced. It was an honor to fill the order.

That's great and I wish I'd remembered to ask Gardenmama, in whose garden KBX appeared, to send some seeds to Darrell. I grew KBX from Martha quite a few years ago when we were both posting only in the AOL Tomato Forum but I never saved seeds at that time.

Big listers, Ja, quite a few with over 500 tomato listings alone. Gone are the days when I listed hundreds and would camp out on my couch with my boxes that hold 100 vials each spread around in a semi-circle in front of me and try to keep up with the requests while working full time and trying to meet my aged mother's needs at the same time.

And I will say that back then almost everyone sent a SASE even though they didn't have to, or stamps to help out, and even this year I got a few SASE's and some stamps.

I have to confess that most of the time when I want to look up something I reach for my 1994 and 1996 SSE Yearbooks.
Old March 28, 2009   #7
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I am not seeing an increase in orders from last year....and my tomato numbers went up too...

I am definately not in it for the $, and I am leaning toward Eyolf's philosophy...I am trying to concentrate on little known/offered varieties that are dependable in my area and other less than perfect growing areas...I don't think the yearbook will notice if I never add Cherokee Purple or Mortgage Lifter to my offerings...
I am also going to make a competent(hopefully) effort to offer a couple pepper seeds, eggplant and winter squash....Again choosing lesser known , hardy varieties...
I would like to offer a container assortment too...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've got many 3USD checks in 2007 as well, but failed to cash them all. So I sent out all the requested seeds to listed and non-listed SSE members without asking for cash that year. Then some of them sent me cash afterwords... That was my first year as a listed member of SSE.

Last year was quite a minor for seed requests. I've got twice less requests than in 2007, but I expected something like that, because I became not so exotic for SSE folks and some members already listed many my varieties there.

This year I've got much more requests than in 2008 so I'm gonna invest these money in a new cold frame and build another one from wood (6 x 3 x 2 m each).

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, that "datschnaja" really looks good! And the size is just what I would need for my garden...
clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote