Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2009   #1
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Default How to cut stem for 2 leaders to form?

Something that I should know by now, but am having a senior moment.

How far down on the plant can I cut the stem & expect to get at least one new leader? I want to cut off at the red line or lower and still have a plant that put forth a new leader & fruit.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

You'll get new growth at each leaf axil even if you don't do any cutting. I'm not sure why you want a new leader?

Are you trying to grow the plant as a bush rather than an indeterminate vine? Cutting the tip out of the main stem will delay flowering and fruiting, is that what you are trying to do?

The main stem will have flowers and fruit before any new growth that you get from the leaf axils will. In fact, some folks call the growth from the leaf axils "suckers" and cut those out, although I personally don't bother because they too will have flowers and fruit.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

bcday,

Thanks so much!

I'm intending to use main leader in a grafting experiment and do not have a whole lot of plants to waste. If I interpret what you said correctly, then I can cut at the 3 areas marked and have enough for 3 productive grafts and the main plant will still produce eventually.

Perfect!

I had planned to succession start Sungold anyways due to severe fusarium race 3 problem and now have a whole new & hopefully better plan.

jt
Old March 25, 2009   #4
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I think you really need to discuss this plan with someone who is experienced at grafting, because I'm not at all sure that what you have in mind will work. For starters, I'm pretty sure that the tip of the plant, were you to cut it at the highest red line, at its present size is too small to be grafted.

I'm wondering if maybe I should change the title of this thread to include the word "grafting" to get the attention of someone who can help you with this.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #5
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

bcday,

Thanks again for a reply!

I don't think that there are that many people here interested in grafting, but do think it deserves a separate thread if someone is. I've always been reasonably successful at grafting in the past even using unconventional methods. Plants want to live!!

Wish me luck!

jt

natter, natter, natter... I can hear it now.
Old March 29, 2009   #6
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

I did a search for "grafting" here and was pleasantly surprised at how much info there was.

Did some googling from what was gleaned and ended up spending hours in search of an answer never could figure out. Lysenko vs. Mendelian genetics is above an idiot troll's pay grade.

Anyways, that selected cut of the main leader is not too small and I think there are enough people here interested in grafting to start a new thread one day.

So far this year have done only one tomato/tomato graft (successful) and one repair job on a cuke that the stem was snapped by strong winds. General Discussion forum so guess can post the cuke pic here.

The cukes were identical until I trimmed off enough leaves that the repair could support.

I have used the fancy Japanese grafting clips in the past with great success, but prefer other methods such as 3-M Micropore tape or silicone tubing. The tubing is the easiest and best in my opinion.

jt