Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2009   #16
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm planting 1 red this year out of 13 varieties. I have to have at least 1 red, sort of like an unwritten rule. This year it's Box Car Willie.
I prefer the pinks and blacks. I like to grow a variety of colors. Nothing like having a table full of ripe maters and getting to decide which flavor and color I'm in the mood for.
Old April 5, 2009   #17
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

My fiance really likes Sweet 100 cherry. He doesnt like the yellow pear, wasnt wild about matts wild, Black Cherry didnt do too well for us, didnt like Isis Candy enough to grow it again, so for prolific cherries, he gets a red.

I tend to like pinks and blacks for flavor myself, tried one green. were growing Marmande and Ernesto for red regular tomatoes this year.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #18
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

My favorite reds are Opalka and Tommy Toe, but I grow mostly other colors. I love the black, pink, orange, yellow, and green varieties I've grown. I squeeze lots of different colors into my garden space because I really enjoy having all the colors.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #19
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I took a quick look at my growout list and it looks like 4 of 17 varieties are true reds. There are several pinks (as per usual). Of course one way to look at it is that a pink is a red tomato with a different colored (clear) skin. But, the bottom line is that I like a lot of different colors. So, there are yellow, black, orange, and bi-color varieties too. There are no green when ripe varieties this year. Oh well.

But, that's not the point of the post. I have a story regarding this. For several years I've brought in tomatoes for tasting at work. These are experienced tasters and they'll be the first to tell you they've seen everything and nothing phases them. I'm getting to the point I'm just giving some background information. Last year a friend of mine gave me several varieties of tomatoes for the taste testers to try. One of the varieties was Aunt Ruby's German Green which turned out to be the clear winner in a runaway. When I told her (my friend) the results she was very surprised that a green tomato had been so well received. I had to remind her that these were experienced tasters and who have had green when ripe tomatoes before.

We do get rookies and it's fun to watch the old timers get on them about their reactions to blacks, greens, or even catfaced tomatoes. I guess it's one of those things you have to be there. Probably their favorite of all time is Paw Paw Yellow which is a bi-color. Although last year Tappy's Finest (a pink) beat Paw Paw Yellow, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, and Cosner (the usual top rated tomatoes). Everyone was shocked. Paw Paw had won like two or three years in a row.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote