Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 29, 2007   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Nitrogen when setting fruit?

I've read that it is a good idea to give the plants a little extra Nitrogen when they begin to set fruit. I do this for my plants that are in the ground. Should I do the same thing for my earthbox tomato plants? If so, what should I use and how much of it? Thanks in advance.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tvator, If your earth box is a closed sytem and you are watering thru the fill tube I would fertilize via a foliar spray. What to use? If your into organics check out this site for some available products.
http://www.biconet.com/soil.html
Or if you can get ahold of some 'Calcium Nitrate' dissolve 1-2 tbls in a gallon of water and use as a drench or for foliar application. You will get calcium as well which will help in the prevention of BER. AG centers or hydroponic suppliers handle calcium nitrate. Ami