Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 30, 2013   #16
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics of my current squashes for 2013.

Here are some pics of my squashes for 2013.

IMG_0432.jpg Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash growing next to Rosita Eggplants, Orange and Red Habanero plants, Zinnia, Borage and Sunflowers. Wildflower garden area in the back against the wall.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg NutterButter Winter Squash flowering.

IMG_0523.jpg NutterButter Winter Squash flowering.

IMG_0544.jpg

~Alfredo

Last edited by Alfredo; July 30, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Oh Alfredo, I have been a terrible gardener this year, too busy with work. But, this morning i saw ONE flower on the Violina Rugosa, lol. finally. I'll fertilize this weekend. I keep looking for females on the other squash, but nothing so far. guess all I'm getting is squash blossoms, although, I am getting tons. I did fry some last week lol. Guess I'll have to buy the Violina Rugosa at the Ramsey Farmer's Market this year, as I know Guy does sell them. That was how I tasted one the first time lol.

The darn groundhog is beginning to now eat all my cucumber leaves since he has already destroyed my bean plants. not a good garden year really, I lost so much.
Old August 6, 2013   #18
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Oh Alfredo, I have been a terrible gardener this year, too busy with work. But, this morning i saw ONE flower on the Violina Rugosa, lol. finally. I'll fertilize this weekend. I keep looking for females on the other squash, but nothing so far. guess all I'm getting is squash blossoms, although, I am getting tons. I did fry some last week lol. Guess I'll have to buy the Violina Rugosa at the Ramsey Farmer's Market this year, as I know Guy does sell them. That was how I tasted one the first time lol.

The darn groundhog is beginning to now eat all my cucumber leaves since he has already destroyed my bean plants. not a good garden year really, I lost so much.
Hey Antoniette,

How were the fried blossoms? You have a recipe for that? I've never tried that. At least you're getting something out of the plant in the meantime until some squash start forming.

Groundhog?! Oh no...Sorry to hear that. I know those animals can do some serious damage, I know a couple gardeners who deal with groundhogs in their gardens almost yearly. Not easy to get rid of. I know its helped them when they caught them with a large cage. Then they bring them to a far away location (good option if you don't want to use poison).

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote