Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 25, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Still Interested

This is my 10,000th post. I am still just as interested in gardening and growing tomatoes as I was before I joined here. As many of you know, the past couple years have been challenging trying to grow tomatoes in Root Knot Nematode (RKN) and Fusarium Wilt race 3 infested soil. I learned about and dealt with bugs I had no idea existed like Harlequin bugs and Leaffooted bugs. I made threads about all the above. The RKN and Fusarium Wilt took a lot of wind from my sails at times, but you just have to fight it and don't give up.

I have enjoyed my time here at Tomatoville, and will continue to post things about our gardens. I like the constant learning part of both gardening and Tomatoville. I also like reading about what it is like for you gardening in your neck of the woods. It doesn't even have to be about gardening - just learning how other people do things is interesting.

This thread is about my appreciation for all of you and this site. I just waited to make this thread as my #10,000.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

You are such a special person, in the best sense of the word.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Happy 10,000th!

Let's plan to celebrate your next 10,000. I'll read them all.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Robert! You beat me to it....but then many of mine are gone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #5
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Hug to you Robert!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #6
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have enjoyed every one, Robert! Thank you for sharing so much with us!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you

I have been thinking about the gardens a lot lately. A few days ago, I removed the Fall tomato plants in our raised beds. Those beds have a lot of RKN in them. The tomato plants root systems didn't grow very much and were heavily infected with RKN galls. My wife and I talked about growing flowers in those beds next year. Marigolds, Purslane, and Morning Glories grew very well in those raised beds this year and look nice growing together.

Our main garden is 45'x45' and gets plenty of sun. There's a nice looking fence around it that I just didn't want to take down. Doing that would be giving up, and I just can't do that. That's one thing that I learned fighting the nerve diseases - you just can't give up.

For the main garden, we have some FFF,N varieties of tomato seeds to give a try. This past Spring, OP tomato plants were growing and producing until an absolute invasion of leaffooted bugs ruined the tomatoes. Leaffooted bugs are cousins of stink bugs and do every bit as much damage to the fruit. We bought some Garden Safe poison for them.

We also want to grow a few cherry tomato plants in large containers. One of our grandchildren would rather eat cherry tomatoes than junk food. There is a place where we removed a tree earlier this month that might get enough sun to try growing some extra tomato plants. That area is around 200' from the main garden. It'll be worth giving it a try.
Old November 26, 2017   #8
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Always enjoy reading your post Salt.
Old November 26, 2017   #9
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I also enjoy reading your post! I like to see what you're doing in your garden as well.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #10
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I also thoroughly enjoy your posts, always so thoughtful and well worded. Keep them coming sir!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on the 10K many more to come we all hope.
I enjoyed them all.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you all again. I'm at a loss for words.

This thread was made to say that I'm not giving up on gardening. The last three years had 2015 being the wettest year on record here with 73+ inches of rain. How the tomato plants made it through over 5 weeks of rain every day - I don't know?

2016 featured me learning about the RKN in the garden. It seems that wet and warm conditions makes RKN breed like rabbits. One plant would die and yet the plant 3' away was healthy and producing. It was hit and miss throughout the garden. I learned a lot about RKN in 2016. The RKN had been in the garden all along - I just thought tomato plants that had galls on their roots was normal.

2017, I learned about Fusarium Wilt and leaffooted bugs. Fusarium is actually worse than RKN, because a healthy looking tomato plant can suddenly wilt overnight and basically die. The garden was still producing tomatoes though. The leaffooted bugs did ruin the tomatoes. It was disheartening to say the least.

It would be easy to give up after all of that. But I'm 'Still Interested' in gardening. I have to adjust and learn how to grow in the conditions - without it costing a lot of money.
Old November 27, 2017   #13
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations. Not sure I will make it to that number but I am glad for you that you have retained your zest and zeal for gardening. rock on!
Old November 28, 2017   #14
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations, Happy 10,000th!I enjoy all your posts, keep it up

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2017   #15
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Oh how did I miss this? Congrats on your 10,000-plus posts and here's to many more Salt!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote