Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 8, 2017   #196
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Traded one of the rolling pins for two Crushgrind mechanisms to my boss.
Went across the highway to get them.
They didn't have any but two six inch ones.
The 10 inch ones were out but cost 17 dollars not 13.
The guy at the store said they didn't carry them.
I showed him the two they had.
He looked on line and it showed they did have them.
What the other guy did was go look at some other off brand and told me they did have them.
That is why he told me they came with different length rods it was another brand.
Well hoot.
But we ordered them from amazon for a better price, 13 dollars each.
Will be at my house on Tuesday.

I cant count how many times I have called someone in Austin to see if they had something and am told they do only to get there and find out it isn't what I asked for nor want.
Or the price is way higher than told on the phone or both.
Glad I didn't drive 74 miles round trip out of my way just to find this out this time.
If I am going to justify the cost of something I make I want the product to be the very best available.
In other words you cant get this at the ChinaMart store.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2017   #197
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I have the awful customer service here too. Sounds like a great trade.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017   #198
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I have the awful customer service here too. Sounds like a great trade.
It is like they cant speak and understand English or something.

They came in yesterday and they work great but there is one thing that has me flabbergasted.
The rods are a pentagon shape (5 sides).
I looked out of curiosity on line for 5 sided steel rods and cant find anything anywhere.
No idea what these people were thinking designing something with pentagon shaped drive rods.
Everyone else has square rods.
The other thing is they come with no instructions what so ever.
If you look on line people have different bit sizes to drill the holes.
One craft store sells the instructions separately for the mechanism for $7.99.
Other places you can download them for free.
I dont need the instructions nor the drill sizes to use I have my calipers to tell me that and know what to do.

Worth
Old December 15, 2017   #199
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I bought a rather nice little pack of seed starting trays in October, and ended up using a couple to start a 2nd batch of 'fall back' seedlings. They actually are quite nice, especially for the price. I had very good results. Thought I'd share.

Amazon - Set of 10 seed starting trays with lids and inserts - $13.99
Old December 15, 2017   #200
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I really dig these solar powered led lights that you stick on the ground. Maybe if I get a whole bunch the stray cats won't poop in my backyard anymore.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017   #201
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I like these concrete mixing tub, now I can water my seedlings by wicking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20171217 (2).JPG (386.2 KB, 179 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017   #202
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I really dig these solar powered led lights that you stick on the ground. Maybe if I get a whole bunch the stray cats won't poop in my backyard anymore.
there is a barrier powder/granular for keeping animals out of the yard. check a garden center for a can specific to your needs. rabbit, dog, cat, snake....probably sulfur for the snakes and black and hot pepper for the others.
Old December 18, 2017   #203
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I like these concrete mixing tub, now I can water my seedlings by wicking.
Great idea, I do the same with plastic boxes/flat totes, but they break up after a while from the sun's UV. I have a couple of tubs (medium and large) from an old project, been sitting around unused. They sure will be used next spring.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017   #204
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Boss highly recommends these for work shoes when you arent going to be on a construction site.
Worth

Old December 24, 2017   #205
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

For cooking eggs meat pancakes, etc. with a non stick surface, I love
this:
T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan.

Just went to order another and I see the different sizes are slowly being phased out on Amazon , Bah humbug. Get em (only 8 inch left) while you can!

Any non stick frying pans that you love?

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; December 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Never mind me, the 12 inch version is still available under a different listing. It is Amazon's Choice.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017   #206
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Worth, Crocs is the brand that I wear exclusively. The fuzzy clogs are my favorite. I think the brand was made famous by chef Mario B. in an orange clog style.

There are special tougher closed clog styles for a work environment and that is what I wear up and down halls in the senior residences and I can also go in the kitchen with them and get refreshments.

The normal clogs are great for a muddy garden because they are easy to hose down, but I read they should be wom with socks or you can get a nail fungus. They and other man-made shoes don't breathe.

Like your boss I highly recommend them for a shoe that is comfortable even when worn all day.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; December 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #207
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
For cooking eggs meat pancakes, etc. with a non stick surface, I love
this:
T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan.

Just went to order another and I see the different sizes are slowly being phased out on Amazon , Bah humbug. Get em (only 8 inch left) while you can!

Any non stick frying pans that you love?
You could try Wallyworld!

After getting annoyed about not even being able to buy non-stick pans individually in Canada (only in sets), we went to WM in the US and they had TONS of them We bought a T-fal saucepan with a glass lid, and a T-fal frying pan

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #208
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just went through a whole second round of scare about non stick cookware. Here I am about to do my baking when I read that there are still loads of PFOA's on fast food wrappers especially baked goods, suddenly suspicious of that old stack of muffin cups. And they're saying that the new substitutes for teflon are dubious if unknown. I ran out of parchment paper (of course) and ended up doing a tin foil panic just to get the christmas necessaries done. Every piece of bakeware in the cupboard has some kind of coating on it.
Yes the people who got cancer etc obviously from that cause were breathing and drinking the PFOA's every day. But I just have a principle that I will avoid toxic crap if I can and I sure don't want to be putting it into or on my baked goods! Imagine you use papers to keep it clean, and they put the same crap on your papers.
Sorry this is not a product I am happy with!!!!

Last edited by bower; December 25, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #209
bower
Tomatovillian™

In the shoe department for you Canadians (I guess?) I am pretty wowed about shoes and boots I got at Mark's Work Wearhouse with the 'Tarantula' non slip soles. Incredibly comfortable footwear, and I did wear em over ice pellet/freezing rain coating on deck and driveway this evening, they were not bad at all for the conditions (I usually wear cleats if there's even a bit of ice).
Ice or not I am totally blown away by how comfortable these footwear are. I have flat feet and can't wear anything with arches built in, so I had to try on a lot of shoes before I found a couple without the arch thing - they are simply amazing. My feet are in heaven.
https://www.marks.com/en/innovations...anti-slip.html
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #210
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I just went through a whole second round of scare about non stick cookware. Here I am about to do my baking when I read that there are still loads of PFOA's on fast food wrappers especially baked goods, suddenly suspicious of that old stack of muffin cups. And they're saying that the new substitutes for teflon are dubious if unknown. I ran out of parchment paper (of course) and ended up doing a tin foil panic just to get the christmas necessaries done. Every piece of bakeware in the cupboard has some kind of coating on it.
Yes the people who got cancer etc obviously from that cause were breathing and drinking the PFOA's every day. But I just have a principle that I will avoid toxic crap if I can and I sure don't want to be putting it into or on my baked goods! Imagine you use papers to keep it clean, and they put the same crap on your papers.
Sorry this is not a product I am happy with!!!!
I dont have anything good to say about non stick teflon.
Waiting for the day they make an electric cast iron skillet.