Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 27, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Wasp - What Kind?

We found this wasps nest near our front door. My wife is extremely allergic to these. We have Epi-pens just in case one of these wasps ever stings her again.

The wasps are smaller than paper, red, black wasps. They will attack in groups when provoked.

Hopefully the pictures are resized right - 907 x 680
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01067.JPG (273.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01068.jpg (450.7 KB, 121 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This looks to me like a hornet, but could also be a yellow jacket. Hornets build paper nests in the air like your photo shows while yellowjackets usually have underground nests or nests in crevices of walls or stone fences. I say hornet, and they are very aggressive and swarm to protect their nest.
Old July 27, 2017   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

they are paper wasps. if they aren't bothering you let them alone they are great spider control. they are pretty cool to watch trapping a spider in its own web. they hover over the web vibrating it to get the spider out of their hidey hole and they then sting it to paralyze the spider carry it back to the nest and pack the spider into the chamber (filling the chamber with spiders) for the larvae to consume as its it growing. if it is a nuisance or a danger then get rid of it.
Old July 27, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The size of wasps/? is what is throwing me off. Our open faced barn is home for many paper wasps and has been for years. They are near the same size as red wasps. Both the paper wasps and red wasps are not aggressive when you walk near them. I have never been stung by either.

However, the ones in the pictures are half that size at most. They are aggressive and don't want you near them. The nest was in a tree that our grandchildren play under - also beside the front steps to the deck that leads to our front door. If they had been out away from that area, I would have left them alone.
Old July 27, 2017   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

What you have there is a European paper wasp. They are both smaller and more aggressive than native paper wasps.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I agree. As with all wasps, they are good for your plants. Just avoid disturbing the nest. The Europeans especially will defend it.

Definitely not a yellow jacket - they nest in the ground if at all possible.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Scott and DM, I think you are both pretty much on target. They do have the bright orange antennae and are around three quarters to one inch long. Yellow is more predominate than the darker color. It's actually closer to yellow stripes with brown stripes.

I have taken a lot of pictures of bumblebees, honey bees, red wasps, and paper wasps where the camera was inches away from them. I've never been stung by any of them. We used my wife's new camera to zoom in while keeping our distance for pictures of these.

I found a site online about them, but as of 2011, there were no reports of European Paper Wasps in Texas. That was six years ago, and most sites are as believable as mythical unicorns being the next major meat food source.
Old July 27, 2017   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Scott and DM, I think you are both pretty much on target. They do have the bright orange antennae and are around three quarters to one inch long. Yellow is more predominate than the darker color. It's actually closer to yellow stripes with brown stripes.

I have taken a lot of pictures of bumblebees, honey bees, red wasps, and paper wasps where the camera was inches away from them. I've never been stung by any of them. We used my wife's new camera to zoom in while keeping our distance for pictures of these.

I found a site online about them, but as of 2011, there were no reports of European Paper Wasps in Texas. That was six years ago, and most sites are as believable as mythical unicorns being the next major meat food source.
I have seen armadillos in Oklahoma when books said they weren't there.
Several other critters around places they shouldn't be.
One time I saw a sidewinder cross the road in the western part of Oklahoma.

Just like a tornado if a trained qualified person doesn't see it then it was a possible tornado.
Really.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #9
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I have seen several armadillos sleeping smack dab in the middle of the road here in southern Missouri.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #10
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Eradicate with a can of carb cleaner with the red spray stick. The ether will kill them in mid air. Your wife or the bees? Its the bees. Unkess you have a big life insurance policy out on the Mrs... *LOL*
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our 5 year old grandson found the nest. He wanted to throw a rock at it. I carefully explained to him why that was the wrong thing to do.

The many uses for carburetor cleaner. I took the pictures while everyone was inside and then hit the nest and surrounding area with Hot Shot Wasp and Hornet killer.
Old July 30, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Collect the nest on a late fall cold morning put it in an old suitcase and set it on the side of the road.
Old July 30, 2017   #13
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

You are a bad bad man.

<snicker>

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Collect the nest on a late fall cold morning put it in an old suitcase and set it on the side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
You are a bad bad man.

<snicker>
Old July 31, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Many many years ago my dad would do it in a brown paper sack and set it on the sidewalk like something was in it.
Then park his car down the street and wait.
This would usually take place on the ((other)) side of town.
Potato in the teachers exhaust pipe.
Itching powder in the widow of the class room.
One of my favorites is Prussian blue layout dye on the handle of the truck or door knob.
Snake in the shoe box.
One place I worked the office lady was petrified to open anything.
I remember the time I put a giant stick bug behind her computer.
Worth