Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 3, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
At long last I managed to get Versailles chief gardener's personal mail address, I wrote your request and 10 minutes later I had the answer : Orange queen, origin USA !
I explored a few US sellers and Tatiana but could find none keeping that variety. If you are no more lucky than me I'll send you some seeds from France, don't hesitate to ask !
There are many places in the US and elsewhere who sell seeds for Orange Queen via a Google search.

I didn't read all the links to confirm it was from the US, perhaps even a French original source I think I read in one of the links.

I guess anyone interested would have to read all the lnks,ah,yes, one was Reimer's Seeds but I don't always trust them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oran...&bih=815&dpr=1

Hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old November 3, 2017   #17
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Is the origin of Queen Orange French, American ? The following French sites think it’s American. I must say I don’t care at all.

http://www.tomatofifou.fr/index.php/...een-890-detail
http://kokopelli-semences.fr/boutiqu...0%9D&type_id=3
http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom.../tomates_o.htm

French sites don’t seem to think Orange Queen is outstanding, in contrast to Spanish sellers who have a high opinion of that variety. Just google : Batlle AND tomate AND "orange queen" to make your own judgment.

Last edited by loulac; November 4, 2017 at 03:57 AM.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is the origin of Queen Orange French, American ? The following French sites think it’s American. I must say I don’t care at all.

http://www.tomatofifou.fr/index.php/...een-890-detail
http://kokopelli-semences.fr/boutiqu...0%9D&type_id=3
http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom.../tomates_o.htm

French sites don’t seem to think Orange Queen is outstanding, in contrast to Spanish sellers who have a high opinion of that variety. Just google : Batlle AND tomate AND "orange queen" to make your own judgment.
It's the old story of a variety grown in different places in different years with different variables as to how grown, etc., and have different tastes as well.

And yes,in my post above I did say that some thought the origin was France.

Loulac,do you ever hear or read anything about Norbert P,who was the person from France who contacted 4 of us about a trade in the early 90's? He shocked me when he appeared here several years ago but his english was not good and while several here translated, he got frustrated and left.

We got together and decided who would get this one or that one so we didn't duplicate any and that way we brought many varieties from France to the US and many are still favorites with many folks.

I just answered my own question about him. He has moved to Affleville,Lorraine, France, and visited here on April 2, 2017 but didn't post apparently. His last post was on Jan 8, 2014 in a Happy Birthday thread. It was probably me who posted that Happy Birthday thread.

Carolyn
Old November 4, 2017   #19
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Loulac,do you ever hear or read anything about Norbert P.
Norbert stopped being active on Tomodori, a French little brother of Tomatoville, in 2013 and there is no more a link on his name. He can't be found on the phone directory at the address you gave. I'm afraid this is a bad sign.
He worked closely with Ambiorix, still active on Tomodori and a member of Tomatoville who may have more information. He specialized in complex research, far above my abilities. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Old November 4, 2017   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Norbert stopped being active on Tomodori, a French little brother of Tomatoville, in 2013 and there is no more a link on his name. He can't be found on the phone directory at the address you gave. I'm afraid this is a bad sign.
He worked closely with Ambiorix, still active on Tomodori and a member of Tomatoville who may have more information. He specialized in complex research, far above my abilities. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Every time I went to Tomodori for information I was sent to Ventmarin and Christian.Wasn't Ambiorix the person who was doing crosses to see how antho was transmitted,or something like that. Yes,that was over my head as well as to the genetics involved.

I never knew why he was doing it to tell the truth, just my opinion.

Right now I don't know if I'll contact Ambiorix about Norbert, or not.

Carolyn
Old November 4, 2017   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just found the link to Ambiorix and yes he was trying to track antho,he called them blue genes.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43216

I didn't read the whole thread yet, to see if Norbert showed up.

Carolyn
Old November 8, 2017   #22
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

For the most part of the French tomatologues, Savéol got back the genes of many tomatoes to create them of the copies: Tiverta for Green Zebra, Cacao for the black of Crimea and many others but them have no good taste. There is even false one heart of beef which has a ribbed shape often with a lot of space.
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #23
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiorix View Post
For the most part of the French tomatologues, Savéol got back the genes of many tomatoes to create them of the copies
Fortunately reliable French seed producers dealing with professionals (i.e. Vilmorin, Kokopelli etc.) can be found.

I didn’t make any comment on Saveol Seeds Productions seeds as I know nothing about them. If I can’t object to creating new varieties starting from old ones Saveol certainly crossed the red line when they called Oxheart / Coeur de boeuf the ribbed tomato that invaded European markets 3 or 4 years ago. More than once I showed sellers the picture of a real oxheart on a packet of seeds and told them that their labeling was wrong. Now that plague seems to have stopped, due to the poor quality of the product.

Throwing a stone at growers isn’t that simple. One day I was arguing with one of them on a market place and complaining about the constant fall of quality. His reaction : “ I see that you know what you are talking about, can you tell me the weight of tomatoes produced on a square metre / yard in your garden ?” I suggested maybe about 15 kg / 33 lbs. He answered “ If I want to earn a living I must produce 50kg /110lbs".

I hope Ambiorix won’t get cross if I suggest he might ask a school pupil older than 15 to translate his French into English or contact a teacher of English in the nearest secondary school to give him a hand. It would require less effort from him and allow him to come more often on Tomatoville !
Old November 9, 2017   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(Throwing a stone at growers isn’t that simple. One day I was arguing with one of them)

You arguing with some one? Now there's a surprise and you know exactly what I'm referring to.

Carolyn
Old November 9, 2017   #25
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Of course I do ! The exchange of thoughts was private of course, If I remember well I ended it with a quotation of "Some like it" : nobody's perfect, and I added "let's agree to disagree !"

all the best

Last edited by loulac; November 9, 2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 9, 2017   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Of course I do ! The exchange of thoughts was private of course, If I remember well I ended it with a quotation of "Some like it" : nobody's perfect, and I added "let's agree to disagree !"

all the best
Almost correct but allow me to add this b/c I want to and only you and I know the significance of it. So it's our secret.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Huevos_De_Toro

But ending on a positive note

https://www.folger.edu/alls-well-that-ends-well

So let's leave it there.

Amazing how so many can remember events of the past, but as for me, I can forget to turn the computer off at night before I try to go to sleep. Wake up,look over and see it's still on, make a few choice comments to myself, viz EGUTYE&* which means I have to get up and turn the darn thing off.

Thankfully that doesn't happen very often.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #27
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Amazing how so many can remember events of the past
If my memory was working properly I would have written "Some like it HOT". My old brain may show islands of memories next to abysses of emptiness. Your quoting of Shakespeare was a brilliant idea and an elegant way of putting me back on the right tracks.