Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 22, 2022   #31
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Reading this for the 1st time. Been growing Cowlicks for 15 yrs, my favorite tomato. Grew suddeth's years ago and dont remember it tasting that good, but in those early days I may have not had the real seed for suddeths. ( I didnt know who the reputable seed vendors were back then). I thought brandyboy was a hybrid, there is a hybrid out there named that. But I just searched at tomato base and find there is an heirloom too??? Gotta get it.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2022   #32
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time.

I've grown Cowlick's (seed source Camo) and Sudduth (seeds source Carolyn) several times in the same year. Currently, there is no way that I believe that they are the same variety.

Cowlick's usually has excellent tasting tomatoes about 4 out of 5 years. Sudduth usually has superb tasting tomatoes 1 out of 5 years, and mediocre tomatoes 3 out of 5 years. They both generally have fairly lousy tasting fruit about once every 5 years, due to the weather. So, in 3 of 5 years Cowlick's is much better tasting than Sudduth. But, in the one in 5 years, when the weather is perfect, Brandywine Sudduth blows away every other variety that I've ever trialed. The flavor is so intense, that I can only eat about one tomato every other day. I can't say that for any other variety.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote