Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 28, 2015   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default ASIAN KILLER HORNETS in U.S?

I spent a while researching the truth about the Asian "Killer" Hornet this morning. In Asia and Europe they seem to be a deadly problem that is spreading, but am not yet receiving a clear and documented picture of their presence here other than that they are a real concern for the U.S.D.A. and beekeepers. Anyone here aware of any documented cases of sightings or contacts with them? Heavens forbid that any gardeners have such an encounter.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I dunno but we had three sets of hornet nests in the front of our property last year. One was in a tree close to the garage, another swarm was nesting in our soffits over the front door and there was yet another nest in a tree further from the house. I bought one of those imitation hornet nests and hung it in the tree closest to the house in the hopes that they might stay further away.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015   #3
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Animal Planet has a documentary called "Killer Hornets from Hell". Titled for shock value, but not far from the truth. Those things are freaking terrifying. Supposedly they had some in Arlington Heights, Illinois, which isn't as far from me as I would like in this case.

Edit: I looked at some stories about that incident in Illinois and it actually sounded more anecdotal than the documentary made it sound. I didn't see any mention of entomologists confirming anything. Thank God. But I have to admit that it makes me uneasy. We import so many things from Asia and the nests are underground and hard to find. Ugh!

Last edited by Bipetual; May 28, 2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: dial down my hysteria
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I surely hope not. This National Geographic 3 minute video is awful and somewhat terrifying! These things are amazingly proficient killers of honey bees!

http://natgeotv.com/uk/nature-uncut/...-giant-hornets
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote