Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2014   #1
Gussie
Tomatovillian™

Default If you only had one more spot for a GWR...

which one would you pick from the list below and why?

Humph
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Green Giant

All thoughts welcome. Oh the pain of narrowing down which plants to keep and which to re-home.

Thanks!

G
Gussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Although I've grown all of them, I only grew Humph, MS and GG only one year; but ARGG is my favorite of those because the plants did the best here, the fruit were the largest and I loved the taste.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #3
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

It seems as though in my garden that Argg is the earliest of my tomatoes setting earlier and growing faster than the others, followed by non greens plum bush and schimmeig stoo hollow
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #4
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown Malakhitovaya Shkatulka here, but it's one of my favorites. It's early (for me), and very prolific. I just love the sweet and spicy taste, and I also like it because it's easy to tell when they're ripe as the skin turns amber.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka is the best GWR for me.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for ARGG. I grew it this season, and I was crazy about it. It tastes sooo good!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #7
tedln

GWR varieties are totally new to me. I've never grown or eaten one. This year, I am growing Malachite Box (Malakhitovaya Shkatulka) Cherokee Green, and Lime Green Salad. Humph was a highly suggested variety when I was searching for varieties with good reputations for production and taste, but I ran out of room. If I like GWR varieties, Humph and Aunt Ruby's German Green will be grown next year.

I have been amazed at the aggressive growth habits of the three varieties planted this year. Lime Green Salad is a very vigorous and stout dwarf determinate. It is totally covered with blooms and small tomatoes. I understood that only a few of the blooms would actually produce tomatoes but I have been shaking the plants vigorously to aid pollination and it seems to have worked. I am getting a high percentage of fruit set. Since they are relatively small plants, I germinated six plants and planted four almost as garden decorations in various spots in my garden. I potted two plants with lettuce, onions, and radishes and gave them away. All six plants are doing well.

Malachite Box and Cherokee Green are growing side by side. I can truthfully say they are the tallest plants in my garden approaching five feet tall early in the spring. They also have a multitude of large blossoms which seem to be setting fruit well.

If some major gardening disaster doesn't occur pretty soon, I should get an abundant tasting opportunity of GWR tomatoes this year.

Ted
Old May 13, 2014   #8
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Out of those that you list, the only one I have grown is ARGG. Every once in awhile I will leave it out of my garden and plant another GWR in its place; then I live to regret it. ARGG is a very good tasting tomato to me and every one of the the plants have been large, extremely healthy and quite productive.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Lime Green Salad is a very vigorous and stout dwarf determinate. It is totally covered with blooms and small tomatoes. I understood that only a few of the blooms would actually produce tomatoes but I have been shaking the plants vigorously to aid pollination and it seems to have worked. I am getting a high percentage of fruit set.
Ted
Agreed on LGS. I counted 60 tomatoes on one bush last year, and I had four bushes, so had many many of these yellowish green delicacies. It is almost a determinate, in that it has a very powerful blush of fruit at some point, and then slacks off, but continues to produce well through the end of the season. This stalwart dwarf is a staple in my garden.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #10
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Agreed on LGS. I counted 60 tomatoes on one bush last year, and I had four bushes, so had many many of these yellowish green delicacies. It is almost a determinate, in that it has a very powerful blush of fruit at some point, and then slacks off, but continues to produce well through the end of the season. This stalwart dwarf is a staple in my garden.
Scott,

I think "bush" is accurately descriptive of the LGS plant. Unlike most of my tomato "vines", LGS is a bush. While it seems to have very little tendency to grow up, it wants to spread like a bush making it difficult to contain in a tomato cage. It's branches and trusses are so strong and stiff a cage is probably unnecessary to support it. I am impatient for a few tomatoes to ripen in order to taste them.

Ted
Old May 14, 2014   #11
Gussie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I did LGS last year, and I loved it. I only have room for 13 plants so I try some new ones each year.

I am heavy on the blacks and cherries this year, and it's looking more and more like I will end up with a few pinks, one KBX, a Druzba, and -- one that I love but have left out in the last couple years -- Green Zebra. I feel like maybe I need another GWR to try for the first time so it's great to hear all your thoughts. Feel free to keep em coming.

I will plant this weekend after babying a couple seedlings and ordering the rest from Darrell. Needless to say, it's anyone's guess what I will actually plant until these guys are in the Earthboxes (and one smart pot). And, of course, I will keep a few plants on standby just in case. Uh...that may be how I ended up with so many Earthboxes in my tiny back yard, but this year I shall stand firm.

Maybe?

Gussie
Gussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #12
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I have to say Humph is my favorite for flavor and production.
Malachite Box is sweeter so not my favorite for flavor as I like them, but the production is phenomenal.
AARG was the first one I ever grew and it will always hold a special place for me. It tastes great. Production has always been just ok.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gwr