Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2013   #31
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Is there other genetics that causes "true bicolor" tomatoes as opposed to not-so-true bicolors?
I've spoken with people who have a pretty good handle on tomato genetics. I'm not going to mention names, but you'd recognize them if I did. Anyhow, here is basically what I got from those conversations. It is assumed that there are 2 or 3 genes involved with bi-color and black tomatoes. Additionally, with stripes/streaks there are 3 patterns controlled by at least 2 genes.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
So then, are "true bicolors" defined not by genetics, rather by arbitrary declaration and according to how much red streaking is visible to the person who makes the arbitrary declaration?

Is the decision whether a variety is a "true bicolor" arbitrary to the extent even that a variety may be declared a bicolor when grown in one region, climate, or time of year to achieve the arbitrary benchmark coloration, but not when the same variety is grown in another region, climate or time of year that inhibits the same inherent expression?
We've talked around these issues in previous posts but I will get back to you on what I think, but not now since I want to think about it a bit more, and to be honest I'm going a bit crazy right now trying to sort the new seeds for 2013 and get them to the right persons who do seed production for me, and I'mlate doing that b'c I'd hoped that seeds being sent tome from across thepond would be here and they aren't, but are on my list, and then last night it occurred to me that I never contacted the owners of several seed sites where for years I've sent varieties for trial,e -mailed them late last night and already have two back.

And I haven't even gotten my tax stuff together to have someone take it to the man who does the forms for me and submits them electronically, looks like an extension for this year.

And since this thread is about manipulating tomato flavor I'm not so sure how we got off on this tangent, but I do think it's an interesting one to pursue.

Later, don't know when.

Carolyn, who MUST spend even more time on the computer for even more reasons and has to b'c the Sony tennis Open in Miami starts getting good on Friday and the young man I'm mentoring re tomatoes comes today with my Chinese food and Diet Pepsi and we'll talk even more tomatoes since I packed up all of his seeds I'm giving him, he picked them up on Monday before the latest snow storm, OK, excuses to maybe you, but real time problems for me, especially since I was up very late again last night, just had to finish a great book on the World History of Oysters.
Old March 21, 2013   #33
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Genetics Governing Bicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
I've spoken with people who have a pretty good handle on tomato genetics. I'm not going to mention names, but you'd recognize them if I did. Anyhow, here is basically what I got from those conversations. It is assumed that there are 2 or 3 genes involved with bi-color and black tomatoes. Additionally, with stripes/streaks there are 3 patterns controlled by at least 2 genes.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

Randy
Yes, Randy, that is helpful to a point. I have sufficient info on genetics controlling green flesh, green stripes, and flesh stripes. So, that eliminates from conversation most of the genetics you mention. But I am only aware of one allele associated with bicolor streaks, whether deep in the flesh or visible at the surface, and I already mentioned that.

I don't really need the names of the fellows to whom you cryptically refer in order to validate the information pertinent to our discussion. I only need a link or reference to the genetics involved with bicolor streaks, whether it be lycopene staining deep in yellow flesh, or visible at the surface as a sunburst pattern from the blossom end, etc.

And I agree with Carolyn, if the same genetics does not pertain to increased flavor in tomatoes, then it would be better to discuss it in another thread. However, if you can pry the info on the bicolor, lycopene streaking of otherwise yellow fleshed tomatoes out of your covert sources, and forward it to me via PM or email, I'd certainly appreciate and enjoy it.

Bill
travis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , tomato