Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2020   #1
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

Default Have some extra multifort seeds for grafting

Hi Friends,

I have been grafting tomatoes for a few years now and this year am trying Multifort rootstock for the first time, which I got from Paramount Seeds for about 25 cents a seed. But the smallest quantity you can get is 100, which is way too many for me to grow out all of them in the next few years.

So if anyone's interested, I'll sell off 50 seeds for 10 bucks - if you're in Boulder area in Colorado we can do the exchange physically, if not I can mail them out. Send me a private message if interested.

Thanks,
John
johnkaplantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had pretty good luck with that root stock for a couple of seasons. It is a bit vegetative and can produce some huge plants and also some larger fruit.

If you don't have fusarium or RKN why are you grafting?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020   #3
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bill
We do have fusarium and nematodes out here in front range Colorado, so fragile heirlooms die all over the place.
Also, similar to your experience the grafts make more and bigger tomatoes, compared to healthy non-grafted plants.
I've been using Maxifort for larger tomatoes and Matt's Wild Cherry for cherry tomatoes. A few of the Maxifort still succumb to fusarium in my experience, so I wanted to try the Multifort which is supposed to be more immune. It doesn't seem as easy to get hold of Multifort seeds, but at least I found the Paramount seed supplier.

John
Old February 24, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkaplantech View Post
Hi Bill
We do have fusarium and nematodes out here in front range Colorado, so fragile heirlooms die all over the place.
Also, similar to your experience the grafts make more and bigger tomatoes, compared to healthy non-grafted plants.
I've been using Maxifort for larger tomatoes and Matt's Wild Cherry for cherry tomatoes. A few of the Maxifort still succumb to fusarium in my experience, so I wanted to try the Multifort which is supposed to be more immune. It doesn't seem as easy to get hold of Multifort seeds, but at least I found the Paramount seed supplier.

John
Paramount also has a seed called Estamino that is an excellent root stock for fusarium and NPK without being quite as vegetative. I now almost exclusively use RST-04-106-T from NE seeds because along with great fusarium and nematode tolerance it is the only root stock that I know of that helps with Bacterial Wilt which is a major concern down south. It also seems to work better with more different varieties for me than the Multifort or Estamino. It seemed to me that every root stock variety I have tried there are a few scion varieties that just don't thrive on that particular root stock and that is true of the RST root stock also. If you find a variety of scion that isn't doing well after the graft either in its production or plant growth try grafting it onto a couple of other root stocks and see how it does.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #5
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill - that's good info. I may experiment with different rootstocks next year, depending on how things go with Multifort.

I still haven't gotten a taker for my extra Multifort seeds.
Old February 29, 2020   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It is against this sites rules to exchange seeds or plants for $. Any partakers run the risk of being banned so that explains why you have no customers.

Tags
grafting , multifort , seeds