Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 1, 2016   #1
RealmanPwns
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato problem

Anyone know what this is? I can't seem to get any late tomatoes before this sets in.

Photo
http://prntscr.com/ccy8qz

RealmanPwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Buckeye rot
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #3
RealmanPwns
Tomatovillian™

Don't think it was that. this tomato was near the top of a 6 foot plant. not near soil. don't even have soil.
Using potting mix in self watering containers.
RealmanPwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If the plant is healthy and just the fruit are affected my guess is that it is BER to begin with or insect damage and then mold as a secondary infection. If the plants are also affected then grey mold or late blight. regardless it is definitely fungal

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Buckeye rot
I saw this for the first time ever only this morning! Looks like the same thing?

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160901_124829.jpg (121.6 KB, 75 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #6
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmanPwns View Post
Don't think it was that. this tomato was near the top of a 6 foot plant. not near soil. don't even have soil.
Using potting mix in self watering containers.
If I remember correctly, buckeye rot also looks blossom end rot, and anthracnose rot, and late blight. The last being different because there's foliar damage, where there is none with the other three. It can't be anthracnose, cause that's only with ripe fruit, and yours are about unripe fruit getting hit.

I'm only guessing its buckeye rot cause the picture doesn't look as dark as blossom end rot is usually stated to be. Buckeye rot is usually about fruit sitting on the ground, but it can happen even when using a trellis. The spores spread pretty easily by rain. Blossom end rot I believe is the one that's specific about irregular watering, calcium uptake, etc...

If it's not buckeye rot, that only leaves blossom end rot as a possibility. It's hard to tell from the picture if the rot is blossom end though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I saw this for the first time ever only this morning! Looks like the same thing?

kath
Half the time it's hard to identify because by the time you get to the fruit, the rotting area is already molded over and you can't tell if it was dark, light, or has concentric rings.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
If I remember correctly, buckeye rot also looks blossom end rot, and anthracnose rot, and late blight. The last being different because there's foliar damage, where there is none with the other three. It can't be anthracnose, cause that's only with ripe fruit, and yours are about unripe fruit getting hit.

I'm only guessing its buckeye rot cause the picture doesn't look as dark as blossom end rot is usually stated to be. Buckeye rot is usually about fruit sitting on the ground, but it can happen even when using a trellis. The spores spread pretty easily by rain. Blossom end rot I believe is the one that's specific about irregular watering, calcium uptake, etc...

If it's not buckeye rot, that only leaves blossom end rot as a possibility. It's hard to tell from the picture if the rot is blossom end though.

Half the time it's hard to identify because by the time you get to the fruit, the rotting area is already molded over and you can't tell if it was dark, light, or has concentric rings.
I've seen quite a bit of LB, anthracnose and LOTS of BER in various stages and this looks quite different. So much so that I intended to look it up when I had the time, but then I found this thread!

Btw, the fruit was well up in the cage off the ground, so tomorrow I'll try to check for more affected fruits since it's so contagious. The plants that are still in the garden have grown way taller than the cages and the vines have fallen back down all around and are pretty green and dense on top so it's getting difficult even to spot ripening fruits inside of some of them. Not a bad problem to have in Sept. considering the possible alternatives but I do want to get rid of any other bad ones.

Last edited by kath; September 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It is oddly on the side, and not the end, like BER.

It could have been something as simple as a bird peck that broke the skin. Once the skin is broken, it's open to any mold spores that happen to be around.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Kinda looks like buckeye rot to me too. A bad case.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...t/Buck_Tom.htm
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tomato , virus