Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 24, 2015   #16
Asimov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I am not familiar with your planter but given that you did not add any ferts at planting time, and there does not seem to be any cover to keep it a "closed system" as so many self irrigation planters are, I agee that you may as well top water it and add ferts.

I have about a dozen Earthboxes. You will be very happy with them. they do come with VERY SPECIFIC directions so be sure and follow carefully. If you have questions, post here under an Earthbox headline. There are quite a few EB users on this forum.
This is what it looks like, for the record.

Asimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #17
Asimov
Tomatovillian™

Just an update, my tomato seems to be doing well and I have dozens of little guys on the way. Im not sure how fast is normal to be growing, but it is growing steadily, even if slowly and I am happy that it seems to be doing well. Will update with pictures later.
Old June 13, 2015   #18
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Great! Thanks for updating us, it's always so much more satisfying to know how things turned out for someone. I take it you are top-watering and giving some 1/2 strength fertilizer every so often. Definitely post a picture so we can see your progress.

Next year, if you decide to grow more, you might try an Earthbox brand container. - they are the gold standard of self-watering pots. And you can get cages that attach for support like your current container. As Linda said, they have very good instructions to help you get the best results.

Or, if you are they handy/DIY type, you could build an Earthtainer (instructions on this site).

Jenn
Old July 6, 2015   #19
Asimov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormgirl View Post
Great! Thanks for updating us, it's always so much more satisfying to know how things turned out for someone. I take it you are top-watering and giving some 1/2 strength fertilizer every so often. Definitely post a picture so we can see your progress.

Next year, if you decide to grow more, you might try an Earthbox brand container. - they are the gold standard of self-watering pots. And you can get cages that attach for support like your current container. As Linda said, they have very good instructions to help you get the best results.

Or, if you are they handy/DIY type, you could build an Earthtainer (instructions on this site).

Jenn
Its not the prettiest plant, but wow looking from my first picture in the post, it sure has come a long way!

Tags
earthbox , rapunzel , tomato