Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 24, 2010   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

Making crosses trumps making fruit as far as I'm concerned. So I never give it a second thought whether I'm harvesting pollen by tapping blossoms and leaving them intact or taking the entire blossom off the cluster and using the blossom itself as an applicator. I've never plucked anther cones or blooms, dried them and harvested the pollen from the dried anther cones.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2010   #17
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I have used several methods, this season gone I tried a new method (for me) first I emasculated the female, then I removed the entire anther cone, in one piece, from the male and slotted it over the exposed style on the emasulated flower, effectively transplanting the anther cone entirely, I then just left the flower to get on with it in its own time. This way there was no need to dry the anther.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #18
OkieJason
Tomatovillian™

Frog,

What was percentage of success using the "anther cone transplant method" ?
I'm having trouble getting enough pollen and its always windy here. This technic might work better for me as long you don't damage the style during the transplant.
OkieJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2010   #19
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I'm on travis' program. I find that when the anther cone is making contact with the glass, or in my case teaspoon, the pollen comes out in a more concentrated pile or line. I've been using my electric tooth brush but will try the tapping.....the key is anther contact with surface for me.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2010   #20
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

to add one more thing- I was removing donor anthers and drying them at first. To me, it is a complete waste of time. With an electric toobrush and anther contact with the surface of your choosing, it takes literally 3 seconds to get enough pollen to impregnate about 10 recipient flowers.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote