Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 22, 2011   #1
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Default Marko + Slonovo uvo/Palanacko cudo

Marko, Peppers are getting big but no sign of turning red. Did you pick and use them in the green stage? Do you have any information on them? I did pick two today because they are so big and were touching the ground and earwigs did get another that was next to these two. Felt it was best to take them to give plant a break as it is heavy with these huge peppers. I thought I would see if one would turn red in the house and taste one that is it in green stage. Picture. Again, thanks for the seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0722112125-01.jpg (113.7 KB, 89 views)
husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #2
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Husker nana, I'm glad your peppers are doing fine.
I also pick first fruits in green stage because the plants are so loaded. Overall yield is also improved with regularly picking. But I would recommend that you wait for most of them to turn red on the plant because these peppers are the best when fully ripe.
It usually takes two weeks from ripe green stage to red. They will turn red in the house if they are ripe enough, but I would rather use them green. Mine started to turn red about a week ago.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #3
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Marko this is update on your peppers. I made a couple of pans of stuffed peppers and my husband suggested that we also stuff some out of your peppers. They were very good and he requested that the next batch I make that I include your peppers because he liked them better. Notice the weight of just one.. In the picture with a mix of peppers, yours are next to the bells. It took awhile for them to turn red but now have a study supply of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0811111247-00.jpg (75.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 0808111413-01.jpg (136.7 KB, 94 views)
Old August 14, 2011   #4
Marko
Tomatovillian™

I cant see the weight of your pepper but I assume it' heavy. My heaviest was 0.3kg/10.5oz. They are very productive, last week I picked 12kg/26lb red peppers from 18 plants. I roasted and freezed half and made ajvar from other half.
Old August 14, 2011   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Marko my 3 plants are growing great after 2 times with huge rain, 2-3 inch's the grew up to over 24inh high now, I have one red fruit ti eat today beauty one, Can i save some seeds from them for next year . this one is 96 grams

Last edited by FILMNET; August 14, 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: photos
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #6
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
I cant see the weight of your pepper but I assume it' heavy. My heaviest was 0.3kg/10.5oz. They are very productive, last week I picked 12kg/26lb red peppers from 18 plants. I roasted and freezed half and made ajvar from other half.
My one pepper was a full pound. Thanks for the site on the recipe for the Ajvar. We checked out a few other Ajvar recipes and descriptions like, " A little slice of Heaven" and Vegetarian Caviar made us jump right in and make it already today.
Results: We really liked it alot and plan to at least triple the recipe. Have you ever froze this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0814111643-01.jpg (180.1 KB, 64 views)
Old August 15, 2011   #7
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet, you can save seeds from red peppers if there were no other peppers growing nearby. They like to cross.
Husker nana, we never freeze ajvar. We sterilise it in jars.
Old August 15, 2011   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marko i hope you can remember which 2 pepper plants you sent me 6 months ago as you see i grew Slonovo Uvo Which is wonderful pepper plants, But the other pepper seeds you included i started inside. They grew so small, tiny plants, after 60 days in ground they took off nice,the pepper are growing up green. Do you now the name ol them , I do look at the website of http://www.superior-seeds.co.rs/seedseng/katalog.html
I think the name had a L in the name?
Marko i just found your bags it is Palancko Cudo i am looking for a picture of them now
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #9
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet, I sent you Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Cudo peppers. It's hard to tell them apart, Palanacko Cudo is a bit larger, but taste is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PalanackoCudo.jpg (121.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg SlonovoUvo.jpg (118.1 KB, 75 views)