Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2018   #2311
imp
Tomatovillian™

No rain up her and he sky is clear; under a 100 today, but the humidity jumped to almost 50%, so it feels worse, LOL. But should be a good night to watch the fireworks downtown. I'll park farther away, to be out of the crowd if I go, and enjoy them.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #2312
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It is the coolest July 4th that I remember. It only got up to 95 today, and it didn't feel hot at all.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #2313
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

More flooding, more damage. The new saying here is "It's not a flood until a dumpster floats by." Every bit of rain is deluge.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #2314
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It is the coolest July 4th that I remember. It only got up to 95 today, and it didn't feel hot at all.

Bring on the basting mop today it is horrible outside.
I am trying to make something and I am about to sweat to death.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #2315
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have a portable air conditioner that has a dehumidifier mode.
On days like this I can drain off 2 gallons of fresh water for my garden per day.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #2316
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Wish it would rain here! A storm came thru so fast it didn't even get the ground wet! Been too hot to work here, heat warnings last couple days... been hitting ~93F which is unusual for us. Currently 79F @ 11pm, humidity 76%.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #2317
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Wish it would rain here! A storm came thru so fast it didn't even get the ground wet! Been too hot to work here, heat warnings last couple days... been hitting ~93F which is unusual for us. Currently 79F @ 11pm, humidity 76%.
Korney, that feels like 82 F / 28 C.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml
Old July 6, 2018   #2318
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Korney, that feels like 82 F / 28 C.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml
RH went up to 91%. It's worse INSIDE. 89F, 59% RH, windows & curtains closed. Even hotter in the bedroom. I'm gonna open a window in the room I start my plants at the back of the house, 2nd floor, and the bathroom at front of house, 2nd floor. Last night was so bad I slept on a chair in living room in front of a fan.

Tonight will be the 1st night we get below 70F in a while... My little lean-to open, door-less greenhouse hit 108F in the shade at about 28" high above ground yesterday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180704_151705.jpg (223.1 KB, 58 views)
Old July 6, 2018   #2319
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I understand that all to well.

The tomato seeds I started 11 days ago were not germinating inside. It was too cool - I guess? I put them a room that wasn't being cooled for 3 days and still nothing. So I sat them outside on a table in dapped shade 34" tall - without the dome, and they germinated very quickly...and are now the most leggy seedlings I've ever seen. They are still at the two leaf cotyledons stage and around 3" tall.
Old July 6, 2018   #2320
korney19

My temps here must be normal for Texas! But I'm in Buffalo! They're not normal here!

I'm the opposite here. I was rarely able to start seeds outdoors, even things like lettuce I start indoors on a seedling heat mat---this year I bought a thermostat kit which toggles the heat mat on/off to maintain your desired temperature---when the temp drops 2 degrees it turns back on again. I think it was around $35 for the digital thermostat and a 20" x 20" seedling heat mat & free S/H.

I now swear by this method; I was able to germinate tomato seeds from 2002...
Old July 6, 2018   #2321
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have been noticing Texas-like temperatures in northern places where they do not belong. I've been noticing that for three years now. As I am writing this - it started to rain for the first time since May . It barely sprinkled once in-between, and this rain won't last long according to the radar.

I opened the door and went outside and it smells more like a wet dog than anything else. It woke my wife up and she is smiling. It's raining again. Real rain without thunder and lightening. I feels good to have rain running down my back.
Old July 6, 2018   #2322
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was so soaked in sweat yesterday I couldn't get my socks off.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #2323
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

This is ideal weather to take tomato cuttings to clone plants.
The garden looks like a jungle but has to be watered every day.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #2324
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I had 2.5" on the rain gauge for the 24 hours before 9am. First it rained some yesterday evening, but then there was an awesome 3am storm which lasted for at least 90 minutes. This morning, some of the peppers and eggplants I still had not needed to tie up were laid over. I wouldn't doubt we got more than 3" in that storm alone, since small rain gauges tend to read low on violent rains. After 9am it rained again, nice and warm/steady. I took that time to weave those rows up, then finally had a reasonable, clear, slightly breezy evening to continue on the fence. Supposedly the next week will be clear and avg approx 85/65.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2018   #2325
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Real HOT in So Cal today,118 here in Fontana. Just came in from checking the garden,I had to toss out over 60 tomatoes this morning there were green tonight there were Orange Red and felt like a marshmallow. I sure hope that I don't find more on the morning. Right now at 9 pm Calif time it's 99 degrees. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote