Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 3, 2017   #46
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Father'sDaughter, I'd like to see a pic of the crumb when you cut it, please. Never made corn bread that way. What corn meal did you use, stone or fine ground?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #47
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Rick, thanks for inspiring me to get my starter back out! Sourdough no-knead bread just out of the oven.

Oh my that looks fantastic. Please lead me to the recipe for this and the technique of using the dutch oven too?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #48
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Oh my that looks fantastic. Please lead me to the recipe for this and the technique of using the dutch oven too?

Here's the standard version using yeast -

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...no-knead-bread

It's worth watching the video at the beginning of the page to see the technique.

I can't seem to get to the sourdough version any longer without creating an account, but last night I could view it with no account...

Let me know if you want the sourdough version and I'll see if I can copy and paste it here from my recipe box app.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #49
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Father'sDaughter, I'd like to see a pic of the crumb when you cut it, please. Never made corn bread that way. What corn meal did you use, stone or fine ground?

I'll post one tomorrow when we cut it. For the cornmeal I used Bob's Red Mill stone ground. I prefer some cornmeal texture in my cornbread.
Old July 3, 2017   #50
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Ricman & FD, shame on you for trying to sabotage my diet I must remain strong! Those loaves are really gorgeous.

FD, l love my cornbread too , can't believe I haven't heard of sourdough cornbread but it sounds good to me!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #51
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'll post one tomorrow when we cut it. For the cornmeal I used Bob's Red Mill stone ground. I prefer some cornmeal texture in my cornbread.
Thanks, it wants me to make an account too, lol. I can probably use just about any no knead sourdough recipe. What I am interested in is how you don't put any slices into the top when you put it in the dutch oven?

Dutch oven and lid is also in the oven hot before you add the bread also, right?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 3, 2017   #52
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default fresh baked sourdough bread!!!

Here it is, but in grams. Hopefully you have a scale!

I made 1 1/2 times the recipe, skipped the sesame seeds and baked at 450. I also let the loaf rise in my cloth lined basket. As you can see, you flip it seam side up when you dump it into the hot Dutch oven, which is how I end up with all those interesting crack and ridges. Happy Baking!

NY Times No Knead Sourdough Bread

425 grams bread flour
6 grams kosher salt
180 grams sourdough starter, fed
300 grams luke warm water
9 grams sesame seeds

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together lukewarm tap water with the sourdough starter, then pour the mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a tea towel and leave it to rise overnight, about 10 to 24 hours.

The next day, dust a clean kitchen surface with flour. Scoop out the dough and place it on the surface, then dust with more flour. Gently fold the edges of the dough from the outside in, to form a round loaf. Dust a clean towel with yet more flour and place the dough on it, the seam side down, then cover and allow to double in size, about 2 hours.

Meanwhile, heat oven to between 450 and 550 degrees. Place a covered enamel Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid into the oven and allow it to heat for 30 minutes or so. Remove the pot from the oven, take off its top, and carefully invert the risen dough into it, so that the seam side is now facing up. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then put the top back on the pot and return it to the oven.

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, then take the top off the pot and allow it to continue to cook until it is brown and crusty all over, an additional 20 minutes or so. Put the loaf on a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; July 3, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old July 3, 2017   #53
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thank you FD, I appreciate it. I don't have a scale but I can figure that out.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 4, 2017   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Why no Rye?

Board of Agricultural Statistics, NASS/ USDA:

1997 : " Rye was planted on 1.5 million acres in 1996, the lowest acreage on record since 1866. Acreage, except for peaking during the two World Wars, has gradually declined during the past 100 years. A large portion of the rye acreage is used as a winter cover crop, pastured, and then plowed under as green manure. Only 24% of 1996 plantings were harvested for grain. Rye intended for grain is usually planted in the fall and harvested during the late spring or early summer months. Most rye is produced in the northern Plains and southern Plains. With the exception of Georgia,
only minor acreages of rye are grown in the East and South."

https://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usd...ting/uph97.pdf
I think a lot of it has to do with the so called economic collapse some time ago.
Since then I have seen a ton of stuff leave the shelves to never come back.
Selection has gone way down.
Mostly to make room for high volume prepared junk food.
Yesterday at the store the place looked like they had announced the end of all food to come.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #55
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricman View Post
Well enough bread for now also. I am turning my attention to smoking a brisket, all-night long low and slow for the 4th!!!
Better watch out, Ardmore isn't that far and you have succeeded in making me VERY hungry with all those pictures! Now brisket?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #56
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default fresh baked sourdough bread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yesterday at the store the place looked like they had announced the end of all food to come.

Worth

That's what our grocery stores look like before every major holiday, any predicted snow fall, and every New England Patriots football game.
Old July 4, 2017   #57
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Selection has gone way down.
Mostly to make room for high volume prepared junk food.
It is just about impossible to find any rye bread on regular grocery shelves anymore. If I'm lucky the store bakery section might have their own version of a light rye or Jewish rye occasionally. No luck yesterday. They can't even keep Rubschlager Cocktail Rye Bread squares in stock, they disappear off the shelf fast, the other grained ones just sit there. I like mine rye dark and dense like my folks used to bake.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #58
bower
Tomatovillian™

It seems that rye is or has always been a low value crop compared to winter wheat... And I guess the demand is lower, too, of course. Now as a specialty and/or organic product they can charge more for it... if available at all, which used to be a less expensive alternative.
Friends of mine buy their flours wholesale and I'm pretty sure they still get rye. The sourdough these folks make is off the charts incredible. Also takes days to make iirc. You have to be devoted to your bread to go the extra mile.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #59
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rye is best reserved for whisky.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #60
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've not had trouble getting rye but I suppose it is considered one of the
Alternative grains like teff etc that is a bit more expensive but worth it imho.

I make one I call BarnyardRye...a dark multi grain. Good with smoked salmon
And charcuterie fixin's.
Just a few times a year...holidays and vacations....like now so maybe this
Week!

Our 'go to' bread is the Forkish recipe.
Started within an hour of arrival here in Newfoundland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6321.jpg (456.4 KB, 25 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote