Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2021   #76
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, So sorry that you didn't get Lorelei. I too had a difficult time germinating both Lorelei and Hibor and wondered if they might have been crushed in the mail.

I germinate on damp paper towel in a little plastic bag so it's easy to see if the seeds are sprouting or rotting. I tried two small batches without success, and then used ALL the seeds. I ended up with two or three seedlings of each variety .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2021   #77
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm just glad you got a few plants. Hopefully you find them acceptable flavor-wise. Deep red is the correct color. This tomato has one of the genes that gives higher than normal lycopene though not as much as in a couple of other lines I have.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2021   #78
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I was away on vacation for a few days and given more time to ripen my Lorelei has turned more red, but clearly has quite a long progression from color break to yellow with pink blush, to orange-pink to red-orange and likely to red. I will let more fully ripen. This progression is nearly 2 weeks. The flavor progression is rather dramatic too. I like them best at the orange-pink. They are rich, full flavored, sweet and ample tang. At red they are quite sweet but lose the tang. Darrel is this progression what you see too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A84203E8-529C-49CB-AD87-1D092BC18628.jpg (104.1 KB, 268 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2021   #79
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Which is the true Lorelei?

I had two seedlings and planted the "best" one in the garden, but couldn't find a home for the second one so I planted it in the hedgerow, and haven't checked on it for a while.

Veggie Lorelei became a MONSTER plant and produced a ton of cherry tomatoes in a beautiful glossy bluish red (that were not truly spherical) with a tiny dimple in the bottom. They are a bit crunchy.

Hedgerow Lorelei was already flowering by the time it was planted and only has one stem. The perfectly spherical cherry toms are a yellowish red, with thin skin and no dimple.

Both have good taste for a red cherry, but I think I prefer Hedgerow Lorelei, and will taste them again when they have ripened some more. Although the sepals look dead on the four that I picked, the tomatoes aren't soft when squeezed.

Linda
Old August 5, 2021   #80
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I have one question about Cherokee Jumbo. So far, I have harvested two beautiful tomatoes (both from the first inflorescence), but I have not found any seed inside. Is it a partenocarpic variety or can I look forward to some seeds from fruits from other inflorescences?
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3615Jumbo.jpg (119.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3616Jumbo.jpg (150.1 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3635GoEx.jpg (128.6 KB, 231 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2021   #81
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Hibor is a really sweet tomato. His taste suits me. I enjoy it.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3596.jpg (129.6 KB, 244 views)
Old August 5, 2021   #82
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I would guess that is due to first set of flowers. I have had many tomatoes, all with seeds and I have saved seed as well. It is Delicious tomato!
Old August 6, 2021   #83
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I hope so. I had the second inflorescence in the bagged, so if the seeds are there, then everything will be fine.
Vladimír
Old August 7, 2021   #84
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Mountaineer Pride

Here is a picture of my Mountaineer Pride. It is a beautiful plant with blemish-free tomatoes (so far). I cannot find a single spot of Septoria or anything else. Fruit are medium-size, probably 7-9 oz. Septoria pressure has been light here this year, but this one looks like a winner. Hope they taste as good as they look! This one resides in a 10-gallon grow bag. Drying out has not been an issue, unlike some DETs I've had in these grow bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountaineer Pride.jpg (335.1 KB, 211 views)
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2021   #85
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Mountaineer Pride (OP)

I've now picked a good half-dozen MP fruit. This is a good tomato! Its taste is very good, and it has very little core or the fiberous ring in the upper outside wall. MP and Bodacious are the best-looking plants I grew this year. MP has regular medium green foliage, while Bodacious has beautiful dark green leaves. MP tomatoes are running larger than I originally thought. 8-12 oz. Septoria has been light this year, but most of my plants show some damage -- except MP. It has grown well in a 10 gallon growbag. I will definitely grow this again next year!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2021   #86
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default My Review of Lorelei

Lorelei is a red cherry that I think will be very popular with most people. Taste is sweet and skins are thin.

It is a strong, vigorous grower that just keeps on pumping out its beautiful dark red cherry tomatoes. They hold well on the vine without splitting, and they even keep well for weeks (in my cool basement) without going bad!

I would say that disease resistance is good, as Lorelei was one of the last to be affected by Septoria in my garden. There was some Early Blight in the middle of the plant which was completely my fault because I didn't prune and there was a severe lack of air flow, causing it to become so damp in the middle that the plant put out some aventitious roots. BTW the trunk is now over 3" in diameter!

Lorelei is still producing a lot of fruit and I expect this to continue until frost.

Well done Fusion for creating Lorelei, and thanks for sharing seeds with me .

Linda
Old August 26, 2021   #87
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

It's been my honor that I also got an opportunity to test both Mountaineer Pride and Delight. They are both a success. But I admit that there are some minor problems in the conditions I have grown them in: a south facing slope at 1800 ft a.m.s.l in Zone 5b. First of all I realized they were not completely resistant to sls. Later I learnt there weren't any varieties 100% resistant to sls. I can say they are very highly tolerant of it. Then both of them have suffered from BER. But that's typical of beefsteaks, especially in my garden. They just told me I should add some calcium into my soil as there probably isn't enough for beefsteaks (of other varieties too - Crimson Crush and Mongolian Karlik) there. And they took ages to start ripening as the weather was really cold and rainy (but other varieties also took longer than usual). DTM 76 resp 80 doesn't actually promise much earliness.

On the other hand, they are both excellent in taste. I like Pride slightly better than Delight. On a scale 0 - 10, they are 7 or 8 (best of all beefsteaks). They really have big fruits - the biggest tomato I have ever grown (so far): Mountaineer Delight 447 grams (15.8 ounces). Most importantly of all: they really are resistant to late blight as all my non-lb-resistant varieties "perished" more than 2 weeks ago. My MP and MD still stand proud and defiant of Phythophthora. From my point of view it's what makes them exceptional and desired.

I am absolutely sure I'll grow them next year.

Milan HP

Last edited by Milan HP; August 26, 2021 at 06:23 PM.
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2021   #88
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Linda, Lorelei was selected for moderate Septoria tolerance. It appears to be somewhat tolerant of late blight, but to my knowledge it is not highly tolerant of early blight. Lorelei tends to be very vigorous which can lead to very dense foliage.
Old October 6, 2021   #89
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I would love to hear from anyone else who grew Lorelei. Were they up to snuff?
Old November 20, 2021   #90
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Darrel, is the color progression I had what you also experience? The plant definitely was extremely vigorous and had very dense foliage. If this was a bit different, perhaps I should start more seed next year and see what I get? This year was the least Septoria stressed year I’ve had in any recent memory, but the plant definitely did not exhibit any Septoria until very late in the year and then it was minor. As far as flavor, I found I definitely prefer it prior to fully ripe when it retained some nice balancing tang, left to ripen fully I found it a bit one dimensional.