Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 1, 2015   #1
Stainless
Tomatovillian™

Default Stupid Question; Why do peppers taste good to some and not others

I've been relaxing today and reading and watching lots of gardening ideas and tips. One thing I noticed about almost everyone's garden is that they grow several different kinds of hot peppers. I watched several people eating some of the hottest peppers out there and talking about the good flavor they have. I guess I'm kind of a wimp but I never really taste a good flavor in a pepper. It usually just burns.

Is this something you develop over time or are some people different than others in how these peppers taste? I do grow some Jalapenos but I usually cut the insides out to use them for grilling and such.
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I think people become used to the heat over time and then can better taste the flavor of the pepper. Some peppers have instant heat, some have flavor first and the heat sneaks up on you. I'm pretty much a heat wimp and can only handle those pods with cayenne level heat. I like Jals, but I think they have more flavor when they're ripe than when green, but I use at both stages.
If you want to try flavors, try some of the lowered heat peppers like Aji Dulce 2, Zavory or Trinidad Perfume. They are habanero types bred for less heat. The flavor definitely comes through with these. Lemon Drop is in the cayenne range(for me it seems)and has a definite citrusy flavor. So many types, so little garden space(sigh).
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

What noinwi said.

Plus, I think some of the superhot eaters are exaggerating a bit to make themselves look chile chic.

Most of the time a ripe pepper is going to have better and more complex flavor than an unripe one.* If all you're interested in is heat, don't worry about ripening them, just pick 'em at whatever stage; but if you're curious about the flavor, let 'em get ripe.

* I said _most_, not all, _most_, so calm down! You know who you are.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #4
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
* I said _most_, not all, _most_, so calm down! You know who you are.
Guilty as charged.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There ar people that like hot peppers and even real hot peppres.
I was raised on hot peppers even as a wee child I ate hot peppers.

What I think is goofy is the goof balls that eat whole super hot fro attention.

I even saw a guy eat a whole vile of pure capsaisum or wht ever you call it on youtube.
He was one sick puppy.

I just got through doing my income taxes, I haven't done my own taxes in 33 years.
I would rather eat a super hot pepper.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I just got through doing my income taxes, I haven't done my own taxes in 33 years.
I would rather eat a super hot pepper.

Worth
Ya, if it's a choice between a headache and a sick feeling in your stomach from doing taxes and the burn of capsaicin from a hot pepper, I'll take the hot pepper any day.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote