Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 22, 2009   #46
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I like it how this discussion is still in motion ;-)
I am sure you have better germination with the underheat, you just mimic a heated soil, what most heat loving crops love more than just 15°C ambient room temperature. In the propagator you not only have the underheat but a relatively higher moisture too so all helping the germination. For fresh seeds the difference will probably be not that big, but maybe tricky seeds (older,...) could use that little extra TLC.

About the uneven heating, that's most likely related to the way the coil is guided in the device. I think I have lowered the uneveness by adding about an inch of moist soil in the propagator, levels the bottom, serves as a heat buffer (the propagator is more off than on), and spreads the heat a little bit more than the 'naked' bottom would do. The thing with tools is that you should use the right tool for the right job, heating with lamps is possible but you waste most of the energy for something that some already consider to be a wasteful activity.

My thermo is set to 20°, and maybe a bit higher for the peppers, germination is as little as a few days, usually less than a week.

with the warmth under their feet the seedlings grow very fast so in my setup the ones that are up are removed from the propagator.
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2009   #47
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Huh...I have a seed heating mat I bought years ago that's always worked well, and I started seeds last night...and peeking in, there's steam rising!! We'll see what comes up!

I also am trying Wall O Water for the first time to see if I can start them earlier and beat the heat, which started before I got many toms at all last year.
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2009   #48
Penny
Tomatovillian™

I got one of the heat mats that come in a kit at Walmart, has anyone used one of these ones before??
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #49
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Steam or not, my seedlings are coming up!! Woohoo!!
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #50
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

any one ever use an electric blanket as a heat source (with nonleaky trays of course)?
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009   #51
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Yes, but I got yelled at for talking about it on another gardening forum. I have two friends that use them every year. They put the electric blanket over a table & then they cover the whole thing with plastic and of course, check their trays to make sure none are leaking. They both say that had to fiddle a bit with the dial to get the right temp. So...that said, I AM NOT advocating either for or against doing this.
Old January 28, 2009   #52
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Oh brokenbar - bilateral coffee nasal irrigation successful after reading your post! Thank goodness TVillians are oriented to education & not edict tossing!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2009   #53
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Bumping this to remind folks that they can buy Christmas lights dirt cheap right after the holidays are over. Thanks to Jim for suggesting this!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009   #54
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default Stanfield Pig Heating Matts

If you have a bunch of money or come across any of these used, they work perfectly. They are adjustable, waterproof, durable and easy to clean. I don't know how many pig farmers are out there (you can home raise all the stuff on your BLT's) but I bought one of these big 36"x24" matts for my large turtles to use on colder days and the matt has held up great. My 54# sulcata turtle poked a hole in a metal bathtub and does try to dig around on this heating pad and hasn't hurt it yet.

You can google Stanfield pig heating matt,
Makes a great gift for the person who has everything

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009   #55
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/184-5523079-3001163?ASIN=B001AS5204&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001AS520 4|HoMedics_Body_Revitalizer_5Motor_Massage_Mat_wit h_Heat&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001AS5204&cpng=plus box&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #56
tedln

I built a light table from two old 48", two bulb, fluorescent fixtures this year. They are old enough to use the old, heavy magnetic ballast instead of the modern electronic ballast. The old ballast's produce considerable heat which normally would vent into an attic. I put some 1/4" thick, cement & fiber; building siding over the fixtures. I set them about 1/4" above the fixtures. The siding material absorbs and distributes the ballast heat perfectly maintaining a surface temp of 80 degrees F. I am going to try germinating pepper seedlings next spring on that surface.

Ted
Old December 27, 2011   #57
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I've really enjoyed reading this whole thread. I have a question for those who have tried something like this, if there are any.
If I can get my 4'x6' unheated greenhouse put together in time for seed starting, I plan on using rope lights under my trays, which will be held above the lights by cookie sheets sitting on top of 1"x2" strips of wood. I have a probe instant read thermometer to check on the soil temp.
My question is: Do you think that I can combine heat under the seeds and very cool temps (30-50*F) with no additional lighting (here in the PNW at the 48th parallel) and get sturdy seedlings? How have yours turned out?
All opinions are welcome. Thanks.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2011   #58
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

janezee...sounds like you have what is call a "hoophouse"...a greenhouse that is unheated. It gets its name from the stucture that it is usually built out of...hoops, but not always.
So the growing temps will be 30-50*F...you will not grow any tomatoes successfully
I'm afraid.
LuvsToPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2011   #59
dice
Tomatovillian™

Ideal temperatures: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=154107

Below that but above freezing, they just sit there, turning purple from
the cold interfering with phosphorous uptake.
Old December 31, 2011   #60
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

The link you provided dice...
has some good info...
as well as your advice in the above post.

I am a commercial grower and we use that method...
LuvsToPlant is offline   Reply With Quote