Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2018   #31
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanus View Post
I needed this last year I was getting ready to save seeds went to my tomato markers and there was nothing left. I will try the super heavy duty permanent markers. I do not remember having this issue before so I think the ink has been changed.
As a backup, make a map of your garden and stick it on the fridge. That way if there is a huge storm, flood, evil child or adult who moves tags you will still know which plant is what.
Old May 22, 2018   #32
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

On fading Sharpies marker, it is not the water, it is not the temperature BUT direct sun. Some of my tags from last season, buried in the ground , are still readable.[/QUOTE]

That is why my tags always face north. I use grease pen and they are always readable at season’s end. Only works if you are gardening in the Northern Hemisphere, though.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #33
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

You can use a lumber crayon on most surfaces and they come in a range of colors. Not sure how well they would work on glossy smooth plastic but they are cheap at the hardware store. I have wooden stakes so im just writing directly on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote