Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2018   #76
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

F3 grow out of the popular hybrid tumbler cherry Terenzo.
Original Seed saved by my mother who loves to grow one prolific basket on her patio every year and gets a kick out of counting how many tomatoes she gets, generally six or seven hundred from one large 3 plant basket on a stand.
The F2 last year had a fair bit of subtle variation in shape size and flavour, I selected what I thought was the tastiest reddest and most uniform size. Here is the start of a tumbler pot on a stand. This pot is large, 8 gallons, planted 4 F3 plants in it and I anticipate this single pot to morph into a huge display of cherries. Should be fairly early, mildly multiflora it Is beginning to bloom.
Goal is a tasty stable open pollinated large tumbler cherry eventually.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B56757AD-163B-4EB4-AB2F-BD6AF512401F.jpg (690.2 KB, 233 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #77
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

That future cherry will be a gem, no doubt.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #78
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
That future cherry will be a gem, no doubt.
Yes for sure, a lush little jungle in a pot.

Karen, is that a type of palm tree/plant in the back, and does it grow outside in the winter? (trying to get a feel for your climate). Thanks.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #79
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Coming along well despite it being Cold at night still about 8c. Daytime about 18 we are working on improving this bare concrete retaining wall and added the lattice and some climbing roses. We call it The I beg your pardon garden
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C72E1AD-A70F-4EF5-8AAB-D336F88948AD.jpg (741.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by KarenO; June 2, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old June 2, 2018   #80
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Roses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B94F93D0-94E9-4C8F-B226-AA118B484787.jpg (707.7 KB, 180 views)
Old June 2, 2018   #81
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That is beautiful work, and will be really stunning when the roses get going! Are they climbers?

Duh! You said they were. Ha, ha, just my excitement forgetting.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #82
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden! Great place for a few glasses of Cabernet or Malbec!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #83
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Wow!

This is my first year growing tomatoes in along time. Just starting out. Trying to find what grows and tastes best in western oregon. Are all your tomatoes keepers? Are there tomato fairs where you can taste and discuss a variety of different types? Is there a discussion thread on how you can cross breed?

I had no idea there can be so much to growing great tomatoes. I am really excited.
Oregonfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #84
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonfarmer View Post
Wow!

This is my first year growing tomatoes in along time. Just starting out. Trying to find what grows and tastes best in western oregon. Are all your tomatoes keepers? Are there tomato fairs where you can taste and discuss a variety of different types? Is there a discussion thread on how you can cross breed?

I had no idea there can be so much to growing great tomatoes. I am really excited.
There is definately a lot of information here on tomatoville if you can sift through a whole lot of unrelated bizniz...
Look at the index and you will find a section here called crosstalk which tends to stay on topic quite well and you will find a lot of information there on breeding. There are a number of facebook groups about heirloom tomatoes but you do need to be a tad selective because there are some crazies here and there as well as some dishonest seed sellers.
My personal page, not a group, and no sales is
https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
I post all of my stuff there as well as some of it here. I am on Vancouver Island so the climate is not terribly different than yours most likely, you are welcome to check it out.
as far as tastings, every area might have something, I know there is a huge heirloom expo every year in the US if you can get to that it might be quite fantastic.
welcome to the tomato addiction rabbit hole.
Watch for a participate in my dear friend Marsha (ginger)`s seed offer as well as Tormato`s MMMM swap and the nifty fifty. That is where a lot of my seed collection has come from along with personal trades with folks from all over met here and also through facebook groups.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; June 3, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old June 3, 2018   #85
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Karen
Oregonfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #86
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Oregonfarmer! You're in for a treat!

There are regional tomato taste testings. NORCATT is your local group. I don't know if they're active, or maybe there's another event in your area. People do have regional tastings, though. Someone in your area ought to chime in with current information.

This is NORCATT's forum:
http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Here's the forum for all things cross pollination:
http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
Others may be able to provide links to "how to" threads.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #87
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonfarmer View Post
Wow!

Here is an additional suggestion.

There is an excellent place in Oregon to buy seeds for not just tomato seeds but all kinds of seeds,it's called The Victory Garden,I'll link to it below and it's owned by Mike Dunton.

There are several of us who send him seeds for varieties he hasn't listed, so he personally grows them out and yes has help from his son as well, and if they like them,then they add them to their list of available varieties.

So you might want to take a look at his website.Whoops, where I am right now I can't pull it up or I'll lose this post but if you go to the Seed and Plants Forum here at Tville, you'll find a thread devoted to Victory Seeds.

I don't know of any fairs or tasting events in that area,but I sure know where to send you as to how to breed your own tomatoes, but I would also think that you might want to consider growing a few hundred varieties or so, before you think about breeding your own tomatoes and of course, just my own opinion.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old June 3, 2018   #88
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

And now back to our regular scheduled programming after that commercial for
Victory Seeds
Here’s the link, if you want it:
https://www.victoryseeds.com/mobile/catalog.html
Always a good idea to support local business in your state to be sure.
KarenO
Old June 3, 2018   #89
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I think I see a piece of soil on the deck below your highest planter box. Please try to be less sloppy in the future.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #90
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
And now back to our regular scheduled programming after that commercial for
Victory Seeds
Here’s the link, if you want it:
https://www.victoryseeds.com/mobile/catalog.html
Always a good idea to support local business in your state to be sure.
KarenO
Karen, the problem with your link to Mike's site is that it's for a catalog that doesn't exist or does so rarely, as Mike explains at his site.

Oregon,here is a direct link to Mike's 2008 website.

https://www.victoryseeds.com/

Karen,it was NOT a commercial at all. Haven't you ever directed someone to a seed site where you knew they sold seeds for certain varieties that someone wanted that you didn't have? I know I have and still do so. Or you as a new SSE member requested seeds from the listings of other listed SSE members?

My choice but two years ago I think it was I asked to have ALL of my Annual Yearbook listings deleted, and I still get all of the SSE Annuals but have had no time to read the sections I would normally read since I've been a Lifetime member since about 1989.

But I have lots of SSE friends who keep me updated on new members how many of this and that and several of those persons are also part of the seed producer group for new varieties and someone else is doing the coordination of the seed producer group as well,with my help this year but I'm pretty darn sure that he will take over completely for next year.

And then I'll have more time to color in my coloring books read all the many hundreds of books I haven't yet read,yes, I am a true bookaholic
and a severe one at that, read all the magazines I sub to, watch the does in May when they come down to the back yard to show off their new fawns and they continue to do so almost all year round., try to ID all the birds as they fly in to get the suet cakes out there as well as the black oil seed.

Yes, a time to do what I want to do,not what I should be doing..

Carolyn