Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old August 29, 2013   #46
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

That tomato support construction looks seriously well built MrBig46, very nice.

Your garden looks great, a nice assortment of tomatoes you have growing there.

I enjoyed seeing your collection of cacti .

Last edited by Alfredo; August 29, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2013   #47
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
That tomato support construction looks seriously well built MrBig46, very nice.

Your garden looks great, a nice assortment of tomatoes you have growing there.

I enjoyed seeing your collection of cacti .
Alfredo,

Alfredo, I unfortunately have not a nice garden .
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03092013467.jpg (542.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 03092013469.jpg (370.6 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 03092013471.jpg (411.1 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; September 6, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2013   #48
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46

What an incredible set up you have for tomatoes.... if I was able to grow that many, I would for sure become a veggie person, forget the meat as you have such incredible tomatoes I would never miss meat. LOL Really tomatoes, greenbeans with new potatoes and fresh fried corn... I could live on that combo.
Thanks for sharing the progress and success you have achieve.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #49
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Japonskij trjufel krasnyj, Slivovyj polosatyj, Novinka pridnestrovja Brandywine Red (PL) and Black trufle.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06092013483.jpg (417.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 06092013484.jpg (422.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 06092013485.jpg (467.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 06092013486.jpg (493.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 06092013487.jpg (386.1 KB, 153 views)
Old September 12, 2013   #50
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Great setup and those tomatoes look delicious, especially the Brandywine.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #51
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The rain was two weeks (every day), temps in the day 50-60 °F in the night 40-48 °F. This is to see on my tomatoes. But the prediction of the weather is optimistic. The whole October will be the temperatures over 68 °F.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22092013528.jpg (675.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 23092013538.jpg (587.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 23092013540.jpg (380.0 KB, 167 views)
Old October 1, 2013   #52
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes season ended in 30. September. In Czech republic the temperatures were 21-32 °F in the night. Overmuch early.
Vladimír
Old October 3, 2013   #53
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry your garden season is over too soon. It's een a rough year in many places.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #54
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, That is a bummer.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2013   #55
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir I have enjoyed this thread very much. You have a great set up! It is always so sad when the cold takes away our gardens...sigh. But it does allow us to begin to plan for the nest season.

You did a wonderful job this year. What tomato was you favorite? Also, what do you plan to grow nest year?

Patti
Old October 6, 2013   #56
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

That is not the bummer. I love this time after tomato season. I plan next season and I fantasize about that, what beautifull and flavourfull tomatoes I shall grow in the next year.
I attempt to strike a balance of my season 2013.
I growed these varieties of beefsteak? tomatoes (according to my flavour): Beefmaster VFN F1, Ananas, Cuor di Bue, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine Black, Black Trufle, Kosmonaut Volkov, Beefsteak, Orange Strawberry. Brandywine Red-RL (I had the problems with TSWV) and Delicious (wrong seeds-tomatoes only about 100 g). The other problems: Beefmaster VFN, Ananas and Cherokee Purple-catface; Brandywine Black (cracking during of all season- but it was only defect of design);Kosmonaut Volkov (cracking- after the rain I had to banish 80% these tomatoes);Orange Strawberry beautiful tomato the heart form (about 400-500 g)-I have this ones else now.
Pasta Tomatoes: Best Costoluto Genovese, Costoluto Fiorentino absolutely warped by catface???.All indeterminante tomatoes type San Marzano (SM3, SM Gigante, Scatolone) disillusion- a little harvest, lateness. From determinante best Napoli. The use of tomato pasta is not usual in traditional czech cuisine (only two foods). I have sauce on two years in the cave- I shal grow only Costoluto Genovese and Napoli next year.
Cherry tomatoes: Tomato cherries have themselves charm for me only when I am eating them only in the garden. I had ten varieties. All varieties was favour for me, but I shall cut down number of plants next season.
Season 2013- abnormal weather in Czech republic- first the spate than two month dry and record temperatures 42 °C and again rain. All czech varieties (which I planted) cracked on the end of season. Start F1, Stupické polní rané, Stupické skleníkové, Pollicino F1.
A discontent with determinant tomatoes Marmande, RAF, Pavlína- acidic flavour
A complacence with Principe Borghese and Ramallet.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; October 6, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old October 8, 2013   #57
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My project number 01/2014- the cultivation of large tomatoes
The cultivation large tomatoes is not usually in Czech republic. Why? Catfacing of large tomatoes daunt each interested person about cultivation them. I want attest, how cultivate large tomatoes with minimum catface in czech surroudings. I shall grow about fifty large tomatoes (10-12 new varieties). I don´t know how do it, but I have all winter on the study of theory and what it what equipment to use in my experiments. It will be my promotion large tomatoes in Czech republic. New large tomatoes in 2014 for me: Brandywine Suduth´s, Brandywine cowlik´s, Pruden´s Purple, Middle Tennessee Low, KBX, Anna Russian, Indiana Stripe, Neves Azorean Red, Earl´s Faux and Brandywine Glicks a OTV when I will be efective in the swap.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; October 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old October 12, 2013   #58
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

That's and interesting project. I've never thought about what is considered the "normal" tomato other places.
First question: Why so many Brandywines. My understanding, from reading, is that there isn't that much difference between the various Brandywine strains.

Second: What do you consider a large tomato? Is it a half kg, more, less?

I've had a little catfacing, but only a tomato here and there. My understanding is that it's a pollination problem or other flower problem. If I was trying to get a handle on pollination problems my first approach would be monitoring temperature and maybe humidity around the time that the tomatoes are trying to set fruit. My thought is that there are times when the the temperature or other conditions are right on the edge of being suitable for pollination so some occurs but not enough.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2013   #59
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
That's and interesting project. I've never thought about what is considered the "normal" tomato other places.
First question: Why so many Brandywines. My understanding, from reading, is that there isn't that much difference between the various Brandywine strains.

Second: What do you consider a large tomato? Is it a half kg, more, less?

I've had a little catfacing, but only a tomato here and there. My understanding is that it's a pollination problem or other flower problem. If I was trying to get a handle on pollination problems my first approach would be monitoring temperature and maybe humidity around the time that the tomatoes are trying to set fruit. My thought is that there are times when the the temperature or other conditions are right on the edge of being suitable for pollination so some occurs but not enough.
„Normal“ and „Large“ are the abstract concepts. They always reflect always relativity of anything to anything else. For example the large tomatoes for Julia are tomatoes over 1,5 kg, for me over 250 g. Normal tomatoes for me are Czech tomatoes (40-200 g),
Brandywines: This year I growed Brandywine Red (PL) and Brandywine Black. It is logical for me, that I shall continue with the other Brandywines. If I should be don´t grow them in 2014 y., I should want to grow them sometimes else.
I thought, that catfacing is a pollination problem, too. But the text „ Severity of the tomato blossom-…“ ( http://journal.ashspublications.org/.../1/32.full.pdf ) imply something else. I understand its so, that the count of locules is determined by low temperatures before the florescence of tomato flowers. I think, that not flowering cluster can be defended against low temperatures better than flowering cluster. I have only the translate of this text from Google translator- I had not so far the time to translate it better (I may be then to find, that it is else).
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; October 16, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old November 5, 2013   #60
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I have only a broccoli and a medlar on the garden. The construction is dislocated on the new place, where I digged in green fertilization and it is waiting on the tomatoes 2014.
Vladimír
THE END
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medlar.jpg (765.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 10102013.jpg (667.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Broccoli.jpg (639.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg The move of construction 1.jpg (561.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg The move of construction 2.jpg (458.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg On the new place.jpg (539.8 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; November 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM.