Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 14, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Raybo's (Leak-proof) InnTainers - Doing It In The Bedroom (pics)

I've been thinking about how to adapt the SWC principles of the (outdoor) EarthTainer, to now creating a SWC system for indoor Winter growing that must be leak-proof. No overflow holes or Toggle Bolts where water would leak out on the carpet was a "must".

So, I've selected a pair of 18 gallon Rubbermaid "Roughneck" Totes for the InnTainer system. To support the weight of the Grow Media (1.5 cubic feet), and not crush the fragile Wicking Basket, I've cut off the top 4-1/4 inches off one Tote, and this becomes a pretty strong base on which to have the Aeration Bench sit:

The remaining section is drilled for the aeration holes, filler tuber, and Wicking Basket, then slid down into the outer Tote to rest on the support pieces:

This is what it looks like installed:

Two bolts high up on the sides anchor the inner Aeration Bench to the outer Tote:

The key is a water level indicator which also functions as a convenient drain:

The InnTainer holds 4 gallons of water in the reservoir, so topping off should be relatively infrequent.

Total scrap amounted to a 1 inch band, and the cutouts:

So, the tomatoes are doing their thing in the Bedroom tonight in the South facing window, supplemented by a 400 Watt HPS lighting system that I will run 4 hours per evening.

Three of the InnTainers are operational today, with another three to be planted by this weekend.

Next, getting an oscillating fan set up and figuring out the best way to hand pollinate the tomato blossoms.

I plan to write the full InnTainer Construction Guide over the Christmas vacation and post it about January 10.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2010   #2
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Very impressive Raybo. I can already feel a project for me coming on in mid January. Can hardly wait.
Ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2010   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Very impressive Raybo. I can already feel a project for me coming on in mid January. Can hardly wait.
Ron
Ron,

Building the InnTainer is so simple when contrasted against the EarthTainer. The inner "sleeve" just slips in, and two bolts hold it all in place.

I am going to evaluate if the strength of the Lowes 31 gallon Rugged-Totes will take the weight of supporting the Aeration Bench without caving in, and if so, look for a new EarthTainer Construction Guide come Spring.

Raybo
Old December 15, 2010   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Greatness! I love the simplification that is happening with each new tool. I am assuming that you think that no disease or insects will plague you? Otherwise, spraying doesn't seem like an option in your bedroom. Keep up the progress report please. You may want to see what all can be taken in through the roots too, obviously fertilizers, but what about other enhancers like actinovate, etc?
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #5
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

I.d put up some sticky traps for white flies.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #6
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
So, you have about 7 gallons of growing media per plant, if I did the math right, versus 12 or so gallons per plant for your regular earthtainer? Based on shorter anticipated growing season? Are you selecting more compact varieties...if so, which varieties? Looking good!
Thanks.
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #7
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

Ray its looking good man.
Are you gonna check ph and ec/ppm? Seems with the InnTainer's its gonna be inconvenient to check ph and ppm. Have you thought of convent ways for this?
Also with the 400w HPS it covers about a 3x3 foot area. So try to keep your tomatoes within that area. Also your gonna be wasting a lot of light. Unless you put up some sort of reflective material around your setup (no mirrors). Any light not hitting your plants is being wasted.
Keep up the great work Ray!
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #8
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJACTIVIST View Post
Ray its looking good man.
Are you gonna check ph and ec/ppm? Seems with the InnTainer's its gonna be inconvenient to check ph and ppm. Have you thought of convent ways for this?
Also with the 400w HPS it covers about a 3x3 foot area. So try to keep your tomatoes within that area. Also your gonna be wasting a lot of light. Unless you put up some sort of reflective material around your setup (no mirrors). Any light not hitting your plants is being wasted.
Keep up the great work Ray!
L8
MJ
Emergency blankets work well and are about $2.50 or so each at the big box stores
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Well, I've now got 5 of the 6 InnTainers in operation tonight:

Had to run around to 3 Hydroponics Stores today to find Sunshine #4 Mix. Finally located it at a Hydroponics Chain that serves N. Cali and Oregon. $28.00 for the 3.8 cu. ft. bale. This is even cheaper than Miracle-Gro Mix!!!

I've got Miracle-Gro Potting Mix (4 parts) mixed with one part each of Perlite and Bark Fines for my Grow Media, which I am using in three of the InnTainers, and in the other three, 4 parts Sunshine #4 Mix with 1 part Bark Fines. This Mix already has a high percentage of Perlite included.

I'll detail the fertilizer trials in another post later, once everything is complete and percolating.....

Raybo
Old December 16, 2010   #10
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

The only thing left to do is punch a few holes in the roof and install some skylites...
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
The only thing left to do is punch a few holes in the roof and install some skylites...
Dust,

Funny you should mention that. This setup is in Son #1's (abandoned) bedroom. In the master bedroom, we have a large 6 ft by 3 ft. skylight over the bed. Fun to look up at the stars at 3:00am sometimes, and I'll occasionally see a meteor shooting across the sky.

I "proposed" to Dear Wife a few days ago that we move into the abandoned bedroom so I could put the InnTainers directly under the skylight. Great idea!! Response was not too supportive of the relocation.

Raybo
Old December 16, 2010   #12
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

I'd put a plastic hornworm on your wife's pillow as a warning

Dust
Old December 16, 2010   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dust, She mentioned something like: "Well, go ahead and move yourself into that other bedroom". I did not see the "win-win" in following through on this suggestion, however...

Raybo
Old December 16, 2010   #14
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Maybe block off some of the heat to your bedroom and blame it on that drafty skylight. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" will quickly change her mind

Dust
Old December 16, 2010   #15
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Ray I think you wife has been more than kind in allowing you to have your stuff in the house period. I love my tomatoes but I could not deal with a garden in the house. Besides you live in Ca. what else could you ask for?

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote