Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2018   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default new season, same thripps

I can deal with just about anything when it comes to pests.... but thrips are just the worst. It only takes a few days and thats it, game over. One becomes an infestation in a week. I think the lawn guys bring them in when they come in with their mowers to cut the grass and spread the "love". That or the last weather system from West Texas carried them in from New Mexico. I dont know. I only know I am defeated by these spec sized insects...again.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Neighbors must be infested with them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
I can deal with just about anything when it comes to pests.... but thrips are just the worst. It only takes a few days and thats it, game over. One becomes an infestation in a week. I think the lawn guys bring them in when they come in with their mowers to cut the grass and spread the "love". That or the last weather system from West Texas carried them in from New Mexico. I dont know. I only know I am defeated by these spec sized insects...again.
Thrips are strongly attracted to yellow sticky traps. Get only the Seabright labs brand at Amazon, about $1 each for a 15 pack. They last all season too. Other brands might be cheaper but will trap animals and birds.
An added advantage is that these attract whiteflies and leaf miner flies too, very little trouble with either when you put out the sticky traps.
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Sticky...w+sticky+traps
Seem to be even cheaper here, but I don't know about shipping. https://www.healthyharvest.com/stick...EaAl8-EALw_wcB
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

and spray your crops with insecticidal soap with a drop of spreader sticker in it. this has been the best control we have found for them.
Old May 16, 2018   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Bella Rossa
mountain merit
Skyway
Dixie red

They never go away, you can only reduce their numbers
Last year was a total loss at springtime, this year I only lost half due to aggressive control measures

I feel your pain.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote