Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 2, 2010   #31
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Ted
I know this is last years thread however
You are right on - and this has happened for the last three years now in Calif When I was in the process of moving and didn't plant seeds I picked up some Bonnie plants at Lowes and Wallmart (they carried them at HD but since stopped I think)
anyway 90% of the plants from Bonnie came down with something and spread to other plants I got - only a few vendors had good plants - did see Anthracnose also on my OP Dona - they actually did pretty well and not all the fruit were effected with Anth

Glad I am back to starting from seed - do you treat seed? I have wondered with all the possibilities of seed borne diseases we really have to be cautious on our seed suppliers

Dennis

I have had isolated problems with nematodes(used to use vapam- no longer used in Calif) and I planted other stuff there or planted in buckets

The only disease I ever had was with I think downey mildew and got rid of it with serenade and then sprayed for and got rid of the white flies
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #32
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

I had a few plants that looked like joshua trees by the end of summer (none that looked like that poor plant in containerted's post on page 1) I grow most of my own plants and just passed it off as this was just not a good year for tomatoes. I left the plants in place Ruth Stout style and covered them with mulch instead of dumping them on the compost pile, which gets spread everywhere.

I did buy 2 six packs (3" pots) of eggplant on sale for $3 per pack. Didn't even pay attention to the label. I suspect most grocery store shoppers are the same way. Anyway, they did fine- better than I thought they would. I'll keep my eye out this year.

As far as growth regulators, Sumagic was approved early last year for use on veggies. As a consultant said "keep an eye out for short green tomato seedlings". From a plant growing standpoint, these plants should be healthier, but don't be sprayin' any PGRs on my plants!!
From the manufacturer's website:
http://www.valent.com/newsroom/newsr...ransplants.cfm

I like it when old threads pop up. New to me!

David
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote