Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2017   #1
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Asking for a friend!!! Old seeds.

Someone gave my buddy a can of old seeds and he's looking for any information. Can anyone tell me anything about these? I think the date is 11-90 but I may be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171107_140659-544x725 (1).jpg (116.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 20171107_140703-544x725.jpg (166.9 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; November 8, 2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: to add 2nd pic
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I might be wrong, but it looks like https://www.google.com/search?q=peto...w=1152&bih=575
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #3
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Ethylene Bisdithiocarbamate

Thiram
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #4
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks but I'm more interested in the type of tomato this is than the company but I did find some info on the company.

1996:

Petoseed Co., Inc. changes its name to Seminis Vegetable Seeds, Inc.

2005:

Monsanto Company purchases Seminis, Inc.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-12-...egetable-seeds
Old November 9, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Thanks but I'm more interested in the type of tomato this is than the company but I did find some info on the company.

1996:

Petoseed Co., Inc. changes its name to Seminis Vegetable Seeds, Inc.

2005:

Monsanto Company purchases Seminis, Inc.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-12-...egetable-seeds
I entered Agristar Hybrid on Google,which is the tomato on the can, and came up with

https://www.google.com/search?q=Agri...&bih=815&dpr=1

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old November 9, 2017   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know Peto Seed was such a large producer on many of the hybrids we have today or the long history of the company.

Here's the history of Petoseed from the link at the bottom. By George Ball - Burpee Chairman and CEO

I shall add some background. Our genius founder W. Atlee Burpee innovated vegetable seed and plant selection for the US continent—versus old varieties from Europe that were growing badly in such a different summer climate—from the 1870s to his untimely passing in 1915. Many years later his son David lost a great asset in the exodus of Oved Shifress, a key tomato and squash breeder to Israel during the late 1940s. He hired a new plant breeder named Howard Peto, a second generation immigrant from Canada. Mr. Peto bred many fine tomatoes, peppers and melons during his five years with the company. David Burpee moved him to California to open a year ’round breeding center for the US western climate and to economize research and stock (parent) seed production by avoiding the Pennsylvania winter.

Soon after setting up Burpee’s new operations in California, Mr. Peto decided to divide his time between home garden breeding and breeding for the so-called truck market, medium to large-sized farmers who transport their farm produce by truck to urban markets. He wished also to breed for juice and canned tomatoes. However, Mr. Burpee did not wish to breed for any consumer other than the home gardener and the small, local farmer.

Therefore, Mr. Peto quit the Burpee Company in the mid 50s and started up his own company. His first tomato was ‘Wonder Boy’, an inferior knock-off of ‘Big Boy’, which is the famous home garden hybrid bred in 1948 by Oved Shifriss of Burpee, whom Mr. Peto replaced. Undoubtedly Mr. Peto used his “garden knowledge” to get his California commercial tomato seed business going. Nevertheless, he left the Burpee Company amicably. These were “the old days” when agreements and disagreements were commonly settled with a handshake.

Mr. Peto’s replacement at Burpee was Paul Thomas who bred many fine home garden tomatoes during the late 50s and early 60s before also leaving for California to join Mr. Peto. Thus, “Petoseed” became a supplier of some high quality open-pollinated as well as hybrid garden vegetable seeds. (However, all varietal candidates had to be tested at Fordhook Farm in Doylestown, PA, which continues to be the case today.) Soon many more garden seed companies bought from not only Burpee but also from Petoseed, companies as diverse as Ferry-Morse, Park’s, Gurney’s, Johnny’s, Northrup King and Comstock-Ferre. Burpee and Petoseed together dominated vegetable breeding for the home garden consumer during the 60s. The sole difference between the two companies was that Petoseed bred also for the West Coast commercial farm growers, whereas Burpee adhered to a strict focus on the home gardener. But, by industry tradition in those days, in a “blind trial” the best tasting tomato wins, and often Mr. Burpee bought varieties from Mr. Peto, as well as, of course, bred tomatoes himself and with Mr. Thomas’ replacement, John Mondry.

Then, Petoseed was purchased in the late 60s (1968, I think) by my uncle, G. Victor Ball, assisted by my father G. Carl Ball, his vice-president at George J. Ball—or “Ball Seed” as it was known at the time—a company founded in 1905 by my grandfather, a very enterprising flower breeder. Our small flower seed company suddenly became a large flower and vegetable seed company while I was in boarding school.

The late David Burpee, who I met as a teenager while working on a seed farm in Costa Rica, then did business with my uncles and later my father, after my last uncle semi-retired. Today my sister Anna Ball owns this company, now known as Ball Horticultural. So that is the background of facts.

However, the past that some folks are extremely focused upon has to do with my father’s desire to sell Petoseed, with his brother’s (my uncle’s) approval, as well as that of many relatives such as a brother, sister, aunts and cousins, to an entrepreneur from Mexico named Alfonso Romo Garza. Mr. Romo, as he is called, began in baked goods and then branched out into packaging, cigarettes, beer and insurance. He even founded a business school in Monterey in the late 90s modeled on Wharton—all before reaching the age of 40. He was, and remains, an impressive entrepreneur who, at that time, wanted to diversify from cookies, crackers, beer, tobacco, et al, into vegetables, fruits and grain. He was profiled on page 1 of the Wall Street Journal shortly before the mid 1990s transaction (about ’94-’95). His vision was to help the burgeoning population of small and medium sized farmers primarily in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America.

Nevertheless, throughout these changes of ownership, Petoseed was always the same—an extremely well-run company, composed of many ex-Burpee breeders and executives, and headquartered in Ventura County in Southern California. It remains so to this day.

In 1994 I was asked by my father, the late G. Carl Ball, to assist in part of the transition by serving on the board with him of the new Mexican company—Seminis—composed of Petoseed and several other free-standing companies Mr. Romo bought, from a small watermelon breeding company in Texas to the large corn breeder, Asgrow, of Kalamazoo, Michigan. I served about a year and then left to focus my energies on Burpee, which I had bought, first with my family in the early 90s, and then from my family, in the late 90s. Naturally, as the president of Burpee, I continued to produce seed, as I have done my entire career, but also bought from any company that could do better than I, including my old friends—and former colleagues—at Petoseed, now called Seminis. (This is the core of my business philosophy: sell only the best.)

In the early 2000s Mr. Romo decided to divest himself of all his non-Mexican seed holdings for reasons of his own, and sold Seminis to first one investment bank, which then sold it to another investment bank, which then sold it to Monsanto in the mid 2000s, about ’04 or ’05.

This sale took place long after Petoseed began in the mid 1950s by an ex-Burpee tomato breeder, some of whose tomatoes are still loved by home gardeners nationwide, such as Paul Thomas’ ‘Better Boy’. The list of companies that buy from the garden seed department of Seminis, now a very tiny business activity of Monsanto, is long and includes most of the high quality seed sellers, as well as Burpee. We at Burpee never reject serving our customers the best quality home garden vegetable varieties we can either grow or find, and some of the latter include varieties from Seminis. All are still tested at Fordhook Farm in Pennsylvania.

Finally, it is extremely important to note that when Monsanto acquired Seminis, neither Burpee as a company nor I, George Ball as its owner, had any financial ownership or interest in either company. It was that way when Monsanto purchased Seminis and remains that way today. Burpee continues as a privately owned company and, as I wish to emphasize, along with other leaders in the home gardening industry, we seek out suitable seeds from Seminis and other companies that adhere to the rigid guidelines we maintain and require of all our suppliers to you our valued home garden and small farmer customers. If we cannot breed and produce the seeds or plants ourselves, we find those that can.

On behalf of the entire staff of W. Atlee Burpee & Co., thank you for 135 years of patronage, and for your future consideration of our many fine vegetable and flower varieties, whether bred by us or by our treasured suppliers the world over.

https://www.burpee.com/gardenadvicec...pee-seeds.html
Old November 13, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I knew George Ball.

Not all he said above is correct, but only George could spin a story,especially after he created too many outlets and he went bankrupt b/c of that. Brought out a separate Heirloom catalog, and as for the tomato section went,many many wrong descriptions and pictures. I remember the wrong descriptions better than wrong pictures, but now can I list varieties for you, nope, I should have kept that catalog.

Ah,history.

Carolyn