Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Black Cherry will be the best, I have high expectation of my seeds. Make sure you have a very big and tall trellis.
Thanks Max.
I will have to remember this.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Black Cherry from TGS will not grow in my garden (.) And I really like TGS.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #18
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

I have a taste for intensely sweet cherry tomatoes too. For pure sweetness nothing beats currant tomatoes. So I always go 1 or 2 currants As far as cherries go last year I was pleasantly surprised with Japanese pink cherry. I wouldn't call it intensely sweet, but it's plenty sweet. What sets it apart is its resemblance to a bing cherry, both the mouth feel when you eat it and vaguely in its flavor too.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Sweetest I have tasted were Blush and Sunrise Bumblebee.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #20
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is that Cream tomato the same thing as Amethyst Cream?

The photo and description in the link you provided looks and sounds the same.
I googled Cream Cherry Tomato and nothing came up except recipes for cream and tomato soup or pasta.
I'm wondering the same, but they seem to have a different backstory. Here http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...t_Cream_Cherry it states "developed by Brad Gates at Wild Boar Farms". While on the original link https://store.tomatofest.com/Cream_H...p/tf-0127m.htm it states "seeds given to Gary Ibsen of TomatoFest in 2015 by Gary Cass from the Big Island of Hawaii. Introduced commercially by TomatoFest Organic Tomato Seeds in 2016.
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #21
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

The best one for me is Green Tiger, very fruity, Blush is great too, along with Maglia Rosa, I have a good Colourful combo. All great tasting varieties.
I've grown Nectar for a couple of years, nothing special, not that sweet really. Sweet100 is better. I grew Suncherry F1 once, it was truly great, but I have not seen seeds for sale for a while. It claimed to be Sungold's little sister, in red.
Blackcherry is consistently late, bland and thick-skinned for me in my climate, but super productive. Purple Bumble Bee is at better, but not very sweet.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

While I second Esterina F1 and Blush, in my garden, not much beats Russian Mini Yellow, a small cherry on a huge, rambling plant, that I'm pretty sure I got from one of Dr. Carolyn's seed offers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2017   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I'd call Black Cherry one of the sweetest out there. It is very likeable and lots of people do like it, but if you're going for sweetest...?
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #24
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry can get very very sweet for me, especially when the fruit gets very dark under Florida sun. I think a brix value up to 9 is possible with longer ripening. Usually they're much lower than that. Nectar is the only one I've grown so far that get to 10. But sweetness usually don't translate to overall flavor, I much prefer Black Cherry.

Last edited by maxjohnson; February 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #25
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Chiming in mostly to follow this thread, but also to add that somewhere on these board is a discussion of Sweet Aperitif, a very sweet red cherry bred in England. (I'm considering it for this year, along with SunGold F1 and Gardener's Sweetheart, a sweet red cherry that's heart-shaped. I might just grow all three, along with Pink Ping Pong, a mildly sweet large cherry/small saladette that's currently at the top of my list of new varieties to try.)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #26
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

I've heard about Sweet Aperitif and Matt's Wild Cherry, but they are currants. When I used to grow SS100 they would get currant size at the end of the season and I ended up not bothering. I just like having a mouthful when I eat no matter what it is. I take big bites. Different parts of your mouth pick up different flavors and I like to get the full effect.

So after many of you have chimed in, I think I've come to the conclusion that nothing compares to Sungold for it's sweetness/uniqueness combination. It might be better to go for cherries that have a great flavor more so than flat out sweetness. With that said, I'm looking at Blush, one of the Bumblebees (instead of Isis Candy?) as a bi-color (now I have to decide on which Bumblebee), and I'd still like to try AO UBX.

I'm still trying to find out what that "Cream" cherry is. I emailed Tomatofest. Waiting for a reply.

Also, I grew Black Cherry years ago along with SS100 and Sungold, and it was almost inedible to me. It had very little sweetness and was almost bitter. Many many people list it as their favorite, so I'm tempted to give it another try just in case it was mislabeled or something else was off. It's funny though, how some people have a taste for a particular variety and to others the taste is quite objectionable. I gave a guy at work a bag of cherry toms last year containing Sungold, Sugar Gloss (never heard of them before so bought a plant and they were not really sweet ... plain and unexciting) and Green Grape (which I grew for the first time last year because I read good things, but turned out to be bland) and he ended up preferring the GG! Over Sungold much less!

I also wonder why a variety can taste different year to year depending on conditions, but I've never heard or read anyone say that about Sungold. It tastes the same every year for me no matter what.
Old February 12, 2017   #27
uno
Tomatovillian™

I don't like the taste of this tomato but it's a beautiful plant and sets lots of little marble sized fruit. It's called coyote. I would say as far as just sweetness goes it was the sweetest that I ever grew.

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2017   #28
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Now that the season is coming to an end here in the Philadelphia area, I'd like to give a report on my cherry's.

After much indecision, I ended up growing:

Sungold
Nectar
Blush
Isis Candy

I grow cherries mainly to eat off the plant when in the garden.

Sungold - Was fabulous as usual, even with all the rain.

Nectar - As sweet as advertised. Not complex in flavor as most have said, but still really sweet and enjoyable to my pallette. I also liked that it maintained its size to the end (a little larger than average), unlike SS100 which gets too small towards the end of the season. This will be my red cherry for the foreseeable future.

Blush - It produced well and looked cool, but was bland. I pulled it halfway.

Isis Candy - Just ok. Was a little sweet with a somewhat meaty texture. Good for salads. Maybe someday again, but not in the near future.

So next year it'll be Sungold and Nectar again. For new additions, I'm looking at Snow White, Ildi, and thinking about giving Black Cherry another try. Seems a lot of folks like Sugar Lump, so it's a possibility.
Old November 5, 2017   #29
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sweet Aperitif this year and it was very sweet AND had a complex flavor!

I am intrigued that you grew Blush and that it tasted bland as I came to the same conclusion last year. This year I grew Blush by mistake and it was divinely fruity and sweet so I wondered if I had sampled it at the wrong stage last year.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2017   #30
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Waiting for full "Blush" is often a mistake. Particularly early in the year,
and also during wet periods, waiting for full blushing (marbling)
results in over-ripe fruit that are of low quality.

Sometimes, late in the year, or during drought/dry-farm conditions,
blushing is correlated much better with peak flavor.

Rule of thumb: There is no rule of thumb, except that it is good to start tasting Blush fruits as soon as the green stripes start to fade to yellow, and before marbling begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I grew Sweet Aperitif this year and it was very sweet AND had a complex flavor!

I am intrigued that you grew Blush and that it tasted bland as I came to the same conclusion last year. This year I grew Blush by mistake and it was divinely fruity and sweet so I wondered if I had sampled it at the wrong stage last year.....

Linda
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote