Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2016   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Help Me Find A Good Hose

I am sick and tired of lugging the kinking heavy hose around in my garden, just sick of it! Got it 2 years ago, forgot what I paid but it wasn't cheap. Yeah, it was labeled kink free, ha! I knew it wouldn't last. Seems no matter what, I need a replacement after a couple of years.
Looked online and there are a million choices. Read reviews, can't believe them all so I thought I'd ask you all. What are you using and is it light? Right now I feel like a fire fighter carrying those heavy-duty hoses on their shoulders.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #2
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

I only have a small garden of containers and raised beds. This has worked well for me over the last year. I got it from Amazon.
Clear Flow® Water Garden Hose (75 ft). Just search this. It is lightweight. I use it mostly with a Dramm watering wand. I use it to attach to my soaker hoses.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #3
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

I am also tired of the never-ending hose merry-go-round.

Whatever you do stay away from the "scrunchy" type retractable hoses. I bought one at Walmart and loved it...until it broke on the 3rd use. When I returned it customer service said the return rate is astronomical, with them often failing on the first use.

My most recent purchase is from Costco, we'll see how it performs. It is still heavy. Those of you with a greenhouse should look into a hanging system called Hi Hose which keeps it off the ground and the hose hangs on a central cable, keeping it off the floor. http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ering-supplies
Old June 12, 2016   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am so glad you started this thread. My hoses have always been a thorn in my side. I'll be reading this thread with interest.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #5
mgk65
Tomatovillian™

Just yesterday, we got a Zero-G garden hose from Lowes.
description:
  • Jobsite tough- abrasion, leak and puncture-resistant
  • Consistent, high flow equal to a conventional 5/8 inch hose
  • Kink-Free, easy to maneuver and store
  • 600+ psi burst rated
  • Remains flexible in cold weather down to 35°
  • Engineered high density G-Force™ woven fibers offer durable, long lasting wear equal to commercial garden hoses
  • Drinking water safe
  • Lead-free complies with Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-i...Hose/999972996

Not tried it yet, but looks heavy duty, but with a heavy price. Nearly $37.
mgk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #6
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Waterright hoses.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Garden hose has to be made from soft elastic material that has thick wall and yet it is flexible and soft. I hate those green color el cheapos . They become like a cardboard after a while, with no flexibility .
I bought a good one 3 years ago from Ace Hardware that I like a lot.

Mine looks like this, not actual one.
GH-2.jpg

I think it is "Contractors Grade". There is also Industrial grade.
They cost a little more but worth it . I believe paying some extra for tools and things that use so often. I may buy disposable consumers good from like Dollar store But never a tool.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

The only hoses that hold up year after year for me are black rubber and they're very heavy. They will, occasionally kink but not often. Not cheap. I'd love to find a light weight hose that would work as well.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The only thing worse than trying to find a good hose is a good hose reel that doesn't make you swear out loud every time you use it. I've tried the cheap plastic ones, the expensive metal, they all end in swearing and frightening the neighbors.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't remember the name of the 100' hose I bought, but I got it at Walmart for about $40. It won't kink unless you force it to. It looks like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0036.JPG (93.4 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0037.JPG (95.7 KB, 241 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #11
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Ive been through all this and I have found 2 that I Really like.

Flexzilla Garden hose. Not awfully heavy but very flexible and wont kink. They are a little spendy but you get what you pay for.

Sears garden hose. The heavy black one with kind of flats on it. A little heavier but wont kink and will last forever. On sale from time to time.

Cant lose with either one. Ive got the Flexzilla on an Ames Neverleak metal hose reel from Lowes. Best setup Ive ever had. Love it. The sears lays by the driveway in the open year round and still looks like new.

Last edited by weaselbean; June 12, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #12
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselbean View Post
Ive been through all this and I have found 2 that I Really like.

Flexzilla Garden hose. Not awfully heavy but very flexible and wont kink. They are a little spendy but you get what you pay for.

Sears garden hose. The heavy black one with kind of flats on it. A little heavier but wont kink and will last forever. On sale from time to time.

Cant lose with either one. Ive got the Flexzilla on an Ames Neverleak metal hose reel from Lowes. Best setup Ive ever had. Love it. The sears lays by the driveway in the open year round and still looks like new.
can vouch for the craftsman big black rubber hose, but they are too heavy, esp if you are toting 100 feet. great hoses for the money.

Flexilla can kiss my arse. bought one and the hose end pulled off and the weak wall wouldn't hold an aftermarket clamp on. furthermore, flexilla gave me the cold shoulder with terrible customer service and would not warranty (maybe w/ receipt) but bought hose that lasted one year. In addition, the thing got so dirty (and could not clean) it was a moldy dark splotchy mess. ended up throwing in the rubbish and will never buy again.

i have run over the craftsman hose and they replace no questions ask. if you "still" have a sears standing can't go wrong, but heavy and heavy duty.

The waterright hoses are u.s.a. made with outstanding craftsman and come in an array of cool colors. light as a feather as far as hoses go. have two 100' that is easy to handle, a 100' craftsman hose w/ make you curse like a sailor lugging that big dude around.

Glad you have had some luck w/ your flexilla, hope it holds up. If you get suckered into their hype, make sure to keep the receipt.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The ultimate in a good hose.
It is called a forestry hose.
These are used on boats and everywhere a good hose is needed.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...-FORESTRY-HOSE

https://youtu.be/T4Nt8Mq0VDc

They have a better one called a household fire station hose.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...B_hPVFUKKUGIOw

Last edited by Worth1; June 12, 2016 at 05:34 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #14
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk65 View Post
Just yesterday, we got a Zero-G garden hose from Lowes.
description:
  • Jobsite tough- abrasion, leak and puncture-resistant
  • Consistent, high flow equal to a conventional 5/8 inch hose
  • Kink-Free, easy to maneuver and store
  • 600+ psi burst rated
  • Remains flexible in cold weather down to 35°
  • Engineered high density G-Force™ woven fibers offer durable, long lasting wear equal to commercial garden hoses
  • Drinking water safe
  • Lead-free complies with Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-i...Hose/999972996

Not tried it yet, but looks heavy duty, but with a heavy price. Nearly $37.
$37 sounds reasonable to me, I paid more for the one I have now. I will go to Lowes this week to look and to hold it; I buy a lot online but some things you wanna actually see and touch before you buy. I'd hate to order from Amazon and then want to return it later; you know the nightmare that might happen .
Water Right and Clear Flow also intrigued me but after reading some reviews I think I will hold off on deciding till after I see this one from Lowes. The guy in the first review on Lowes for this Zero-G wrote a very detailed, informative review that listed the pros and cons in a fair manner and that made me understand the workings of a hose better.

Thanks everyone and if you have more suggestions keep them coming!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You get what you pay for.

I think my cheap hoses should have the brand name 'E-Z Kink.'
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote