Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 9, 2013   #16
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Often see other people mention Skagit Valley Gold as been a great eating potato,they certainly look a lovely spud

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #17
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Wendy, if you enjoyed the azule rose, you would like the F2 version. It is basically the same looking plant with larger tubers, and 4 times the yield. I will send you one if you would like.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #18
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@Wingnut
An offer so difficult to refuse! I have many blues from that I've gotten Tom and the Azule Rose I have is a little less appealing, it was a bit hard to cook and this year got some scab but many other potatoes I had also got scab

These are the blues I got so far:

Azul Toro
Angus Bull
Magic Molly
Mule Skinner Blues
Blue Rockies
PI225710
Azule Rose
Negate

Also the one's from Richard Watson's Mystery TPS
Mystery (Richard's clone)
Mystery Blue Long 1
Mystery Blue Round

I had my eyes on one called Black Irish but how is that F2 Azule Rose compared to those above? taste?
Old April 9, 2013   #19
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato evaluation

Please post the rest of your chart so we can see which potatoes you didn't score well!
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #20
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@sdzejachok
Quote:
Please post the rest of your chart so we can see which potatoes you didn't score well!
The rest of the chart will not mean much as it because is incomplete. Those potatoes are mostly TPS seedling tubers that need to be grown and evaluated, the only score it has is the storage ability.

Are you interested in anything in particular?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3.jpg (36.2 KB, 26 views)
Old April 14, 2013   #21
luv3angels
Tomatovillian™

@Durgan- thanks for your pics- I always look forward to them.
luv3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #22
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
I have Fripapa F1 which has name as Fripapa 1, 2, 3 from TPS grown also but is not in that table. I got 3 different colors.
What were the three colors you observed?

I'm seeing a few different colors in the stems of my seedlings, and I would like to see how they match-up with your colors. I have one stem that is either dark red or blue/purple, quite a few stems that appear a lighter red / pink color (it is difficult to get a definitive read on these), and I also have clear (or typical green) stems (I am assuming these will be yellow skin).

Last edited by Mark0820; May 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #23
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@Mark0820
Fripapa TPS gave me plants looking like this

Here are bigger in pots (3 plants)

The potato skin was yellow skin and light pink skin (right side of the picture)

but I only saved the pink as clone.

Last edited by wmontanez; May 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: adding picture
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #24
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

The Fripapa's with yellow skin look nice also. The second one almost looks yellow/gold, but maybe it is just the way the lighting is shining on the potatoes.

The one stem I thought was potentially blue/purple is actually a very dark pink. We had thunderstorms this morning so the darkness of the storm impacted the overall lighting I was using to check the stems.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #25
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Mark0820
There was one more yellow than the other is not the light but since I have so many yellows skin already I decided to grow the pink instead. Let me know if you get the same segregation. Also the flesh of the pink skin is yellow inside. The seedling had some color in the axils and stem. I forgot to look at the pollen I think it did flower but can't find notes. I am taking more notes of flower habits this year.

I also got berries again from the clone Fripapa (not from TPS) 2 years in a row so probably was crossed with others, I have yet to grow it as TPS. Next year my plan is to drop 1/2 of the clones I have and grow again more TPS since potatoes grown from TPS some are not that great so I will drop those this year after eval for taste/yield.
Old May 10, 2013   #26
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, you say the yields are to low, when in fact you don't even know Wendy's yield per plant. She uses a ranking system between 1 and 5, 1 may equal 2 pounds, and 5 may equal 10 pounds. Just saying.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
The yields are too low. I expect 4 to 7 pounds from each plant, and of excellent quality. Anything less than four pounds per plant, I consider marginal

Example:
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZLDZE 15 September 2010 Viking Potatoes Harvested

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RUDKB 15 September 2010 Chieftain Potatoes Harvested.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ATRDM 15 September 2010 Agria Potatoes Harvested

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FBQWE 11 September 2010 Russian Blue Potatoes.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BKWAI 11 September 2010 Yukon Gold Test Box Potatoes
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #27
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Durgan, you say the yields are to low, when in fact you don't even know Wendy's yield per plant. She uses a ranking system between 1 and 5, 1 may equal 2 pounds, and 5 may equal 10 pounds. Just saying.....
I can follow a table. All that is required is the number of pounds or any other unit per plant. 1 to 5 is silly. Incidentally no potato produces ten pounds.

Pound per plant should be the main criteria, then the more subtle characteristics can be considered.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #28
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
1 to 5 is silly.
I don't understand why it would be silly. Since I made the scale for my comparison purposes and no one has to look at it if they don't want to can just ignore this thread. Also anyone can come up with any scale it satisfy them as a way to determine the yield. It can be per plant, per pounds of tuber planted, per linear ft ....is up to the person. In my case yield is NOT the most important factor. In my particular case the most important factor is flavor, second storage ability and then it goes in order of what is important for me. To grow more pounds I can add fertilizer and baby the plants with watering etc but I choose to stress my plants so the real winner can shine. Those folks that benefit from such a comparison I am glad they can use the information, those that think is pointless then I personally can't really care less since everyone is entitled to have an opinion
Old May 11, 2013   #29
hdrider
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
I can follow a table. All that is required is the number of pounds or any other unit per plant. 1 to 5 is silly. Incidentally no potato produces ten pounds.

Pound per plant should be the main criteria, then the more subtle characteristics can be considered.
Not to be rude but since wmontanez is sharing personal experiences and findings with us I don't think that anyone should say what or how they track it is silly. They track what is important to them.

I for one will take all the information I can get and to use it anyway I can. If that means that some of the info provided does not pertain to my needs I will be thankful for the info that did. I will not only use the info on these potatoes to my full ability but wood love to see the same kind of tracking used with other veggies.

My first concern in my attempts to raise a garden is to harvest great tasting healthy food. The how much per plant is only a secondary concern after I accomplish the first. If I can accomplish both then I have a keeper for the next year.

Through all of the gracious people on this forum I find my goals easier to achieve. I want to thank everyone no matter what their opinion or methods for making my gardening endeavors easier and more abundant not to mention rewarding.

Thankyou everyone, even the ones that I don't always agree with. Since they seem to be the ones that get me to open my eyes and except change into my rock hard head.
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013   #30
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@hdrider
I appreciate your comments. I do have some experience growing sweet peppers too. So for peppers try morning sun exposure and afternoon shade not full sun ~8hrs of direct sun seem enough in my MA garden. Of course I did a well documented experiment too. Try and see if you get better results. I've tried that 3 years in a row and the yield and health of the plants seem to agree with it.