Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 6 Days Ago   #8101
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

This wouldn't normally be cheap eatin but I bought the oxtails marked down 40% so it qualifies.
I made Jamaican stewed oxtails with Peas and Rice.
This came out really good. It's sweet, hot, spicy and addictive. The coconut flavored rice cools the burn and cleanses the pallet to eat more spicy tender oxtails.

I followed most of Quang's recipe and it came out awesome. I used the old Presto Fry Master pressure cooker/fryer and it worked perfect.

I really like the rice and beans cooked together, I'll have to try that with other beans and experiment a little.
Old 6 Days Ago   #8102
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, that rolled loin looks good. I might have to try that method with a Cajun twist on it.
Old 5 Days Ago   #8103
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I found this chili recipe site and thought it might be helpful. These are recipes from the winners of the 2017 CASI Terlingua International Chili Championship.

Apparently the seasoning is only sold at HEB or online.

https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html
Old 5 Days Ago   #8104
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just watched a clip on the news about how to budget for food, with the prices expected to rise substantially next year. She estimated the budget per person for a Canadian family at $200 per person per month, but she said a person alone, will cost them $250 to $300. In the way of an explanation she said something like '.. harder to stick to a budget'. A lone person has to buy all the same staples as a family, I figure this is the main reason it costs more.

Some familiar tips for food budgeting: freezer is your friend: buy in bulk, cook in bulk, freeze in portions.

She also said to stick to your budget by making a list; make your meal plan around the items you already have and get what you need to use those items. Apparently Canadians waste a lot of food. She said the best tip of all is "Eat what you buy".
She didn't mention buying the specials. Which seems a key strategy to me. Stock up on what's cheap and plan meals around that. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong?
I must admit I find it hard to leave a grocery store without spending my last dollar. OTOH I'm not in the habit of throwing food away.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8105
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I had to make a pot of chili and cornbread for supper last night after reading through some of those recipes I posted. I forgot the chopped onions and wish I had some Fritos but it was good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3515.JPG (339.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3519.JPG (266.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 4 Days Ago   #8106
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That looks awesome! Haven't had chili with corn bread in a good while.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #8107
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Chili looks awesome. Care to share a recipe?
Old 3 Days Ago   #8108
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Chili looks awesome. Care to share a recipe?
Will do as soon as I have time to write it up. Probably a little later today.
Old 3 Days Ago   #8109
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Alright, I tried to be thorough but I'm sure I forgot something.

• 1 ½ lbs ground beef
• 1 medium onion finely diced
• ½ medium green bell pepper diced
• 3 garlic cloves minced
• 1 jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped and/or 1 can of Rotel, depends on the heat you want
• 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
• 1 small can of tomato sauce
• 15.5 oz can kidney beans undrained
• 3 cups chicken broth or use water and bouillon cubes or powder
• 1 tsp of your favorite seasoning salt or use salt and pepper, this is to season the raw meat before browning. I use Cajun seasoning, Tony’s.
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 ½ tsp granulated sugar
• 2 tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 2 ½ tsp chili powder, use good chili powder
• ½ tsp of Cayenne
• About 1/8th tsp of baking soda to cut the acid in the tomatoes, sprinkle and stir as soon as you add it. Add this after everything else is in the pot.

1. Season the ground meat and brown using any oil you like. Cook till almost done and drain grease.
2. Add onions and peppers, continue cooking till soft then add garlic and cook a few more minutes.
3. Add the seasonings except the baking soda one by one stirring to mix it in good.
4. Add all of the canned products with juice and stir then add the broth, stir and bring to a low boil on medium heat. Add the baking soda and stir till the bubbles stop forming. Lower heat and simmer for at least an hour. Make sure to stir and add water when needed. I use a large splatter screen to cover the pot to save a mess from the bubbling.
5. Use a potato masher and smash some beans to thicken the chili, you can decide how thick you want it and simmering it will also thicken it more but make sure to stir or it will burn on the bottom.
6. You might need to reseason at this point but it’s done, if I use Rotel I don’t add the jalapenos till after I taste it at this point. Rotel’s heat is unpredictable; sometimes it’s really hot and others not hot enough.

It sounds like a lot but its easy and normal ingredients that most chili’s have. I like to eat my chili with fresh diced onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro and either cornbread or Frito chips.

Recipes are more of a guide so make it your own and add what you like. You can add half pork and beef, more beans, no beans or I also add black beans and kidney beans.
Old 3 Days Ago   #8110
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I just watched a clip on the news about how to budget for food, with the prices expected to rise substantially next year. She estimated the budget per person for a Canadian family at $200 per person per month, but she said a person alone, will cost them $250 to $300. In the way of an explanation she said something like '.. harder to stick to a budget'. A lone person has to buy all the same staples as a family, I figure this is the main reason it costs more.

Some familiar tips for food budgeting: freezer is your friend: buy in bulk, cook in bulk, freeze in portions.

She also said to stick to your budget by making a list; make your meal plan around the items you already have and get what you need to use those items. Apparently Canadians waste a lot of food. She said the best tip of all is "Eat what you buy".
She didn't mention buying the specials. Which seems a key strategy to me. Stock up on what's cheap and plan meals around that. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong?
I must admit I find it hard to leave a grocery store without spending my last dollar. OTOH I'm not in the habit of throwing food away.

My food budget would decrease a lot if I wasn't cooking for me and my wife. I don't like to cook just for myself and I have no problem not eating anything if I don't want to eat. (I lost fifty lbs in six months a couple of years ago by minimizing my food intake. I could have easily lost one hundred lbs, but I was skinny after losing fifty)

I picked up a large Domino's thin crust, pepperoni and bacon pizza this evening for under nine dollars. I'm not usually a pizza fan because I don't like to eat a lot of bread. The thin crust was perfect. It was crispy and thin. Good meal for two for eight bucks isn't bad..

I've been experimenting with different types and quantities of hot peppers mixed into my cornbread batter. I like a lot of really hot pepper. My wife prefers no hot pepper in her cornbread. I put a can of blended chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce in my batter last week. After cooking, it looked like a red velvet cake. It was pretty spicy and tasted good to me. It was way to hot for my wife.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8111
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Thanks a lot Rajun. Gonna try this one.
Old 2 Days Ago   #8112
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Sunset brand grape tomatoes are cheap at the local HEB. It's a pint for $1.38. The package says that it's an extra sweet grape tomato, but they are actually on the slightly acidic side of balanced. They are greenhouse grown in Mexico. The reason why I'm mentioning them is because they taste good. I wouldn't mind growing them myself, but they're probably a hybrid. It is a good sign though - store bought tomatoes that taste pretty good.
We bought a different brand of what is labeled as "Grape" tomatoes. Brand name - Kingdom Fresh Farms. They are a little smaller and sweeter and are $1.38 too. These tomatoes taste very good as if you grew them yourself. They are a product of Mexico, non GMO, and it says Do Not Refrigerate. I wonder if the owners are Tomatoville members?
Old 2 Days Ago   #8113
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

our area is bracing for a major winter storm. we went to aldi's last night for grocery and no joke they were fighting over a box of saltine crackers!

Rajun, that chili looks awesome! I'm going to have to try that recipe!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8114
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I ate the last bowl of it for lunch today and think it might've gotten better.

I just finished cooking a pot of 15 bean soup, added onions, bells and celery along with some pork neck bones I smoked a while back. I used the smoked Ghost pepper salt for seasoning and this stuff came out great.

Old 2 Days Ago   #8115
peebee
Tomatovillian™

15 bean? Was that a prepackaged bag that anyone can buy at the market? I can't even think of 15 different varieties .
That soup sure looks divine, I could use a bowl right now; our temps here in So. CA dipped to the low 60s since yesterday and I'm freezing!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote