Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 30, 2010   #1
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Default Planted potatoes from TPS

Friday eight seedlings from Durgan's "Russian Blue" TPS were planted (and I hope some of them are worthwhile) and one from Tom Wagner's crossed TPS. I still have some TPS from Durgan and a lot from Tom Wagner, and they will probably be sown next spring although it may still be possible to sow them now and get mini-tubers (for seed) this year.
Apparently "Russian Blue" is identical to some of the "varieties" that are popular here in Europe, particularly "(Blue) Congo".
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Russian Blue is grown as a separate variety but it does seem to be near or identical to many other clones synonymously named.

The cross Adirondack Red was made in 1994. The female was N40-2 (Chieftain x Black Russian) which may be the same as Russian Blue. Russian Blue and/or Black Russian may be clonal selections of All Blue...I just don't know. When I ask the other breeders...they don't know either...
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote