Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old June 24, 2007   #31
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
For Heaven's Sake, Chris! It's hard to read a recipe with a wad of worms there next to it. LOL!
Unless you savor the flavor of a nice juicy nightcrawler deep fried in cornmeal with a side of fried green tomatoes!
8)
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #32
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default RISOTTO WITH SUN DRIED TOMATOES

RISOTTO WITH SUN DRIED TOMATOES
6-8 c. chicken broth
2 c. Arborio rice (short grained Italian rice)
8 tbsp. butter
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
15 sun dried tomatoes, diced
3/4 c. dry red I wine (Merlot or Burgundy is fine)
10 fresh basil leaves
1 yellow onion, chopped

If tomatoes are packed in oil, drain them well. If not, soak them for 20 minutes in hot water, then drain them. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer in a 3-quart pan, melt 6 tablespoons
butter and over low heat, saute the onion until just golden. Add the rice and raise the heat to medium high. When the rice begins to sizzle and pop, add the wine. Simmer until the rice has absorbed the wine, then add a ladle full of hot broth. Reduce the heat to medium. When the rice has absorbed the broth, add the sun dried tomatoes,
being careful not to break them. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture, as a metal utensil will tear the rice. Add another ladle full of broth; when the rice has absorbed this, add another. Continue doing this until the rice is almost cooked, but still slightly firm to the bite. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter. When
melted, tear the basil into pieces and stir into the mixture along with the Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rest for 2 minutes before serving hot. Serve with additional Parmesan, if desired. Serves 4
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #33
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Herb-Crusted Salmon with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce

Herb-Crusted Salmon with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
4 tsp olive oil
2 Tbs shallots, minced
1 Tbs lemon juice, strained
1/2 cup dry white wine
6 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), finely minced
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tsp fresh basil, minced or 1 tsp crumbled dried basil
1 Tbs fresh thyme, minced or 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
2 Tbs fresh rosemary leaves, r 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 (12-ounce) skinless salmon fillets

In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add Shallotsa and saute, stirring constantly, until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice wine and sun dried tomatoes. Turn heat to medium-high and cook until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. (Sauce can be made up to 1 hour before cooking fish. Reheat over low heat just before removing fish from oven.)
Adjust oven rack to center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 x 2-inch oven proof casserole with cooking spray; set aside. On a piece of wax paper, combine basil. Thyme & rosemary and bread crumbs. Dredge each fillet in bread crumb mixture, coating well. Transfer fillets to prepared
pan and place 2 inches apart. Drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Bake in a preheated oven just until salmon is opaque and barely flakes when tested in the center with a knife, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to serving platter, slice each fillet in half crosswise, spoon sauce over fillets, and serve.

Yield: 4 servings Prep Time 20 min Cook Time 15 min

Last edited by brokenbar; January 15, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old January 5, 2009   #34
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Chicken Breasts Stuffed W/Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Ricotta

Chicken Breasts Stuffed W/Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Ricotta

2 Whole boneless chicken breasts pounded to 1/4 thickness
8 oz Ricotta softened at room temp
16 Sun-Dried Tomatoes packed in oil, diced finely
1.2 cup grated mozzarella
1 Sm can tomato paste
1 tsp each Oregano, basil & parsley
1 tbs olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Pound chicken breasts flat being careful not to tear or break. Mix Ricotta with diced tomatoes, oil & herbs. Spoon small amount into each breast and roll up (like jelly roll) Secure with toothpick. Brush tops with tomato paste. Sprinkled grated parmigiana on top. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
Old January 5, 2009   #35
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default WHITE BEANS AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES

WHITE BEANS AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES

1 lb. white beans
1 lb. mild or Hot Itlaian sausage, sliced
2 oz. sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
2 lg. onions
2 cloves garlic
1 green pepper
Parsley
Bay leaf
Thyme
ParsleyChicken broth

Rinse beans. Cover with chicken broth. Add chopped onions, garlic and green pepper, sliced sausage, and diced sun dried tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until soft.
Serve over rice. Serves 8 people.
Old January 15, 2009   #36
Penny
Tomatovillian™

More yummy recipes!!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #37
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Breaded tomatoes.
One way mom fixed canned tomatoes and and I have.

I take kettle and melt some butter or margerine and heat till just turning brown. Don't burn. Add canned tomatoes if need be chop up and salt and pepper and little sugar if you like and then add dry bread. Can even add a little water to make more.

Used up the dry bread and made tomatoes go farther. Not fancy but filling.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #38
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default A "MUST" make!

Chicken Parmigiana Neopolitano

Ingredients
  • 6 Large Chicken Breasts (The larger the better)
  • 1 Pound Ricotta Cheese (softened at room temperature.)
  • 3 eggs + ¼ cup water
  • 1 Large Green Bell Pepper diced,(remove seeds and white membrane)
  • 1 Cup Diced Black Olives
  • 1 Cup Diced Mushrooms
  • 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • ½ Pound Sweet Italian Sausage
  • ½ Cup Diced Sun Dried Tomatoes In Oil (You can substitute 2 paste tomatoes skinned, seeds and gel removed and diced finely.)
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
  • 1 Cup Corn Meal
  • ½ Pound Thinly Sliced Mozzarella (Or The Melting Cheese Of Your Choice.)
  • 2 16OZ Jars Marinara Sauce (Or Your Own Marinara Sauce)
  • Pasta Of Your Choice
  • Wooden Skewers Or Toothpicks
Pound chicken breasts to ¼ thick with mallet. Be careful NOT to tear breasts.
Brown Italian sausage until crumbly and done, retain grease. Remove sausage to large bowl add ricotta and mix throughly. To grease in sausage pan, add bell pepper & mushrooms. Saute until translucent.
Drain grease. Add cooked mushrooms, pepper, black olives and sun dried tomatoes to Ricotta/sausage mixture and mix thoroughly. Set aside.

Whisk eggs/water mixture until blended well. Place bread crumbs, flour and cornmeal in flat pan (pie plate works well.) Dip chicken breast into egg mixture. Place egg coated breast into bread crumb/flour/cornmeal mixture. Coat thoroughly. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of Ricotta mixture in center of breast. Bring ends together and secure with skewer or toothpick. Re-coat with breadcrumb mixture, pressing breast down slightly to flatten. Set on plate covered with wax paper. Repeat until all breasts are filled. (if you have leftover ricotta mixture, you can place a tablespoon on top of each browned breast before baking.) In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add chicken breasts and brown lightly on all sides, adding more olive oil to pan as needed. In a large baking pan, place ½ jar marinara sauce. Place browned chicken breasts on their side in pan. Remove skewers/toothpicks. Top breasts with remaining sauce. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove foil & place slices of Mozzarella on each breast. Brown under broiler until mozzarella is melted and lightly browned.

To serve: Ladle marinara sauce on pasta and place chicken breast beside it. I slice the chicken breast crosswise into ½ inch thick rounds. The roulettes make a beautiful presentation. This is a really rich and flavorful mixture so do not use so much sauce on breasts that is drowns out the flavor of the ricotta mixture.

This recipe takes some time but is well worth it. This recipe freezes beautifully. After baking the hour, remove pan from oven. Skip the Mozzarella step. Allow pan to cool and then freeze. When you are ready to serve it, defrost thoroughly. Bake in oven 30 minutes at 375. Remove from oven and place Mozzarella slice on each breast. Follow step(s) above.

This is a “WOW” recipe and will knock the socks off your guests!

Last edited by brokenbar; February 6, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old February 7, 2009   #39
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Dang, brokenbar! I want to live at your house.

I'm drooling on my keyboard...
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2009   #40
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

"For Heaven's Sake, Chris! It's hard to read a recipe with a wad of worms there next to it. LOL!"

Everytime I go through the recipes and see this avatar, I get the willies! The only way they look appealing is if I imagine taking them down to my chickens.
Old February 7, 2009   #41
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I just got done making this (which reminded me to post the recipe) for a dinner we have every year for the Neighbors...FIVE COURSES Eat your heart out!

Menu
1.st Course: Cappasante con la salsa del Mango y Melone(Citrus Vodka Marinated & seared sea scallops in a tangy mango, Papaya, Kiwi & melon salsa)

2nd Course: Minestra del Tortellini di miscuglio del giardino (Tortellini in a garden medley soup)

3rd Course:Antipasto ala Siciliano (Select cheeses and meats in a lettuce, marinated artichoke & olive salad)

4th Course: Prime Rib or Chicken Parmigiana ala Neopolitano (breaded and lightly seared chicken breasts filled with a Ricotta, olive, Itailian sausage, bel pepper & mushroom filling & topped with Mozzarella cheese and simmered in a tart Marinara sauce.) Served with Orage-glazed carrots, shredded potato cups filled with twice-baked potatoes & Sun Dried Tomato Parmesian Bread.

5th Course: Sensazione del Raso (Silk Sensation. Decadent crème d caramel layered with chocolate Mousse and topped with crushed toffee..)

Last edited by brokenbar; February 9, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old February 10, 2009   #42
Penny
Tomatovillian™

All i can say is PRINT
Thanks for sharing
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #43
happydog
Tomatovillian™

I bow to your culinary prowess. I could no more host a dinner party like that than I could pilot a spaceship to Planet Tomato.

I'm doing good to get the meat and potatoes out at the same time. Roughly.

Lucky neighbors!
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #44
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

brokenbar - you're letting the secret out - we're learning just how good it can be in Wyoming! Careful!

happydog - <snort> Planet Tomato ! Coffee irrigation complete...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #45
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, now, how do we RSVP without an invitation???? I'm not a party crashing type, but this is tempting.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote