Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old August 31, 2018   #1
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Default Instant Pot - easy basic tomato sauce (SO easy!)

https://foodscienceinstitute.com/201...n-instant-pot/

Have been using this for several batches. It's easy & fast. If you set the heat right for the stovetop simmer, the bottom won't burn and you only need occasionally stir.

I added about 4-5 cloves garlic per batch. I leave seeds in and skins on, cook it simmer it, take out the bay leaves, run it all through the blender, then freeze it. Paste tomatoes like Roma willl make a denser sauce, and slicers like Brandywines and beefsteaks will produce a thinner sauce. Simmer the 30 minutes on the stove seems about right for Roma or San Marzano sauce. I had to simmer longer for mixed-type sauce made from slicers.

I fill the pot up to about 1.5" from the very top. Tomatoes cook down. You're going to need extra gaskets for your pressure cooker after this because your original will be orange and will smell like sauce for a long time. I prefer the red & blue ones from Instant Pot store because they resist odors better and are stiffer and more dimensionally stable. Same price as the stupid stretchy translucent ones, too.

• 1 Tb salt
  • 1 Tb sugar
  • 1 minced onion
  • 2-3 Tb chopped parsley - dried 1.5 TBSP
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 Tb chopped basil -- dried 1 TBSP
  • 1 Tb oregano - dried use the same
  • (I add 4-5 cloves garlic, either whole or chopped. I am going to blender this later anyhow.)
  • lemon juice (1 Tb per jar) - Omitted since I am freezing not canning.

Last edited by MadCow333; August 31, 2018 at 12:55 PM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #2
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Don't have an Instant Pot? Don't despair. Here are some altternates on sale for a short while.

Aldii: Ambiano 6qt. Gets good reviews from Instant Pot owners. Is high pressure only which has zero downside for this since you cook the sauce at high pressure. $39.99 while supplies last. It got marked down to $29.99 or below here last year when it was slow selling.
https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specia...essure-cooker/

Aldi also has $3.99 springform and bundt pans that will work in 6qt pressure cookers for cheesecakes, meatloaf, etc. The loaf pan won't fit the 6qt but does fit in the 8qt IP. The bundt pan also fits in the 3qt "mini" IP.

Second deal: WalMart 8qt Farberware on sale online. $53 something in copper color. About $65 in stainless. $1.25 discount for in-store pickup here. ymmv. Again, this one is high pressure only but people seem to really like it. The copper one is 1/2 the price of an 8 qt Instant Pot Duo. High pressure only is more like a Lux.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberwar...oker/266442000
I ordered om Aug 25 and was supposed to receive it Aug 31 but it's going to be another day. Shipped from California.

The big sales for actual Instant Pot were Amazon Prime Days, and then there will be good sales for November Black Friday through Cyber Week. Kohl's sales year 'round are good IF you have a Kohl's charge and Kohl's cash and stack coupons and all of that.

Home Depot, this Magic Chef when it goes on sale for $54 - $59 or so. $54.99 right now. It has low press on fish and steam. Is pretty close to the IP Duo in capabilities. A bit nicer cooker than the Aldi one or Farberware. Has a stainless inner pot. I have this one and an Instant Pot Duo Plus and also had an Instant Pot Duo V2. The IPs are not overwhelmingly greater. This Magic Chef uses IP gasketts and inner pots. Could have come out of the same factory. The quality is just as good.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...sure+cooker%7D

Last edited by MadCow333; August 31, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old August 31, 2018   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the info. with so many new gadgets available in so many areas it becomes confusing very fast and the older we get the less interested I am in figuring them all out.
Old August 31, 2018   #4
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

My 8qt Farberware is ready for pickup at WalMart tomorrow, if I can only find the time.

A man on an Instant Pot forum said he found no difference in tomatoes cooked 10 minutes vs. ones cooked 20-25, so he only cooks his 10. With juicy slicers, I could see that. With some dense paste tomatoes, I think what the recipe author said is true, that they need more time to soften.