Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2015   #61
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Where is everybody? How did everyone fare with the storm?

Barb - how is your wrist doing now that therapy and all is over?

I miss seeing everyone's posts.

Ginny-Florida
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #62
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,
Here I am and what storm? By the way, enjoyed your pictures.
I am starting the process of planting and transplanting things into the garden. Planted a few short rows of Jade II Bush beans this weekend. Transplanted 2 Tomatillos into grow bags and hope to start transplanting Broccoli into a raised bed this week. Many of my tomato plants are also ready for transplant. Just have to find the time.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #63
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I only had rain and it was not even that bad. That was a relief.

I have not been posting much because I have been so busy. I have planted 25 SWCs at the demonstration garden, 6 at my daughter's house and 12 at my house this past week. I still have to plant 5 at the extension office and 3 at a friend's herb farm. I have 12 more tomatoes to plant and my cucumbers that I started in soil blocks will be ready to plant in SWCs this week. I also planted my Kentucky Wonder bean today. And my 60 Datil plants are ready for me to start seed saving.

The Brandywine Dark cherry is going to be one of the first to produce. That plant is so vigorous. It is already blooming and has a very impressive root system. I can't wait to try it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #64
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Larry,

How do you use the tomatillos? I have never tried cooking with them yet... lol. Not sure why as I pretty much like everything.

Good luck with the transplanting and such. Can't wait to see which tomato plants do well for you and which ones you really like.

Ginny-Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #65
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I only had rain and it was not even that bad. That was a relief.

I have not been posting much because I have been so busy. I have planted 25 SWCs at the demonstration garden, 6 at my daughter's house and 12 at my house this past week. I still have to plant 5 at the extension office and 3 at a friend's herb farm. I have 12 more tomatoes to plant and my cucumbers that I started in soil blocks will be ready to plant in SWCs this week. I also planted my Kentucky Wonder bean today. And my 60 Datil plants are ready for me to start seed saving.

The Brandywine Dark cherry is going to be one of the first to produce. That plant is so vigorous. It is already blooming and has a very impressive root system. I can't wait to try it.
Kay - Yowza! That is a lot of SWC's at a lot of places. Do you manage all of those also? This is the busy time of year with everyone working on Fall crops.

Happy Gardening to everyone!!

Ginny-Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #66
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

And there is that name again. Brandywine Dark Cherry
I'd sure like have a couple of those seeds, but for my spring garden, not the fall.
Larry
Old August 31, 2015   #67
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hi Larry,

How do you use the tomatillos? I have never tried cooking with them yet... lol. Not sure why as I pretty much like everything.

Good luck with the transplanting and such. Can't wait to see which tomato plants do well for you and which ones you really like.

Ginny-Florida
I have not grow Tomatillos before. I have the purple ones. They have been growing in 5" pots like bad weeds. I read, if you leave on the plant long enough and they turn purple that they are quite sweet and tangy. I hope to try them fresh and cook with them also. If they work out I may try one of the green varieties in the spring.
Thanks to you, I have many tomato varieties to grow this fall. I am anxious to see which ones work for me.
Thanks, Larry
Old August 31, 2015   #68
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ginny,

I really liked your kitchen herb plants- you really have a green hand. My wrist is mostly better; range of motion is great - I still can't put much weight on it but every week has improvement.

Just sowing tomato seeds; nothing to look at.

Larry - is it time to grow broccoli? I was thinking of sowing seeds yesterday b/c it rained all day and couldn't get out, but then thought it was too hot. Last year I didn't start them until November; and then it was so hot by April that I didn't get much of a crop.

Also, if you want BCD, I have tons -PM me your address and I will mail them. - I sowed 4 just to make sure the germination rate was good for the MMMM swap and I have 4 healthy seedlings. It probably did the best of any of my seeds in the window while we were gone for a week.

Speaking of leaving plants while away - the Dwarfs as a whole do great unattended inside. All of my dwarfs (small transplants now look pretty good).

Also, I planted BCP (Pink) had seeds from the same vendor but never got around to growing them. When I left I had zero germination, brought some to NC with me - still no germination. Sowed some last week when we returned and yesterday just to make sure sowed about 6 more. I finally saw one peeking through so hopefully will get some plants.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #69
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Here's my herb garden (that had separate pots in the window) transplanted into one pot and placed outside of the hotel near the patio area. I stopped by the front desk and asked them if they thought it would get stolen. They said, why don't you put a note on it saying please don't take this. I asked - Will that help? And a guy walking through the lobby who heard our conversation said - No it won't help. And I asked why not? He said, because I'm going to take it.... pot and all... lol.

Anyways, I leave in a week (hubby will be here 6 more weeks) and I can't take it on a plane. But it made me feel good to have the plants in the window and to transplant them... even if they do end up disappearing. Stay tuned.

Ginny in Florida.

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 31, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old August 31, 2015   #70
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hi Ginny,

I really liked your kitchen herb plants- you really have a green hand. My wrist is mostly better; range of motion is great - I still can't put much weight on it but every week has improvement.

Larry - is it time to grow broccoli? I was thinking of sowing seeds yesterday b/c it rained all day and couldn't get out, but then thought it was too hot. Last year I didn't start them until November; and then it was so hot by April that I didn't get much of a crop.

Also, if you want BCD, I have tons -PM me your address and I will mail them. - I sowed 4 just to make sure the germination rate was good for the MMMM swap and I have 4 healthy seedlings. It probably did the best of any of my seeds in the window while we were gone for a week.

Speaking of leaving plants while away - the Dwarfs as a whole do great unattended inside. All of my dwarfs (small transplants now look pretty good).

Also, I planted BCP (Pink) had seeds from the same vendor but never got around to growing them. When I left I had zero germination, brought some to NC with me - still no germination. Sowed some last week when we returned and yesterday just to make sure sowed about 6 more. I finally saw one peeking through so hopefully will get some plants.
Barb,

So good to hear your wrist is improving. That's great news... :-)

Keep us posted on how the Brandywine Cherry Pink taste compared to the Brandywine Cherry Dark. I left the Brandywind Cherry Dark plant that I planted in the summer at my mom's and it was terribly neglected but the last time I was there it had three tomatoes starting to blush. I should have picked them and taken them with me... lol But I didn't. Will start some next week with my fall crop.

Ginny in Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #71
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hi Ginny,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes now would be a good time to start Broccoli seeds. I use Premium Crop F1 seeds, which produce a nice head of broccoli and holds well in the garden. They appear to have no side shouts which is fine with me. When I harvest I like to have new transplants ready to go in. I've been able to squeeze 3 crops in the last few years.
Premium Crop is advertised as 58 days until maturity. I find that they are longer in my first crop, when it is hotter and shorter than 58 days in the middle crop when it is substantially cooler.
My first crop usually goes in early September, my second in December and my 3rd goes in in March. I harvest my last Broccoli in early June.
Thanks so much for the seed offer. BDC sounds like it is so tasty.
Larry
Old August 31, 2015   #72
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - where do you get the Premium Crop F1 seeds?

(I've only used Packman - lots of side shoots - I've grown 2 years now; first year same plants had broccoli until June (I shaded though). Last year it was hotter, didn't shade. I grow in the ground (sand). I've experimented with Root Pouches, Raised Beds, and ground and ground always did best.

Says 54 days, but it seems MUCH longer.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #73
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny I only have to take care of the 25 at the demonstration garden and my 24 after everything is planted. Some of the last 12 are going into root pouches. I just have not decided which ones.

I decided to not grow broccoli this year. I love it but it takes up so much room for the yield. I will be starting kale and collards soon. I grew two varieties of collards last year that I love. North Carolina Yellow has smaller leaves and is so tender. Alabama Blue has a striking color and when planted with the yellow one makes a pretty bed. I don't like the traditional Georgia collards. They get too large and tough.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #74
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny I only have to take care of the 25 at the demonstration garden and my 24 after everything is planted. Some of the last 12 are going into root pouches. I just have not decided which ones.

I decided to not grow broccoli this year. I love it but it takes up so much room for the yield. I will be starting kale and collards soon. I grew two varieties of collards last year that I love. North Carolina Yellow has smaller leaves and is so tender. Alabama Blue has a striking color and when planted with the yellow one makes a pretty bed. I don't like the traditional Georgia collards. They get too large and tough.
Always learn something new here. Those collards sound like good ones to try. I'm going to look them up.

Ginny
Old September 1, 2015   #75
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Did you all like the Ambrosia Red or Ambrosia Gold better?

Ginny