Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old October 15, 2012   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

If I am understanding you correctly, sounds like what we would call grape leaves?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #17
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Moshou, Thanks much. I hope to start putting some of these up today if I can buy tomatoes.
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #18
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, sounds like what we would call grape leaves?

Grape leaves? No way!
Please tell me the right word I should use.
Old October 15, 2012   #19
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, I was thinking of grape leaves also. Maybe you can find what your speaking of on the internet and post a link ?
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #20
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Then grape leaves is the correct word
We use grapes for wine and leaves for pickled red tomatoes

To clean any doubt
http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi%C8%9B%C4%83_de_vie

Last edited by Moshou; October 15, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I was looking for confirmation of the term and found several references of Sarma (stuffed grape or cabbage leaves, Romanian sarmale) recipes stating a linkage between the two terms. Sarma is a savory dish of grape, cabbage or chard leaves rolled around a filling usually based on minced meat, or a sweet dish of filo dough wrapped around a filling often of various kinds of chopped nuts. It is found in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire from the Middle East to the Balkans and Central Europe.

For example from Wikipedia I found this: "Another kind of sarma are those rolled in (grape) vine leaves". and this too, "vine leaf (fresh or pickled)" with a link to Vitis.

I also found a similar linkage in certain dolma recipes that referred to grape leaves as vine leaves.

So it seems that vine leaves = grape leaves and is used in pickled recipes.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #22
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
So it seems that vine leaves = grape leaves and is used in pickled recipes.
You are perfecly right.
I was confused because 'grape leaves' sounds a little strange in Romanian as word 'grape' is used only for fruit and 'vine' only for plant

To roll our 'sarmale' (sarma in Turkish, dolma in Greek, golubtzi in Russian) we use cabbage, grape, chard and stevia leaves. Cabbage is used mostly, especially pickled, then grape leaves (fresh in season, pickled or refrigerated)

Last edited by Moshou; October 15, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #23
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Grape leaves were tucked into every jar of pickles back when my mom canned...she said they helped make them crisp. Not sure if that's true, but her pickles were great and we kids always aimed to be the first one to open a new jar so we could unfold that huge concord grape leaf and get at the tiniest cukes at the top of the jar.

I wouldn't have thought to pickle tomatoes but this sounds interesting. Keep us posted!
Old October 15, 2012   #24
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The recipe sounds great and is one I'd love to try. Thanks for posting it and clearing up the question about the vine/grape leaves. My only remaining question is what are cherry leaves?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #25
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Here's a recipe for pickled grape leaves that might help if you want to keep them available for use in recipes.

http://herbangardener.com/2009/08/01...-grape-leaves/

The whey needed in the recipe is easy to obtain. Buy a quart of plain organic unpasturized yogurt (this will have live lactobacilli). Line a colander with a clean dish towel and separate the curds from the whey by allowing the yogurt to drain in the colander for several hours.

This will give you about a pint of whey and a pint of curds.

Use the whey to make your pickled grape leaves and use the curds as you would cream cheese. (bagels anyone?) Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #26
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Father'sDaughter: One answer to your cherry leaf question http://theslowcook.blogspot.com/2008...f-pickles.html

Last edited by saltmarsh; October 15, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #27
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My only remaining question is what are cherry leaves?
It is not about cherry tomatoes, but cherry tree leaves
Old October 15, 2012   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

Moshou,

We don't have grape leaves here, sadly! But some years ago I learned to make mushroom pickle from some Russian friends, and we used black currant leaves - do you think that would be okay as a substitute for grape leaves in this recipe? They don't make a great wrapper like the grape, but they have a strong aroma. Still it might not be the best flavour for tomato.

This recipe sounds fantastic! I wish I had it a few weeks ago... maybe I can scrounge up enough cherries to make a tiny jar....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #29
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Bower,

we always add the black currant leaves to our pickled tomatoes and pickles, along with other spices.

I didn't see sugar in Moshou's recipe; we add it, as well. The tomatoes turn out sweet & sour. Yum!
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #30
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post

I didn't see sugar in Moshou's recipe; we add it, as well.
I do not like to be sweet. I better add 1-2 habaneros