Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old May 15, 2012   #1
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Default Whole pickled red tomatoes !

A cousin's ladyfriend, who is Romanian by birth (Not quite clear as to whether this recipe came from the old world or not) Brought an old country store pickle jar (3 gallon I'd guess) of whole pickled red tomatoes to our Thanksgiving get together.

Very little if any pickling spice, Just Apple cider vinegar, Lots of garlic, Dill weed and salt. No one had ever seen its like before. Never even heard of pickling ripe tomatoes. So the jar just sat there.

Now I love most anything sour. And a garlic dill pickle (made by a Waldensian) was one of the best things I had ever eaten. That along with simply not wanting the girl's feeling hurt led me to open the big jar and sample one...

Oh man ! These things were the bomb ! ! ! ! And when the family caught on, two thirds of the jar was emptied. She was kind enough to give me the rest. They lasted maybe a week and I want more !

The tomatoes used were 2-2.5 inches across and round (Any ideas) and made me think of a small Rutger.

If any of you have a detailed recipe (the girl's mother made these and she could only give a rough idea of how they were made) for these please share !
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I love pickled veggies. all kind of pickled veggies. I have only had pickled green tomatoes. These sound really good. You know Moshou lives in Romania, I might message him and ask him if he knows anything about pickling red tomatoes. He posted this recipe for nettles in the recipe forum and it was the bomb, so I am thinking he knows food pretty well!
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I love pickled veggies. all kind of pickled veggies. I have only had pickled green tomatoes. These sound really good. You know Moshou lives in Romania, I might message him and ask him if he knows anything about pickling red tomatoes. He posted this recipe for nettles in the recipe forum and it was the bomb, so I am thinking he knows food pretty well!
I wonder if they are Moneymakers. Well known in Europe, smallish reds.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #4
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

For a tasty, early small red round tomato, I like Stupice from Czechoslovakia. Have never pickled whole tomatoes either! Yum!
Old October 14, 2012   #5
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

This is the recipe I use for whole pickled red tomatoes
(Please excuse language mistakes)

For good results cherry tomatoes are the best. If is possible mix red cherries together with yellow (especially), black and chocolate ones. If you use other variety of tomatoes better pick small ones. No matter the variety of tomatoes you choose, they must be riped and hard.
ATTENTION: Do not use iodine salt

Ingredients

- 2.5 pounds of tomatoes as above
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5-6 bay leaves
- 5-6 leaf vine
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- cherry leaves (5-7, would be enough)
- coarse salt
- 1/2 cup of vinegar of 9 degrees in 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) brine
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper

Brine: 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) water, 1 tablespoon coarse salt peak.

Preparation:

Wash and drain well tomatoes, cherry leaves and vines.
Place in jar, first a layer of vine leaves and sprinkle some pepper and mustard seeds.
Then arrange tomatoes. Put garlic cloves, cherry and bay leaves through them.
Add remaining pepper and mustard seeds and cover with another layer of vine leaves.

Separately prepare the brine
Boil water, adding 1/2 cup (100ml) of vinegar and 1 tablespoon coarse salt peak in 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) water.

Pour over tomatoes hot vinegar brine, put the lid on immediately and give jars to dry covered with planket(s) until completely cool (1-2 days).

Then store in the pantry. Good for eat after two weeks.

**MODERATOR NOTE - recipe does not include instructions for water bath canning. Covering veggies with hot brine is not sufficient to kill botulism spores if present. Use at your own risk**

Last edited by Moshou; October 14, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2012   #6
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

JohnWayne,

Take a look and see if this is similar to what you're looking for. I got it by dogpiling brined ripe tomato recipe.

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/pickled-tomatoes-in-brine

**MODERATOR NOTE - recipe does not include instructions for water bath canning. Covering veggies with hot brine is not sufficient to kill botulism spores if present. Use at your own risk**
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2012   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

dogpiling?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2012   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks John and Moshou. I never had pickled red tomatoes before and you can bet I will be trying them! That idea just sounds delicious!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2012   #9
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

nancyruhl, http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/home

claud
Old October 14, 2012   #10
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Moshou, That looks about right and thank you so much for posting ! I do have a couple of questions though. I have no clue what "Leaf Vine" is. And when you say 9 degrees on the vinegar, I assume your speaking of 9 % acidity ?

Saltmarsh, I thought I was done for the year, but if my grower has any late tomatoes I'll be putting some up from both Moshou's recipe and your link.

This is simply awesome ! If you guys (anyone who happens to be reading this) had any idea of just how good these things are ! Thanks so much to all of you !
Old October 14, 2012   #11
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

JohnWayne, if you do try the recipes please update the thread and let us know how they turned out.
Old October 14, 2012   #12
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

I promise that if I can get the tomatoes, I will do just that ! I will call the grower tomorrow and if he has them I'll drive the 50 miles to get 50 or 75 lbs.

I am worried about the strength of the vinegar though. The change from 9% down to 5% is a big one (to make the recipe correct) and I have no sure idea on where I could maybe find the stronger stuff. But I'm still looking !
Old October 14, 2012   #13
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

JohnWayne, Moshou's recipe call for 1/2 cup of 9% vinegar, if you use 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup of 5% vinegar and decrease the water in the brine by 1/3 cup it should be about the same as his recipe. Claud
Old October 14, 2012   #14
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

OK,I'll give that a try.
Old October 15, 2012   #15
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
Moshou, That looks about right and thank you so much for posting ! I do have a couple of questions though. I have no clue what "Leaf Vine" is. And when you say 9 degrees on the vinegar, I assume your speaking of 9 % acidity ?
1. "Leaf vine" May be I do not use the right word. In my meaning vine makes grapes
2. Vinegar acidity. I think that Saltmarsh wrote the right solution

Last edited by Moshou; October 15, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote