Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old December 25, 2014   #46
beeman
Tomatovillian™

For the first time this year we froze the sauce toms for 24 hours, removed the skins easily after thawing them out over a collander. This drained out a mass of juice water, clear as a bell but tastes very strong tomato.
We then made sauce as usual, but thicker than normal, and really tasty.
The freezing saves the hours of cooking trying to thicken it up, so the taste in my opinion is even better this year. Will use this method in future as it's definitely better.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #47
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, the original recipe is gone. Do I remember correctly - it is just tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh basil, and probably some oregano or something? Olive oil? Anything else?
Old August 17, 2015   #48
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default oven roasted heirloom tomato sauce (orhts)

tam91,
You got it. The evoo is important. We upgraded from the oxo food mill to a kitchen aid attachment.
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #49
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Tom, if you see this, your photos from a few yrs ago are amazing. I can imagine what your kitchen smelled like. What temp do you roast the toms at and for how long?
Old August 17, 2015   #50
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

It's been a while since I made oven roasted tomato sauce, but I do remember how nice the kitchen smelled! As I recall I believe I set the oven to 400F and roasted them until the skins began to caramelize. My oven at the time tended to read low, so the temperature may have been as high as 425F.

I haven't grown paste tomatoes for a while, but decided I will next year and put up some roasted sauce.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #51
Ronaye

Default Oven roasted tomato sauce

This is what I copied and cooked from last year and it was wonderful!
Ronaye

I’ve been making a lot of oven roasted sauce lately. It’s an easy way to turn your excess tomato harvest into a tasty, rich sauce to enjoy throughout the year. I originally got the idea from critterologist on Dave’s Garden, who wrote an informative and detailed article about it there. She says it is "pure ambrosia", and I agree! I’ll never go back to slaving over a hot stove top to cook down tomatoes into sauce again. This method frees up my time to get some other things done while the sauce is roasting, and tastes much better.
Any tomatoes you have on hand can be used. Meaty paste types are not necessary. Got a buildup of cherry tomatoes? Throw ‘em in too.
The recipe is rather flexible, and has been modified slightly for my own preferences. I tend to use what is on hand if I have most of the ingredients and don’t have time or inclination to run to the store. When I made a batch last fall, I didn’t have onions, but plenty of garlic. So, I just doubled the amount of garlic (we really like garlic!) I’ve also made it without oregano and used more basil, added more peppers for a spicier sauce, etc.
I should add that based on reader feedback, if you put fresh basil or oregano leaves or other ingredients on the top like I have pictured, they can burn. It is probably best to combine everything by stirring a bit before you pop your pan(s) into the oven.
Here’s my basic recipe:
5-7 pounds of tomatoes, washed – halved or quartered depending on size
1 large onion, or two small – diced
18-25 garlic cloves, peeled
2-3 moderate heat peppers, jalapenos or similar
1/4-1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil (I use Colavita)
2 Tbs of dried oregano or Italian seasoning – or fresh oregano if available
1-2 Tbs dried basil, or large handful of fresh basil
Combine ingredients in roasting pan(s), and cook at 400 – 450F for 2 to 4 hours to desired consistency – larger batches may take longer
Salt to taste – I don’t usually find the need to add salt
Let cool and run through food mill
Peeling and deseeding tomatoes is not necessary. The original recipe suggests coring the tomatoes, but I don’t bother as my Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer does a great job at removing seeds, skin and cores. Be sure and cut off any bad spots, including severe cracking in case mold or bacteria is present.
I usually process several hundred pounds of tomatoes a year, so the Spremy was a great investment for me. However, if you are looking for a more affordable alternative (about $50), some who have tried this recipe say the OXO Food Mill works great too.
Note: If you don’t have a food mill, you can still make this sauce. I would recommend blanching and peeling the tomatoes first and removing the cores, though. Peppers would need to be diced – or use powder. Use a hand-held potato masher or food processor to break the roasted tomatoes up a bit. Finished product will be more chunky than what you would get by using a food mill, but is still delicious.
Tip: To quickly and easily peel the garlic, separate each bulb into individual cloves, and microwave on high for one minute between two paper plates (they may pop a bit, so don’t be startled.) Allow to cool for a few minutes before attempting to remove the clove covers, or you may burn your fingers. This will lightly "roast" the garlic and loosen the skins so that they slip right off. However, if you have a good quality food mill, you can likely throw in the garlic cloves without bothering to peel them first if you wish.
You will need to periodically check on the roasting tomatoes. I like to set a clip-on timer for about 45 min and take a look every time the timer goes off. Stir or mash occasionally to distribute the bottom layers to the top. You do want some light blackening of the cut tomato surfaces to occur, but not burning. The recommended temperature in the original recipe is 450F, but I sometimes roast at 400F so I can extend the time between checking/stirring while I am doing other things. As the sauce starts to really thicken up, you’ll want to pay more frequent attention.
Tip: I use a hand-held potato masher a couple of times during the roasting process, as it seems to speed things up a bit.
Roasted sauce can be made in small or large batches, just adjust the recipe accordingly. I prefer to make very large batches when my harvest starts to pile up, as it’s a quick way to clear oodles of counter space. I save a lot of seeds and like to combine my seed saving with sauce making whenever possible, so I don’t waste the tomatoes after extracting the seeds. Larger batches may take more time, hence the wide range of suggested cooking times. Cooking to a thick consistency will take longer, so will using the lower suggested temperature range.
This sauce is probably only safe to keep in the refrigerator for about 5 – 7 days tops. For longer term storage, put into freezer bags, label and lay the bags flat in a stack in your freezer. I’ve found that a quart sized freezer bag filled to about a 1″ thickness when laid flat is plenty for a dinner for two. Roasted sauce can be pressure canned, but the boiling water bath method is considered unsafe, mainly because of the olive oil. Consult the current Ball Blue Book or other authoritative canning guidelines for recommended times and procedures if you are considering canning the sauce.
35-40 pounds of tomatoes make about a gallon of sauce, but if you don’t cook the sauce down to an almost paste-like consistency as I do, you may end up with a little more volume. A gallon may not sound like a lot of finished product for all those tomatoes, but one cup will sauce about a pound of pasta. Roasted sauce is very concentrated and rich.
When reheating sauce to serve, do not simmer for extended periods of time. Doing so can cook out some of that garden fresh goodness, which was the whole point in making this wonderful oven roasted sauce in the first place. Warm on medium or med-low heat to the desired temperature, then combine with cooked pasta and serve. If adding ground meats (sausage, ground chuck, etc), brown and drain, then combine with sauce and heat.
Old August 18, 2015   #52
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Ronaye, Thank you for posting this recipe! I thought I had it saved (twice)
and looked for it to post a link only to discover the site no longer exists
(the Settfest site). Thanks for copying the recipe and repeating it here!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #53
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Yes, thanks indeed! It's in the oven now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 TAM_8969 small.jpg (103.1 KB, 146 views)
Old August 19, 2015   #54
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

We've been making this kind of stuff this year, and the trick my wife came up with is to put olive oil in the pan first (we use half sheet pans) then the herbs, onion, garlic, and any other stuff, then the tomatoes, salt and pepper topped with more olive oil. Keeping the herbs, especially, covered with tomatoes and the use of the shallow sheet pan minimizes both burnt herbs and any need to stir or mash during the roast.
Old August 19, 2015   #55
coronabarb

Tracy, that looks SO good! Shawn, that's a great tip. Crispy herbs are not so good.
Old August 19, 2015   #56
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's my first attempt. It is based on Craig L's recipe in Epic Tomatoes, but I added jalapenos and Jimmy Nardellos and more garlic! It was most excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0150.JPG (449.8 KB, 133 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #57
coronabarb

I haven't had breakfast yet! You guys are making me hungry
Old August 19, 2015   #58
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I actually poked all the herbs under the tomatoes. After the first bit, it didn't seem to matter how I stirred it, they didn't burn.
Old August 19, 2015   #59
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

The photos are great!! I'm so glad this recipe was saved. I would have been
horrified to have all the ingredients and then discover no recipe!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #60
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

The pics look delicious.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote